Gryphons shut out Gaels

Gryphons shut out Gaels

Photo by Kyle Rodriguez

GUELPH, Ont. – Quarterback Jazz Lindsey threw for 345 yards and three touchdowns to help lead the No. 7 Guelph Gryphons to a 66-0 victory over the Queen's Gaels in front of 7,855 excited Homecoming fans on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Stadium in Guelph. The Gryphons move up to 3-1 on the season while the Gaels drop to 0-4.

Lindsey (Markham, Ont.) completed 23 of his 35 attempts for 345 yards and three touchdowns, and would also rush for 52 yards and two touchdowns, with his longest run being 16 yards.
The offence was firing on all cylinders in their Homecoming game of the 2014 season, racking up 679 total yards including 353 through the air and another 336 on the ground. A total of six different Gryphons found the end zone.

Rob Farquharson (Niagara Falls, Ont.) would lead the offence rushing for 170 yards and one touchdown. Farquharson would average 8.8 yards per carry and a long of 25 yards.


Alex Charette (St. Catharine's, Ont.) would lead the receivers with 10 receptions for 137 yards and one touchdown. A'Dre Fraser (Halifax) would be close behind with eight receptions for 127 yards and one touchdown.

Cameron Walker (London, Ont.) would lead the defense with eight unassisted tackles and two sacks for a loss. Iain Hutchison would be close behind with six unassisted tackles and one assisted for a total of 6.5.
The Gryphon defence came out strong, shutting down the first drive of the game with a big sack on Queen's quarterback Billy McPhee (Burlington, Ont.). Ryan Nieuwesteeg (Niagara Falls, Ont.) would set the Gryphons up with excellent field position on the 39-yard line in Queen's territory on the return. Guelph would be unable to take advantage of the field position after an illegal motion call, and Daniel Ferraro (Mississauga, Ont.) would make a 40-yard field goal, making it 3-0 for the Gryphons early in the first quarter.
The Gryphon defence would continue to pin down the Gaels, forcing them to convert on third and longs. The Gaels would try to fake a field goal, but would be unsuccessful, setting the Gryphons up deep in their own territory. Big runs by Rob Farquharson (Niagara Falls, Ont.) had Guelph able to battle out of their own half. A connection with A'Dre Fraser (Halifax, NS.) would set the Gryphons up on the 10-yard line, with Jazz Lindsey (Markham, Ont.) keeping the ball to run it in for the first touchdown of the game to make 10-0 after the extra point from Ferraro.
Guelph would score again in the first quarter after a pass to Alex Charette (St. Catherines, Ont.) would move the Gryphons up to the 16-yard line. The Gaels would draw a roughing the passer call which would move the Gryphons up to the one yard line, with Lindsey scoring another touchdown after a quarterback keep, making it 17-0 after the extra point.
In the second quarter, a return by Nieuwesteeg would put the Gryphons in a good position on the field again. Farquharson would get the ball up to the 27-yard line. Lindsey would fake the hand off to Farquharson, connecting with Lucas Spagnuolo (Grimsby, Ont.) in the end zone to make 24-0, with the extra point. The Gryphons would find the end zone again before the end of the quarter after Farquharson rolled through defenders for a touchdown. After a rouge point by Ferraro, the Gryphons would end the first half up 32-0.
Gryphons continued with their momentum with a long pass from the 40-yard line to A'Dre Fraser from Lindsey. With the extra point, the touchdown would set Guelph ahead 39-0 at the beginning of the third quarter. When they regained possession, the Gryphons put together yet another touchdown drive after starting at the 43-yard line. Johnny Augustine (Welland, Ont.) would find the end zone, making it 46-0 with the extra point.
Queen's would start the fourth quarter with a fumble, with Iain Hutchison recovering taking the ball to the 23 yard line. The Gaels would hold the Gryphons out of the end zone and Gabriel Ferraro would score a rouge point making it 47-0.
The Gryphons would score another touchdown after recovering a Queen's fumble, with Charette catching a long pass over the middle in the end zone, making it 54-0 with the extra point by Gabriel Ferraro (Mississauga, Ont.). Gabriel Ferraro would kick for a field goal and a rouge point in the fourth quarter making it 58-0. His brother Daniel Ferraro would kick for another rouge point after a long punt to make it 59-0 heading towards the end of the game.
Gryphon player Brandon Gordon (Toronto, Ont.) would put together a few big runs to move the team down to the 11-yard line towards the end of the quarter. It would be Augustine who would put the last touchdown on the board making it 66-0 after the extra point.
The Gryphons will hit the field again on Saturday October 4th against the Windsor Lancers in Windsor with the game set to kick off at 1 p.m. This coming week is a bye week for the Gryphon squad. 

Source: Guelph Gryphons

Yates Cup By the Numbers
November 12, 2014 Yates Cup By the Numbers
OUA In The Huddle - Week 10
October 29, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 10
OUA In The Huddle - Week 9
October 22, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 9
OUA In The Huddle - Week 8
October 15, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 8
OUA In The Huddle - Week 7
October 8, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 7
OUA In The Huddle - Week 6
October 1, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 6
September 27, 2014 GEE-GEES GET PAST BLUES
OUA In The Huddle - Week 5
September 24, 2014 OUA In The Huddle - Week 5
Gryphons shut out Gaels
September 20, 2014 Gryphons shut out Gaels