OUA Men's Hockey Roundup (Nov. 13)

Photo by Anton Mak
Photo by Anton Mak

November 8, 2017

Toronto 4 Western 1

Rookie forward Hunter Atchison notched two goals and added one assist in helping the University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team to a 4-1 victory over the Western Mustangs on Wednesday night (Nov. 8) in London, Ont.
First-year Blues netminder Frederic Foulem was solid between the pipes, posting 37 saves, including 17 in the second period, in his third win of the season.
With the victory, Toronto snaps a five-game losing streak and improves to 3-5-0 on the season.
The Mustangs opened the scoring 6:13 into the contest with a goal off the stick of Spenser Cobbold and held the 1-0 advantage at the first intermission.
It was all Toronto from there however as sophomore defenceman Evan MacEachern evened the score on the powerplay midway through the second period. MacEachern's point shot found its way through traffic into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.
The two teams were deadlocked at 1-1 after 40 minutes of action.
Atchison notched what would stand as the game-winner just 2:17 into the third period as he received a pass from Casey Knight, skated down the ice and split the defenceman, wiring the puck over the glove of Mustangs goalie Zach Springer.

Rookie forward Phil Chadder then notched his first career goal, receiving a pass from Atchison before sliding the puck five-hole to put U of T up 3-1.
Atchison added his second of the game just over three minutes later as linemate Connor Graham picked off the Mustangs at the blue line and skated in to slide a perfect cross-crease pass to Atchison on the back door.

Source: varsityblues.ca



Ryerson 3 Brock 4

The Brock University men's hockey team defeated the Ryerson Rams by the score of 4-3 Wednesday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre.

The Badgers opened the scoring four minutes into the first period as Ayden MacDonald and Dexter Webersetup Josh Timpano for his first goal of the season. Ryerson evened the score with four minutes left in the first as Matt Mistele beat Brock starting goaltender Clint Windsor. Marcus Hinds and Cavin Leth added the assists.

Midway through the second period, Brock's Sammy Banga recorded back-to-back goals to put Brock up 3-1 with eight minutes left in the period. The Rams Mistele would cut the lead to one, as he registered his second goal of the night and eighth of the campaign.

The Badgers regained the two goal lead one minute into the third period as Matt MacLeod setup Adam Lloyd for his second of the season. Ryerson's Leth would make it 4-3 with eight minutes left in regulation but that was as close as they would come as Brock collected their third win of the regular season.

In goal, Windsor recorded 41 saves for the victory. Ryerson's Taylor Dupuis collected 31 saves in the loss.

The Badgers return to action Friday night as they are on the road against the Laurier Golden Hawks.

Source: gobadgers.ca



November 10, 2017

York 5 Western 4

The York University Lions men's hockey team travelled to London, Ont., to take on the Western Mustangs Friday and escaped with a 5-4 shootout victory after surrendering a two-goal lead early in the third period.
The Mustangs took an early lead thanks to an unassisted goal by Spenser Cobbold. The rest of the first period remained quiet, but a flurry of activity in the second period led to frequent scoreboard updates.
Trevor Petersen, assisted by Derek Sheppard, scored the Lions' first goal of the game at the beginning of the second period. 11 minutes later, this was followed by another Lions goal, this time from Scott Feser. He was assisted by Josh LaFrance and Justin Bean.
Only two minutes passed before a third goal was scored for the Lions. It was Alex Mowbray's turn to slip the puck into the net. He was assisted by teammates Morgan Messenger and Stefano Pezzetta.
To wrap up scoring for the second period, the Mustangs regained control of the puck. Robert Polesello scored with the help of Cody Brown. The period ending with the Lions leading 3-2.
Sheppard scored within the first minute of play in the third period with the help of Colton Vannucci and Kyle Campbell. After this, the Mustangs quickly scored two more goals 59 seconds apart to tie up the score. These were scored by Cordell James and Mitchell Brooks. The two teams were still tied 4-4 at the end of the third, and a scoreless five-minute overtime forced them to enter a shootout.
Cobbold scored the only goal for the Mustangs. Feser and Sheppard scored for the Lions, and goaltender Mack Shieldsstood tall at the other end to secure the victory. Shields stopped 39 of the 43 shots he faced in regulation and overtime, while Western netminder Dan Davies made 35 saves.
The Lions improve to an 8-2 season record and continue to sit atop the OUA West standings. The Mustangs fall to 3-5-1 for the regular season.

Source: yorkulions.ca



Windsor 1 Waterloo 2

Waterloo Warriors defenceman Eric Diodati (Niagara Falls/) has a myriad of talents: he's a stalwart 200-foot hockey player, a diligent Arts and Business student, and he's even an accomplished musician. But on Friday night against the Windsor Lancers, Diodati's baseball skills helped end his team's losing skid.

Diodati batted in a waist-high rebound from a Markson Bechtold (Strathmore/) blast in the extra session, lifting the Warriors to a 2-1 overtime win over the Lancers in the annual Think Pink fundraising game at the Columbia Icefield Arena.

The victory snaps a four-game winless skid for the Warriors, who improve to 4-3-2 on the season. Michael Morgan(Scarborough/) also scored for the Warriors, while Diodati added an assist for a two-point night and Mike Morrison(Hamilton/) made 25 stops to earn the win.

Meanwhile, the Lancers saw their record fall to 3-4-2, as Ryan Taylor scored the only goal for Windsor. The defeat also spoiled the homecoming of Cambridge native and former Elmira Sugar Kings goaltender Jonathan Reinhart, who turned aside 29 shots in a losing cause.

The night was also highlighted by the ceremonies during the first intermission, where Warriors Nick Halagian (St. Catharines/)Zac Coulter (Owen Sound/)Mike Moffat (Waterloo/), and Lee Dower (Conception Bay/) – along with arena PA announcer Jay Shaw – had their heads shaved. The quintet has teamed up to form a fundraising team for the Warriors' tenth annual Think Pink campaign to raise money and awareness for Breast Cancer research.

Off the opening faceoff, the Warriors controlled the bulk of the action: they outshot Windsor 15-8 in the period, and Morgan's wrister off the rush staked Waterloo to a 1-0 lead. But the extended first intermission seemed to help the visitors regroup, as they were a different club in the middle stanza – the Lancers outshot Waterloo 10-8 in the frame, and Taylor tied things up at 1-1 when he hammered home a rebound off a turnover and wraparound attempt by Chris Scott.

Both teams had chances to claim the difference-making goal in the third, but the goaltenders extended the night to a 3-on-3 overtime session. And just over a minute into the fourth period, the Warriors won it: Diodati led the rush and dropped a pass to a streaking Bechtold, before driving the net himself. Bechtold hammered a rocket slap shot that Reinhart got a piece of, sending it into the air, where Diodati batted it home on the doorstep for the game-winning goal.

Source: athletics.uwaterloo.ca



Ryerson 5 Toronto 2

TORONTO, Ont.  –  The taste of victory always tends to alleviate the sting of defeat, and a big 5-2 win against the University of Toronto Blues at Varsity Stadium on Friday night was exactly what the Ryerson Rams needed to get over their loss to the Brock Badgers two nights earlier.

Coming into Friday night’s game at the bottom of the Western Conference, the Varsity Blues would have to throw all the could at the visiting Rams in the hopes of achieving an upset.  As the first period progressed, it seemed as the Blues were prepared to do just that, as they nearly matched the visiting team in shots taken.  However, even with all they could muster it would be the Rams who would strike first blood, as forward Cavin Leth (Taber, Alta.) tucked in a wrist shot four minutes into the period to put the Rams ahead.

However, the Blues had a response to this, and just four minutes later forward Max Lindsay (Ancaster, Ont.) forced in a goal off of a lucky bounce to equalize the scoreboard at 1-1.  The Rams, however, tenacious in their recent efforts, would not be going into the locker room without a lead, as Daniel Poliziani (Burlington, Ont.) pushed the Rams to a 2-1 lead with just a minute left to play in the first. 

The second-period would take on a similarly offensive heavy tone, as the Blues attempted to do all they could to stay in the game.  And they certainly got that chance when, at the fifth minute of the period, defenseman Evan MacEachern (Dartmouth, N.S.) would provide the Blues with the equalizer.  

However, there isn’t much that an opposing team can do to stultify the Rams offensive lineup when they are determined to come away with a win, and there would be no exception to this rule this evening.  Just two minutes after MacEachern’s goal, Rams Captain Alex Basso (Toronto, Ont.), would once again give the Rams a 3-2 lead.  

Rams forwards Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.), and Eric DeLaurentis (Markham, Ont.), respectively, would put the final nails in the coffin in the third period as they would make the game 5-2 and completely out of reach for the home team. 

Source: ryersonrams.ca



Brock 4 Laurier 5

WATERLOO, Ont. (November 10, 2017) – Anthony Conti scored the lone goal of the shootout in the seventh round as the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team outlasted the Brock Badgers 5-4 on Friday night at the Waterloo Recreation Complex.

Conti, a third year native of North Vancouver, B.C., was the only player to find the back of the net during the shootout in what was a stark contrast to regulation play that saw the teams go back and forth on the scoreboard. His shot beat Badgers netminder Alex Brooks-Potts of Burlington, Ont., to help Laurier move to 6-2-1 on the year.

Rookie Anthony Sorrention of Woodbridge, Ont., continued his strong start to his Laurier career as he scored twice in regulation for the purple and gold while Will Cook of Port Stanley, Ont., and Neil Aird of Ancaster, Ont., added singles for the Hawks who roared out to a 3-0 lead in the contest.

Brandon Robinson of Pickering, Ont., chipped in with a pair of assists.

Brock (3-4-3) got goals from four different players as they rallied from a three-goal deficit and a two-goal deficit to force overtime.

Laurier netminder Colin Furlong of Cambridge, Ont., who stopped 35 of 39 shots through regulation, was spectacular in the shootout making seven saves to pick up the win.

Brooks-Potts took the loss in relief as he made 22 saves. Clint Windsor of Hamilton, got the start and allowed three goals on 13 shots in the first period.

Special teams were a big factor in the contest as each team tallied twice with the man advantage. Laurier finished the game 2-for-3 on the powerplay while the Badgers were a perfect 2-for-2.

The Hawks will be right back in action on Saturday night as they host the Windsor Lancers (3-4-2) for the first time since the Lancers upset Laurier in the first round of the OUA playoffs last year.

Source: laurierathletics.com



Carleton 4 Ottawa 2

OTTAWA, ON — The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team continued their winning ways on Friday night, overpowering the University of Ottawa (uOttawa) Gee-Gees 4-2 at the Minto Sports Complex.

The Ravens’ offence got fired up early, notching three of their four goals in the first period.

Two minutes into the opening frame, Ryan Van Stralen (Prescott, ON) buried his fifth marker of the season with Benji Curtis (Fredericton, NB) and Matthew Sozanski (Calgary, AB) earning assists.

Within 30 seconds, Carleton scored again when Fabian Walsh (Gloucester, ON) scored his fourth goal of the season after taking a pass from Brett Gustavsen (Scarborough, ON) and firing it past Gee-Gees goalie Graham Hunt.

The offence wasn’t finished their work in the first and added another goal when Dalen Hedges (Ottawa, ON) sniped his sixth goal of the season.

With two minutes left in the first frame, uOttawa forward Cody Drover redirected a point shot past Ravens netminder Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) to cut the lead to 3-1.

That was the end of the night for Gee-Gees starter Graham Hunt as he was replaced by Anthony Brodeur to start the second period.

Brodeur’s night got off to a bad start when only 11 seconds into the period Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) beat the Gee-Gees’ back-up for his eighth goal of the season.

The home side cut into Carleton’s lead early in the third when Gee-Gees forward Eric Locke scored, but the Ravens were able to close out the game despite a strong Gee-Gees attack in the third period.

Source: goravens.ca




Lakehead 1 Guelph 3

GUELPH – The performances keep getting better for the red-hot Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team. The Gryphons got a late third-period goal from Manny Gialedakis to down the Lakehead Thunderwolves 3-1 and extend their win streak to three games Friday night at Gryphon Centre Arena.
The decisive goal in an excellent game came with four minutes remaining – and it was highlight-reel stuff. With the game tied 1-1, the Gryphons controlled the puck in the Thunderwolves' zone and made three pretty passes, the last by Seth Swenson, who found Gialedakis near the left faceoff circle. The fourth-year Woodbridge, ON native made no mistake and buried one past goaltender Nic Renyard, who was forced out of position from the slick Gryphon passing. 

Lakehead had a chance to respond with a late Guelph penalty and a subsequent 6-on-4 opportunity but Andrew Kopstals found the empty net from a tough angle with 1:08 left to ice it, snapping the visitors' four-game win streak in the process.

"We expected and got a tough game," said head coach Shawn Camp. " We knew someone's streak was ending.

"We worked throughout the game and controlled the play. When we work hard like that and keep our game simple, our skill comes out. That winning goal was all tape-to-tape, one-touch passing.

"And it was nice to Andres rewarded for his hard work on the penalty kill."

Jason Da Silva was sharp for Guelph (5-3-1), turning away 26 of 27 shots faced. Cody Thompson had the other goal for the Gryphons, who have outscored opponents 11-3 during the three-game win streak.

"Both goalies were excellent tonight," said Camp. "Jason had another solid performance. He came up with some big saves at key times to help us win this one."
The Gryphons could have easily been up by multiple goals if not for Renyard's strong play, especially with his glove. But Guelph eventually got the goal they deserved as a more cautious second period was winding down. Josh McFadden (two assists) hit Thompson with a beautiful feed that sent him in on a partial breakaway, and while holding off a Lakehead defender, the third-year Mississauga, ON native lifted a shot over Renyard's blocker side for a 1-0 lead late in the period.

Thompson leads the Gryphons in both goals (five) and points (nine).

The hosts had a great opportunity to extend the lead early in the third period when Chris Brill-Morgancame out of the penalty box and Guelph produced a 3-on-1 chance. But the Gryphons couldn't convert and the puck went back down the ice, where Daniel Del Paggio got in on one of several Lakehead breakaways and fired a shot just underneath Da Silva's crossbar to tie the game 1-1.

The Gryphons played fast in the first period and dominated puck possession. Guelph threw lots at Renyard, who had to make several saves, including a few straight in a sequence where Swenson tried a wraparound and Nicholas Boyer let go a shot from right in front of the net. 

A few moments later, Guelph should have taken a 1-0 lead. Patrick Kudla undressed a Thunderwolves defenceman and found Scott Simmonds, whose initial shot was saved. J.P. Villeneuve banged a loose puck into the net but the official lost sight of it and waved the goal off.

The Gryphons registered 16 shots in a busy first period. Lakehead did produce a couple odd-man rushes, as well as two breakaways where Da Silva had to stand tall. Guelph finished with 37 shots on goal.

Source: gryphons.ca



Queen’s 2 UOIT 4

OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT men's hockey team earned its third victory of the season with a close 4-2 win over the Queen's Gaels Friday night at home.

The Ridgebacks opened the scoring with a goal from Jesse Baird (Brampton, Ont.) 14 minutes into the game. The goal was Baird's first in the OUA and he made sure it was one to remember as he deked through the defenders and beat the goalie blocker-side.

"It feels pretty good to get my first goal and to get it on a night when the team had a great performance and pulled off the win is pretty special," said Baird.

With UOIT dominating the offensive zone in the second period, they were able to put two more goals up on the board. The second goal of the game came off a rebound from Loren Ulett (Port Perry, Ont.), who is in his third season with the Ridgebacks. The third goal, scored in the second period, was a power play goal scored by Brennan Roy (Iroquois Falls, Ont.), making that his third of the season.

For a good part of the game it looked like UOIT might come away with a shutout win, but Queen's got on the board midway into the third period. Queen's forward and Calgary native, Ryan Bloom scored on a power play for the Gaels to give them their first goal of the game. Their second goal was from third year veteran, Slater Doggett with six minutes to go in the third.

When it looked like Queen's might complete a comeback, the Ridgebacks silenced those thoughts with their fourth goal of the game coming from defenseman Alex Yuill (Wellington, Ont.) with the net empty.

It was a rough game and UOIT was once again no stranger to the penalty box as they took eight minor penalties on the night. Queen's took their fair share of penalties as well, ending the night with a total of nine minors.

The goaltending on both sides was outstanding. Ridgebacks goaltender, Tyson Teichmann(Belleville, Ont.), earned his third win of the season while stopping a total of 33 shots. Queen's goaltender Jacob Brennan had himself a total of 31 saves on the night.

"Teich really kept us in it and gave us a fighting chance, making a lot of good saves and allowing us to get the win" said Baird.

The Ridgebacks hope to keep the momentum going as they head into their next game Saturday against the Ottawa Gee-Gees. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. at Campus Ice Centre.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



McGill 8 Laurentian 3

SUDBURY, ONT -- Christophe Lalonde scored twice and added a helper as McGill exploded for five second-period goals en route to an 8-3 road victory over the Laurentian University Voyageurs in OUA men's hockey at Countryside Arena, Friday.

It was the first meeting between these teams since McGill swept the Voyageurs in the OUA East quarter-finals last February and was McGill's eighth consecutive win over Laurentian, since a 5-2 setback at McConnell Arena on Oct. 18, 2014. The Redmen now own a 19-5-2 lifetime record in 26 meetings overall with the Voyageurs.

McGill had a lopsided 55-23 edge in shots. They led 1-0 after the opening period and 6-1 after two. Both teams tallied twice in the final stanza.

Lalonde opened the scoring on a power-play at 16:41 of the first period, then assisted on junior Jerome Verrier's goal to make it 3-0 at 7:17 of the middle stanza. just 88 seconds later, he potted what proved to the winning marker. The 5-foot-9, 188-pound Arts junior from Granby, Que., has six points in his last two contests and now owns a 6-3-9 record in 11 league games.

He was one of seven different Redmen to find the net. Joining Lalonde and Verrier on the scoresheet was freshman Michael Cramarossa, rookie Keanu Yamamoto, senior Jan Kaminsky (shorthanded), sophomore Samuel Tremblay and junior Redgie Bois.

With McGill ahead 5-0, Laurentian finally snapped their scoring drought when fifth-year senior Caleb Apperson, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound native of New Hamburg, Ont., struck on the power-play for his first of two goals. Rounding out the scoring was junior Blake Forslund of Owen Sound, who netted a PP marker for his fourth of the season with just 15 seconds remaining.

McGill starting goaltender Louis-Philip Guindon collected his seventh win in nine decisions. The kinesiology sophomore from St. Joseph du Lac, Que., kicked aside 14 of 15 shots in just two periods or work, lowering his goal-against average to 2.26 and his save percentage to .927. With McGill ahead by five goals after two periods, Guindon gave way to Joe Fleschler, a 6-foot-6, 223-pound economics junior from Westfield, N.J., who saved six of eight shots. Apperson's second goal of the contest, at 7:10 of the final stanza, snapped Fleschler's shutout streak at 115 minutes, 12 seconds.

Gunner Rivers, the starting goalie for LU, was beaten six times on 36 shots before being replaced by Devon Debastos in the third. He conceded two goals on 19 shots.

McGill, which leads the league in goals (48) and shorthanded markers (5), went 1-for-4 on the power-play, while the Voyageurs were 2-for-3. The Redmen PP unit, which was ranked 19th in the 20-team league two weeks ago, has moved up to 15th and is now operating at 11.9 per cent (7/59).  The PK squad is ranked 12th at 84.9 per cent efficiency (45/53).

The Redmen, who continue to lead the OUA East with a lofty 9-2 record, gained a point on the second-place UQTR Patriotes (7-1-2), who were upset 2-1 in overtime at RMC. It marked their first-ever loss to the Paladins, who celebrated their first win of the season and improved to 1-8-1. McGill's long road trip continues on Saturday in North Bay, Ont., when they confront the Nipissing Lakers (4-4-1) at the Memorial Gardens in a 7:30 p.m. puck drop. Meanwhile, Laurentian (2-7) will host Concordia (7-1-1) on Saturday evening.

REDMEN RAP: Samuel Labrecque, a 25-year-old native of Granby, Que., who starred along the McGill blueline from 2014 to 2016 has left the ECHL's Wichita Thunder and re-signed with his previous team, Villacher SV in Austria's elite league (EBEL), which is considered one of the top leagues in Europe. The 5-foot-8, 182-pound defenceman tallied 39 goals and 86 points in 81 career games overall with McGill from 2014 to 2016.

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



Other Scores:


Concordia 4 Nipissing 1



November 11, 2017

Western 2 Toronto 4

The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team defeated the Western Mustangs 4-2 on Saturday, November 11 at Varsity Arena.
With the win, the Blues advance to 4-6-0 (W-L-OTL), while the Mustangs drop to 3-6-1 early in the season.
Eight minutes into the first period, Toronto's captain Charlie Connell set up teammate Matt Campagna, who then deked around the Western defence and sniped the puck into the back of the net for the opening goal of the game.
With just three minutes left in the first period, Blues first-year sensation Hunter Atchison then scored a beautiful wrap around goal to put U of T up 2-0.
However, Western would respond just under seven minutes into the second period with a goal from Kyle Pettit.
The Mustangs tied the game at 16:20 in the second period with a shorthanded breakaway goal from Cordell James.
U of T would then go on to dominate the third period with Phil Chadder scoring a backhanded goal at the midway point of the period and Casey Knight adding a late empty net goal to secure the team win.

Toronto veteran netminder Andrew Hunt posted 26 saves in his first action of the season for the win.

Source: varsityblues.ca



Lakehead 2 York 4

The York University Lions men's hockey team recorded its second win of the weekend, and ninth of the season in 11 games, with a 4-2 victory over the Lakehead Thunderwolves at Canlan Ice Sports on Saturday night.
The Lions erased a 2-1 deficit after the opening period of play to come back and win, remaining atop the OUA West standings with a sparkling 9-2 record. The Thunderwolves are at 4-5-1 for the season.
The game got off to a bit of a scary start for the Lions. Daniel Del Paggio of the Thunderwolves scored in the second minute of the first period with the assistance of Joseph Leondias and E.J. Faust. After more shots by the Thunderwolves, the Lions were able to descend upon the Thunderwolves' net and Jack Goranson added the Lions' first goal of the game unassisted.
The period wrapped up with another Thunderwolves' goal, this time scored by Scott Gall and assisted by Dylan Butler and Tyler Anton, and Lakehead led 2-1 after one.
The Lions didn't trail in the second period for long. Reid Jackman added a goal at 4:43, his fourth of the season, and Nick Zottl had the assist on that goal. This was followed with another goal shortly afterwards by Josh LaFrance with assists to the game's other two goal scorers in Jackman and Goranson.
The Lions defence could not be infiltrated by the Thunderwolves in this period, and the Lions had a 3-2 lead at the end of the second.
The third period was relatively uneventful. Kegan Blasby added the Lions' fourth goal at 13:41 – the only time the puck saw the back of a net the entire period.

Source: yorkulions.ca



Windsor 1 Laurier 2

WATERLOO, Ont. (November 11, 2017) - On Saturday night at Sun Life Financial Arena, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team took a 2-1 victory in overtime against the Windsor Lancers.

Minutes into the second, Danny Hanlon (Waterloo, Ont.) opened the scoreboard by netting the first goal of the night off a power play. Lancers own Konner Haas (Fredericton, NB) responded by scoring off a power play half-way through the frame bringing the score to a 1-1 tie. 

With a scoreless third, it was Anthony Conti (North Vancouver, B.C.) who made the game-winning goal in shootout to bring the Hawks to a 2-1 victory.  

Chris Festarini (Oakville, Ont.) stood strong between the post having shut down 31 of 32 shots while the Lancers netminder Blake Richard (Hamilton, Ont.) took the loss with only 37 saves.

After winning the game against the Windsor Lancers (3-4-3) the Hawks improve to a 7-2-1 record on the season and 15  points to maintain their second place ranking in OUA West.

Next up, the Hawks head to St. Catharines, Ont. on Friday night to play the Brock Badgers at 7:15 PM followed by a home game on Saturday night against the Western Mustangs where the puck will drop at 7:07 PM. 

Source: laurierathletics.com



Ottawa 4 UOIT 5

OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT men's hockey team picked up another two points Saturday night in a thrilling shootout victory over the Ottawa Gee-Gees.
The Ridgebacks gave up a 4-1 lead late in the third period but were able to rebound in the shootout to earn the 5-4 win.
"It was a very positive weekend," said head coach Curtis Hodgins. "We got all four points and we will look to build on the confidence that gives us moving into our next couple of road games."
The game started off looking evenly matched until the Ridgebacks began to tip the scale in their favour, scoring a late first period goal that would get the ball rolling for them. The goal came off of a tip from Jack Patterson (Bedford, N.S.), making that his first goal of the regular season.
The Gee-Gees came out strong in the second with a power play goal from Kevin Domingue just 2:35 into the period. But the Ridgebacks answered with two more goals of their own. The first was scored by Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.), who is now the team leader in goals with a total of seven. The second goal came just moments after when Ryan Doucette (Waterloo, Ont.) fired one on net beating the goalie blocker-side.

The Ridgebacks would score again just under midway through the third period, with a goal from Jordan Ross (Kronau, Sask.) to increase their lead to 4-1.
Ottawa wasn't giving up that easily as they began to make their comeback late into the third with a goal from Brendan Jacome. Less than a minute later the Gee-Gees would strike again as Mathieu Newcomb riffled one into the back of the net with the extra man on the ice as Ottawa had pulled their goalie. Newcombe again came in clutch for the Gee-Gees scoring with just 18 seconds left to tie the game and send it into overtime.
After a scoreless five minutes of 3-on-3 overtime action, the game headed into a shootout. The Ridgebacks scored on two of their attempts from Robinson and Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.) while goaltender Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.) stopped all of Ottawa's attempts lifting them to their 5-4 victory.
Robinson has recorded six points in a four-game point streak.
The Ridgebacks will be hitting the road next weekend as they will get set to face the Nipissing Lakers Nov. 17 and the Laurentian Voyageurs on Nov. 18.
UOIT (4-5-1) is tied for seventh place with the Lakers (4-5-1). Ottawa is one point ahead with a 4-4-2 record.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



McGill 4 Nipissing 1

NORTH BAY, Ont. -- Samuel Hodhod scored the game-winner and added an assist as No.6 ranked McGill skated to a 4-1 road triumph over the Nipissing University Lakers in OUA men's hockey at the North Bay Memorial Gardens, Saturday. The result extended McGill's win streak to four and improved their division-leading record to 10-2 atop the OUA East standings.

It also improved McGill's record to 20-4 in 24 lifetime meetings with the Lakers, The contest was a penalty-filled affair that featured 115 minutes being dished out, with 73 assessed to the host team. McGill's revitalized power-play was 2-for-8, while Nipissing was 0-for-5. After scoring just three PP goals in their first nine games, the Redmen have now exploded for six in the last three contests.

All of the scoring took place in the middle stanza. McGill took a 2-0 lead on goals by rookie Keanu Yamamoto of Spokane, Was., and Hodhod, a finance junior from Westmount, Que., at 2:24 and 5:49, respectively. Less than three minutes later, Nipissing narrowed the deficit to 2-1 when senior Brock Morrison found the back of the net for the first time this season.

Defenceman Nathan Chiarlitti's rocket from the blueline, scored on the power-play at 10:05 restored the two-goal cushion, assisted by Hodhod and rearguard Domenic Talbot-Tassi. A red-hot Christophe Lalonde rounded out the scoring with a PP marker at 19:28. It was his team-leading seventh goal of the season, with five of them coming in the past three games.

McGill dominated, outshooting the Lakers by a 47-21 margin, including a lopsided 24-7 margin in the middle frame.

Louis-Philip Guindon turned aside 20 of 21 shots to collect his league-leading eighth win in 10 decisions. The 6-foot-1, 188-pound science sophomore from St. Joseph du Lac, Que., lowered his goals-against average and save percentage to 2.12 and .929, respectively.

Lakers junior Domenic Graham kicked out 33 of 37 shots over the first two periods as his record dropped to 1-2. He was replaced by rookie Brent Moran, who stopped all 10 shots faced.

McGill (10-2) has opened up three-point lead over second-place Concordia (8-1-1) and Carleton (8-1-1), while UQTR (7-2-2) has dropped back to fourth-place after suffering a pair of stunning setbacks to RMC (2-8-1) over the weekend.

This sets up a much-anticipated home-and-home showdown between the Redmen and Stingers next weekend. The first game is scheduled for McConnell Arena on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m., followed by a rematch at the Ed Meagher Arena on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m. The Redmen have something to prove as a much-improved Concordia squad surprised McGill 3-2 at McConnell Arena on Oct. 13. The upcoming matchup will feature the top two scorers in the league, with Concordia sniper Anthony Beauregard (10 GP: 11-12-23) pitted against McGill playmaker Jerome Verrier (12 GP: 3-14-17). Verrier, who had a pair of helpers against Nipissing, extended his point-scoring streak to five consecutive games, during which time he has posted a 2-9-11 record.

REDMEN RAP: McGill, which continues to lead the league in goals, has outscored their opponents 52-25, including a 9-7 margin in the first period, a 23-8 advantage in the second, an 18-10 difference in the third and 2-0 in overtime. Of the 22 skaters who have dressed for the Redmen this season, 18 of them have already scored at least one goal.

Source: mcgillathletics.com



Carleton 4 Queen’s 1

KINGSTON, ON- The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the Queen’s Gaels 4-1 to extend their winning streak to six straight games.

Two and half minutes into the opening period Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) found himself all alone on a breakaway and he beat Gaels goalie Jacob Brennan for the early 1-0 lead.

Carleton was outshot in the first frame by a 12-9 margin but held onto a 1-0 advantage.

With time set to expire in the second period Ryan Van Stralen (Prescott, ON) circled around the net and found Alexandre Boivin (Ottawa, ON) wide open in the slot, who fired a one-timer over Brennan to double the lead.

The Ravens outshot the Gaels 13 to 9 in the second frame and entered the third ahead 2-0.

With nine minutes remaining in the third with the Gaels on the power play, Graeme Brown put a backhand up and over Ravens goalie Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) on the blocker side.

Van Stralen stole the puck from a Gael defender and went in alone on Brennan and Boivin tipped the rebound into the net.

Steege added an empty net for his second goal of the contest and the insurance goal for the Ravens to seal the win.

The Ravens look to continue their win streak when they face cross-town rival uOttawa Gee-Gees in the Colonel By Classic at TD Place.

Source: goravens.ca



Waterloo 3 Guelph 6

GUELPH, Ont. – The winning ways continued on Saturday night for the Gryphons men's hockey team with a 6-3 win over the visiting Waterloo Warriors.
J.P. Villeneuve's first career OUA goal would prove to be the game-winner for the Gryphons, who own the longest current win streak in the OUA's West Division with four straight victories.
"We did a good job creating offence and getting pucks to the net," said Gryphons head coach Shawn Camp. "When we're able to keep things simple, we're effective. We were able to dominate play for some chunks of the game."
Despite the fact that the shots were lopsided, with the Gryphons out-shooting the Warriors 46-25 on the night, the Gryphs found themselves locked in a back-and-forth affair with the Warriors, including a high-scoring opening 20 minutes of play in which the two teams combined for four goals. After the Warriors jumped out to a 1-0 lead, the Gryphons were able to respond on the power play thanks to a beautiful one-timer from third year blueliner Zach McFadden. Later in the period, the Gryphons would take a 2-1 lead after Cody Thompson set up rookie forward Todd Winder (Uxbridge, ON) who would fire a perfectly placed shot off the crossbar and in for his 5th goal of the season. Winder's five goals move him into a tie with Thompson for the team lead in scoring.
The goals would continue to pour in during an eventful 2nd period. Gryphons' defenceman Reilly O'Connor was able to take advantage of a Waterloo turnover, picking off an intended Warriors' pass and promptly firing home his 1st of the season to give the Gryphs a 3-2 lead. Moments after Waterloo tied the game at 3-3, the Gryphons would answer right back with Villeneuve's game winner. Off the rush, Villeneuve would show off some great speed, bursting into the Waterloo zone and giving the Gryphons a 4-3 lead thanks to a successful wrap-around attempt.
The 3rd period continued to produce some wide open hockey, with good chances at both ends of the ice. Just past the midway point of the final period, the Warriors would come close to finding the tying goal when a lively bounce off the end boards had Gryphon goalie Jason Da Silva sprawling to cover an open net, but Waterloo forward Mitchell Smith fired a shot through the crease and wide of the yawning cage. Da Silva, a former member of the OHL's Peterborough Petes, was solid when called upon, making several timely saves in the 3rd period to earn his fourth straight win.
Gryphons' team captain Scott Simmonds, who also plays on the Gryphons men's rugby team, suited up for Saturday night's game despite having played in an OUA Championship rugby match in Kingston earlier in the day. Tryg Strand and Nick Boyer would both add empty net goals for the Gryphons late to push the final score to 6-3.

Source: gryphons.ca



Other Scores:


Concordia 6 Laurentian 1



November 12, 2017

Lakehead 2 Ryerson 5

TORONTO – It was a thrilling day for the Ryerson Rams men’s hockey team, as they acquired a 5-2 win over the visiting Lakehead Thunderwolves and freshman forward Cavin Leth (Taber, Alta.) set a record for the most goals scored by a Rams freshman in a single game.

The first period of play exhibited a tremendous amount of tenacity on behalf of both teams. The Rams brandished their typical degree of offensive aggression, storming the Thunderwolves zone throughout the period, and taking advantage of a Lakehead defense that seemed to permit significant player movements around their blue ice. Additionally, Rams progression upwards through the neutral zone seemed to be more smooth on Sunday afternoon than it has been in previous efforts, as cross-ice passes were more precise and quick, permitting only minimal interference on behalf of the visiting team. These advantages, however, did not come without drawbacks, and there are still things in the Ryerson playbook that need some work. Most apparent of all is the persistent problem of even-strength zone defense, which seems to be spread too wide, permitting cross-ice passes in the Ryerson zone to be accomplished with ease.

While both teams were able to get on the scoreboard in the first period, only one name stood out to media officials and fans alike; Cavin Leth. Leth has been on something of an offensive hot-streak over the past two games, scoring against Brock and the University of Toronto. Tonight, however, was an exceptional display of the Albertan’s skill as he would provide all three goals the Rams tallied in the first period of play. Compared to this single handed offensive skill displayed, the visiting Thunderwolves could only muster one goal, provided by forward Scott Gall (Morden, Man.) twelve minutes into the period.

Heading into the locker room up 3-1, it would be up to the Rams defensive effort to maintain the lead as both teams stormed the ice for the second period of play.

The next twenty minutes of play saw the Rams effort come in waves. As the period began, it appeared as though the Lakehead defense had begun to breakdown even more, as the Rams spent great lengths of the first ten minutes in the period occupying the Thunderwolves zone. Additionally, the second period saw Lakehead’s offensive intensity begin to diminish. In spite of this however, the Thunderwolves would be the only team to tally a goal in the second period, as forward Cooper Leitch (London, Ont.) tucked in a close range shot off of a Ryerson turnover to draw the visiting team within one goal of the Rams.

And however head coach Duco decided to address this issue, it clearly worked, as the third period was dominated by the home team. From the initial puck drop to the final buzzer of the last period, the Rams took control of the playing style on both ends of the ice, disallowing several Lakehead offensive efforts and capitalizing on open chances on the opposite end of the rink.

As far as the scoreboard was concerned, two very familiar Rams names would once again appear. Three minutes into the period, forward Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) would record his first goal of the game, and tenth of the season, to put the Rams up 4-2. Additionally, to cap off an already incredible night, Cavin Leth would tuck away his fourth goal of the evening on an open net, to give the Rams their final 5-2 win.

With this feat, Leth simultaneously became the first Rams freshman to ever record four goals in a single game, and only the third Ram to ever do so in program history.

One other Ram who deserves tremendous amounts of praise for their performance on the evening is forward Marcus Hinds (Toronto, Ont.) who recorded three assists on the evening, to bring his total assist count up to eight on the season.

Source: ryersonrams.ca