OUA Men's Hockey Roundup (Jan. 15)

Photo by Kha Vo
Photo by Kha Vo

January 10th, 2018

McGill 4 UQTR 5

TROIS-RIVIERES -- The UQTR Patriotes scored a pair of shorthanded goals and added a power-play marker en route to a 5-4 victory over McGill in a high-scoring OUA men's hockey game at Le Colisée, Wednesday.

That evened the count at 2-2 in the four games played between these bitter rivals this season, with the teams 1-1 against each other in regular season play and one confrontation remaining. UQTR improved their lifetime record to 159-83-17 overall against the Redmen, who have taken five of the last seven meetings.

The visiting Redmen outshot UQTR 42-24 but the teams were tied 1-1 after the opening period and the Patriotes led 4-3 after two. Both teams tallied once in the final frame. UQTR, which was called for 22 of 30 penalty minutes, went 1-for-4 on the power play and killed off five of six penalties. The Pats have the second-best PP in the 20-team league at 21.4 per cent, while McGill has struggled at 14.9.

"Too many guys had a poor performance for us to have a positive result," said McGill head coach Kelly Nobes. "That's affects special teams, as well as five-on-five... The power-play clearly struggled tonight. We weren't doing what we were supposed to do and we can be a lot better as a group."

McGill freshman Michael Cramarosa of Hamilton, Ont., opening the scoring at the midway mark of the first period but the Pats rallied with three consecutive goals -- two of them shorties -- before the second period was eight minutes old on successful strikes by Deven St-Hilaire, defenceman Bruno-Carl Denis and Alexandre Lemay, respectively.

McGill rallied to tie the score at 3-3 with two goals in 58 seconds when senior Jan Kaminsky of Kennesaw, Ga., connected on a power-play at 9:13 of the middle frame, followed almost immediately by junior Samuel Hodhod of Montreal, at 10:11.

However, centre Julien Gagné regained the lead on a power-play for the Pats, who took a 4-3 advantage into the final stanza. Defenceman Alexandre Leclerc notched the game-winner at 7:41 of the final period, putting the Pats ahead 5-3. McGill narrowed the gap to one  when rookie Keanu Yamamoto of Spokane, Wash., netted his eighth of the season in the final minute with the goalie pulled for an extra attacker.

Sophomore Louis-Philip Guindon of St. Joseph du Lac, Que., started between the pipes for the visitors and was beaten five times on 24 shots as his lofty record tumbled to 14-4. UQTR's Sebastien Auger, a junior from St. Augustin de Desmaures, Que., kicked out 38 of 42 shots for the victory and improved to 9-4.

The Patriotes (13-3-4) leap-frogged past Concordia (13-2-3) into second place in the OUA East and now sit just four points behind division-leading McGill (17-4-0) with a game in hand. The Redmen, who have seven games remaining in their schedule, will host longtime rival Queen's (11-4-3) on Friday at McConnell Arena. A capacity crowd is expected for the showdown -- between two of the oldest hockey programs in the world, dating back to 1895 -- which is slated for a 7 p.m. start. McGill, which was swept by the Gaels in the OUA East best-of-three final last spring, has won the only meeting this season, 3-2 in overtime at Kingston.

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



January 11th, 2018

Guelph 5 Waterloo 2

WATERLOO, Ont. – Thursday night at the University of Waterloo, the Gryphons men's hockey team picked up a 5-2 road win over the Waterloo Warriors. With the game tied 2-2 late in the 2nd period, the Gryphons would take the lead thanks to a power play goal from fourth year forward Trevor Morbeck to give the Gryphons a 3-2 lead heading to the 3rd. Morbeck would score his second power play goal of the night 4:37 into the final period to give the Gryphons some breathing room as they would go on to hand the Warriors (5-11-3) their seventh straight loss. For the Gryphons, who entered the week ranked No. 10 in the country, it marked the team's 12th win in their last 13 regular season games. Guelph remains atop the OUA West division standings with a record of 14-4-1 on the season.
"Our special teams were outstanding tonight," said Gryphons head coach Shawn Camp. "Throughout the course of the year, special teams can win you games or lose you games and tonight they helped us get an important two points. Obviously, the power play goals were huge, but what we did on the penalty kill was just as important."
The Gryphons went 2-for-7 on the man advantage and were a perfect 6-for-6 on the penalty kill, including successfully killing off a 5-on-3 opportunity during the 1st period. Andres Kopstals, Tryg Strand, Nicholas Boyer and Scott Simmonds were amongst the cast of Gryphons who helped deny the Warriors power play unit throughout the night.
Oddly enough, some of Waterloo's best scoring chances on special teams were actually of the short-handed variety instead of with the man advantage. After Guelph jumped out to a 2-0 lead with 1st period goals just :28 seconds apart from Tryg Strand and Seth Swenson, the Warriors would battle back to tie the game at 2-2. From there, Waterloo would threaten to take the lead, but Gryphons rookie goalie Andrew Masters would come up with a pair of short-handed breakaway saves to keep the game tied at 2-2. Masters made 33 saves on the night for his third win in the past seven days.
Late in the 2nd period, it appeared as though Waterloo was on their way to successfully killing off a four-minute major until Trevor Morbeck intervened. After the Warriors had denied the Gryphons for the first 3 and a half minutes of a four minute man advantage, the Gryphons would finally find the breakthrough with Morbeck scoring on the rush to put Guelph ahead 3-2.
Morbeck would score his second of the night and sixth of the season in the early stages of the 3rd period by deflecting a Mathieu Henderson point shot home to push the Gryphon lead to 4-2. Captain Scott Simmonds would cap the scoring midway through the 3rd with his 8th goal of the year to seal the Gryphs' 5-2 victory.

Source: gryphons.ca



Toronto 5 Ryerson 7

The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team fell 7-5 to the Ryerson Rams on Thursday, January 11 at Mattamy Athletic Centre.
With the loss, the Blues drop to 5-13-1, while the Rams improve to 13-4-2 and remain in second place in the OUA West division.
The Rams opened the scoring 4:06 into the contest as John Carpino redirected an Aaron Armstrong shot into the net. Ryerson extended their lead nine minutes later as Erick DeLaurentis made good on a partial breakaway.
Toronto got on the board 6:20 into the second frame when Hunter Atchison netted his team-leading eighth goal of the season, finishing off a 2-on-1 with fellow rookie Scott Kirton. Ryerson restored the two-goal advantage, however, as Armstrong scored midway through the period.
The Blues cut the deficit to one again, scoring on their first powerplay opportunity of the game. Fifth-year defenceman Corey Jackson sent a hard wrist shot past the glove of Rams goalie Taylor Dupuis for his second goal of the season.
U of T evened the score in the final minute of the second period. Fifth-year forward Dean Klomp sent a nice pass to Willy Paul in front of the net. The sophomore defenceman made no mistake, one-timing the puck past Dupuis for his second goal of 2017-18.
Toronto and Ryerson were deadlocked at 3-3 after 40 minutes of action.
The Rams jumped ahead with two quick goals in the opening four minutes of the third period. U of T answered right back though as Paul notched his second of the night as his centering pass went off a Ryerson defenceman and in.
The home team sealed the victory though as Carpino tallied his second of the game on the powerplay and Marcus Hinds added an empty-netter in the final five minutes.
Fifth-year Blues veteran Casey Knight scored with 21 seconds remaining to round out the scoring.
Rookie netminder Frederic Foulem made 22 saves in the loss.

Source: varsityblues.ca



January 12th, 2018


KINGSTON, Ont. – With only his third goal of the season, Malik Johnson's (Montreal, Que.) second-period tally was the difference in giving the UOIT men's hockey team a 3-2 victory and two points on Friday night.
For the second time this season it was a one-goal game between the two squads, again going to the Ridgebacks. Saturday night they'll do it all again with a 7 p.m. puck drop again in Kingston.
Just 1:36 into Friday's tilt Josh Maguire (Cobourg, Ont.) opened the scoring for the Ridgebacks – his first goal since November 18, which followed his first career OUA goal on October 21.
The first penalties of the night saw 20 minutes handed out at the 7:09 mark, with RMC picking up the extra two, giving UOIT the first power play of the night. The opportunity was foiled for the first time on the night and Nicholas Bissonnette scored the Paladins first shorthanded goal of the season to tie the game 1-1 at the 8:13 mark.
Through 20 minutes the game remained 1-1 with UOIT holding a slight 10-9 shot advantage.
Another quick goal, this time Riley Daly's (Lorette, Man.) first of the season, beat Austin Hannaford to reinstate the Ridgebacks lead.
Only 17 seconds later, UOIT gave away the lead again, this time with Seamus Maguire sneaking his second goal of the year past Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.).
Before the second intermission Johnson, assisted by Spencer Roberts (Stouffville, Ont.) and Tyler Mayea (Burlington, Ont.), scored to put the Ridgebacks ahead 3-2. They held that lead as they earned their 11th win of the year.
O'Neill made 35 saves in the victory, while Hannaford only made 23 in the loss.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



Queen’s 0 McGill 3

MONTREAL -- Defenceman Maximilian Daigle scored the game-winning tally midway through the second period and sophomore goaltender Louis-Philip Guindon posted an 18-save shutout as No. 5 ranked McGill skated to a convincing 3-0 whitewash over Queen's in OUA men's hockey at McConnell Arena, Friday.

It was the first Redmen shutout over the Gaels since Oct. 24, 2012 when Hubert Morin made 20 saves in a 6-0 victory. McGill, which swept their two-game season series versus the Gaels, avenged a two-game sweep in the OUA East final last spring and improved their all-time record against the Gaels to 127-54-2 in a series that dates all the way back to 1895.

The Redmen, who outshot Queen's 45-18, potted a pair of goals in the second period and added another in the third.

"It was a good win for us tonight, certainly coming off a tough (5-4) loss in Trois-Rivieres on Wednesday night, it was a good rebound game for a lot of the guys," said McGill head coach Kelly Nobes, who improved his record to 226-99-3 in 328 games overall since taking the helm eight years ago. "Collectively, everyone played a really solid game. We had everyone on the rope tonight, all pulling in the same direction. There were no passengers and that's what it takes to beat a good team like Queen's. It was a real fast game with a lot of pace. We did a good job of getting pucks, and bodies, to the net and it was good to see everybody have a real solid night."

Guindon, who conceded five goals on 24 shots in the loss at UQTR two days earlier, brought his "A" game to register his league-leading second shutout of the season and his third career goose-egg in a McGill uniform. The 6-foot-1, 183-pound native of St. Joseph du Lac, Que., improved his record to 15-4 on the season, while lowering  his goals-against average to 2.24 and his save percentage improved to .917.

Daigle, a native of St. Lambert, Que., and a first-year transfer from the University of Vermont, opened the scoring with his third of the season at 11:34 of the middle stanza, sneaking into the slot and converting a corner pass from Michael Cramarossa with a snap shot. Frederic Gamelin also drew a helper on the play.

Six minutes later, centre Jerome Verrier, a junior from Drummondville, Que., made it 2-0 when he hopped on a rebound and deked Gaels goalie Kevin Bailie, before depositing his eighth marker of the season into the empty side of the net. Christophe Lalonde and defenceman Nathan Chiarlitti were credited with assists.

The third period was all McGill as the Redmen outshot the visitors 14-3. Lalonde put the game out of reach on an early power-play just 102 seconds into the frame. It was his team-leading 11th of the season for Lalonde, a junior from Mirabel, Que., who scored 12 markers all of last year. The assists went to Verrier and Guillaume Gauthier.

Verrier's two-point soiree upped his team leading total to 32 points in 22 contests. The former Detroit Red Wings prospect now ranks third in the OUA scoring race, one point behind Ryerson's Matt Mistele (14-19-33) and a dozen behind Concordia's Anthony Beauregard (14-30-44).

Bailie made 42 saves in a losing cause for the Gaels. It was the first loss of the season for the fifth-year veteran from Belleville, Ont., who missed number of games with an injury and dropped to 5-1.

Queen's, which dropped to fifth-place in the OUA East "group of death" division with an 11-5-3 record, will play at third-place Concordia (13-3-3) on Saturday (Jan. 13) at 7:30 p.m.

The division-leading Redmen improved to 18-4-0 with six games remaining before playoffs. They lead the entire OUA in wins but could could still finish anywhere from first to seventh in the 10-team division. McGill returns to the ice next Friday, Jan. 19 when they resume a bitter rivalry with the Carleton Ravens (12-5-2) in the much-anticipated Management Winter Carnival Game, which normally draws a sellout crowd.

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



Lakehead 4 York 5

The York University Lions men's hockey team picked up their first win of 2018 on home ice Friday night against the Lakehead Thunderwolves. The win did not come easy as the Lions let a third period lead slip away, but they came away with a 5-4 shootout victory.
Despite the relatively high scores for both teams, there surprisingly were no goals scored in the first period. Scoring picked up in the second, beginning with a goal by rookie Ben Verrall, assisted by Derek Sheppard and Kyle Campbell. It was his first career goal.
Midway through the frame, the Thunderwolves took control of the puck and scored pair of goals just 39 seconds apart. These came from Brennan Dubchak and Patrick Murphy, both assisted by Scott Gall, to give Lakehead a 2-1 lead.
Their lead was short-lived, however, as the Lions countered again just 1:10 after Lakehead's second goal, this time scored by Stefano Pezzetta.
This wasn't the end of the Lions' action as they scored another two goals in the final seven minutes of the period and just 47 seconds apart, and led 4-2 at the end of the second period. Rookie Adam Marsh, who just joined the team in January, netted both for the first two goals of his U SPORTS career. Providing the assists on all the goals were Alex Mowbray, Sal Filice, Josh LaFrance, Shayne Rover and Justin Bean.
The Thunderwolves tied the score 4-4 in the third period. Sam Schutt (assisted by Dillon Donnelly and Jake Ringeutte) scored in the first two minutes of play, and Ringeutte went on to score his own goal (assisted by Murphy and Dubchak) with 30 seconds left on the clock to steal a point for his team.
When overtime solved nothing, Sheppard scored the lone goal in the shootout to earn the extra point for his team.

Source: yorkulions.ca



Brock 2 Ryerson 1

The Brock University men's hockey team defeated the Ryerson Rams by the score of 2-1 Friday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

After a scoreless opening 30 minutes, Ryerson got on the board first as Steven Harland and Alex Basso setup John Carpino on the power play for his eighth goal of the season. The Badgers evened the score 1-1 at 14:21 as Dexter Weber added a power play marker beating Rams starter Taylor Dupuis for his second of the campaign. Josh Timpano and Jeff Corbett added the assists.

Midway through the third period, Corbett and Brody Silk setup rookie Brandon O'Quinn for his seventh goal of the season and the eventual game winner.

In goal, Brock starter Clint Windsor recorded 29 saves for the victory. Dupuis collected 20 saves in the loss.

Source: gobadgers.ca



Laurier 3 Windsor 2

WINDSOR, Ont. (January 12, 2018) - Will Cook scored a pair of goals, including the game winner in overtime, to help the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks rally past the Windsor Lancers 3-2 on Friday night.

Cook, a native of Port Stanley, Ont., who tied the game at two midway through the third period, ended the contest 2:31 into overtime with his team-leading eighth goal of the season to lift Laurier (12-5-2) to their second straight victory.

Mitch Wright of Chesley, Ont., had the other goal for the purple and gold.

Jake Brown of Ancaster, Ont., and Ryan Taylor of Clarington, Ont., replied for the Lancers.

Although tensions were rising as the Hawks put the pressure on the Lancers in the first frame, the scoreboard remained untouched as both goalies denied everything thrown their way.

After Lancers took a 2-0 lead scoring back-to-back goals off the sticks of Brown and Taylor late in the second frame, the Hawks swapped goalies bringing Chris Festarini of Oakville, Ont., into net to replace starter Colin Furlong of Cambridge, Ont.

The move seemed to spark Laurier in the third period as Wright and Cook scored just over a minute apart to tie the game and force overtime.

In overtime, the Lancers had a power play opportunity to start the frame but failed to use it setting up Cook, who swooped in to score his second goal of the night for the Hawks to secure the win.

Festarini earned the victory for the purple and gold as he denied all 18 shots he faced in replacing Furlong, who had made 16 saves before being pulled.

On the other side of the ice, Windsor netminder Jonathan Reinhart of Cambridge, Ont., took the loss allowing three goals on 38 shots.

Source: laurierathletics.com



Ottawa 4 Nipissing 2

The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees Men’s Hockey team returned to the win column in a big way, sweeping the Nipissing Lakers and Laurentian Voyageurs during their northern road trip over the weekend. Brendan Jacome led the cavalry to a late third period comeback for a 4-2 win against Nipissing, while the Gee-Gees survived a late comeback in a 4-3 shootout victory over Laurentian. “Overall, the weekend, obviously we’re satisfied with the four points on the road. But we’re coming out of here with a couple key injuries too,” head Coach Patrick Grandmaître said following the games. “It has an impact losing Patrick White [against Nipissing] and Brendan Jacome [against Laurentian] in the middle. We’ll have to figure out those injuries this week and go from there.”

The Gee-Gees found themselves trailing early in North Bay, with Nipissing tallying on their first shot of the night. Cody Van Lierop’s first career goal knotted the game up midway through the frame, though the Lakers were able to regain the lead before the intermission. “It’s a nice feeling, took long enough,” Van Lierop said. “I was trying to spark the team. We got off good, we got lots of shots, but we just couldn’t find the back of the net and I got a lucky bounce off a guy’s stick.”

Ottawa’s attack over the course of the second and third period was relentless, as they searched for the equalizing goal. A penalty against Nipissing with just five minutes remaining in regulation afforded the Gee-Gees a key opportunity to tie the game. On the power play, Gee-Gees defenceman Adam Beveridge collected the puck at the point. Rather than unleashing a heavy slapshot, he patiently waited, then wired the puck into the top corner.

The Gee-Gees continued to maintain their aggressive forecheck. Brendan Jacome collected a loose puck down low, and fed it to Kevin Domingue, who was able to tap it past Lakers goaltender Domenic Graham to give Ottawa their first lead of the night less than two minutes on the clock. Jacome would mark an empty net goal to clinch the win for the visiting Gee-Gees.

Source: geegees.ca



Carleton 9 Laurentian 6

SUDBURY, ON- The offence exploded for the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team as they traveled to Sudbury and defeated the Laurentian Voyageurs 9-6 on Friday night.

After falling behind 3-1 in the first period the Ravens gained some ground back in the second frame trailing 4-3.

In the third the Ravens scored a total of six goals to come from behind and steal the win.

The power play finished 2 for 7 while the penalty kill allowed two goals on five opportunities for Laurentian. The Ravens added one shorthanded goal from Alexandre Boivin (Ottawa, ON) and two empty net goals in the final two minutes from Wyatt Noskey (High Prairie, AB) and Ryan Van Stralen (Prescott, ON)

Ravens captain Brett Welychka (London, ON) established a single game career-high with six points (3G/3A), while Noskey finished with two goals.

The Ravens outshot the Voyageurs 51-22 in game, firing 20 shots on goal in the second period.

Ravens starting goalie Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) allowed four goals on six shots in 22 minutes of play before he gave way to Justin Nichols who stopped 14 of 16 shots in the remaining 38 minutes.

Source: goravens.ca



Other scores:

UQTR 4 Concordia 2



January 13th, 2018

Western 3 York 1

TORONTO – A late second period goal from Kyle Pettitproved to be the game winner as the Western Mustangs extending their winning streak to a season-high four games with a 3-1 victory over the York Lions on Saturday night at Canlan Ice Sports.
Western is now entangled in a three-way tie for sixth place in the OUA West along with Windsor and Lakehead. Despite the loss York maintains their place in the standings, remaining fourth in the West with a score of 12-8-1
Pettit's goal was his third in four games and gives him six on the year, tied for second most on the Mustangs leaderboard alongside Spenser Cobbold. Kolytn Olynek and Anthony Stefano also marked their names on the scoresheet to secure the win. Second-year forward Stefano Pezzetta provided the offence for the Lions, tallying his fifth goal of the season in the loss.
The game was off to a slow start with the first goal coming from Olynek on a breakaway with only five minutes left in the first frame.
The second period saw more action from both sides leading up to a frantic finish to the frame, with Pezzetta securing the only goal for the Lions with a little more than two minutes left. Western was quick to respond, with Pettit putting Western back in the lead less than thirty seconds later.
Moving into the final frame, the Lions struggled to keep up with the purple and white. Netminder Luke Peresinni kept York off the scoreboard throughout the period, finishing the night with 29 saves in the win.
Stefano cemented the win for the Mustangs with an empty net marker in the final minute to give Western a 3-1 victory.

Source: westernmustangs.ca




KINGSTON, Ont. – It was quite the homecoming for Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.) on Saturday night as he had a four-point night in a 4-1 victory over the RMC Paladins.
Blasko was in on all four of the Ridgeback goals, as they swept their weekend series against RMC after beating them 3-2 on Friday night. With the four-point weekend, UOIT jumps back into a tie with Queen's for fifth place in the OUA eastern conference, one back of the Carleton Ravens.

With 52 career assists, Blasko is just the fifth Ridgeback with 50-plus in a career joining Nathan Spaling (61), Cameron Yuill (56), Tony Rizzi (54) and Luke VanMoerkerke (54).
Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.) was on the receiving end of two of Blasko's assists, as he scored the opening two goals in the game. The fourth-year forward has 15 goals this season which ranks second in the OUA. He also returned the favour on Blasko's third period goal capping off a three-point night. Robinson has 22 points this year, matching a career high.
Robinson moved into sixth in UOIT all-time goal scoring with 34 in his career, as he sits behind former teammates Brendan Wise and James Woodcroft who are tied for fourth with 35.
Riley Brandt would score RMC's lone goal 35 seconds into the third period but Blasko's strike at 10:55 and captain Danny Elser (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) rounded out scoring at 18:50, clinching UOIT's 12th victory.
Tyler Mayea (Burlington, Ont.) had a multi-point game with two assists.
UOIT's penalty killers did an amazing job as RMC was shutout on eight attempts. Allowing just 15 power play goals on 97 opponent attempts, UOIT's penalty kill ranks sixth in the OUA.

Tyson Teichmann (Belleville, Ont.) got the start for UOIT and stopped all nine shots he faced in the first period before leaving the game with an illness. Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.) came into the game and stopped 20 of 21 shots on goal for his second victory of the weekend.
RMC's Daniel Vautour would end up facing 31 shots on goal.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



Queen’s 2 Concordia 4

MONTREAL (January 13, 2018) – The Queen's Gaels (11-6-3) dropped a 4-2 decision to the No. 8 Concordia Stingers (14-3-3) on Saturday night. Stingers forward Anthony Beauregard recorded three points to lead Concordia to the win. Gaels goaltender Kevin Bailie (Belleville, Ont.) made 32 saves in the loss for the Gaels.
Concordia caught the Gaels in the first period as they opened up a 2-0 lead within the first seven minutes. Beauregard and Eric-Charles Legare scored for the Stingers as they jumped all over the Gaels early. Alex Row (Elizabethtown, Ont.) would respond for the Gaels at 16:03 to cut the Stingers lead to 2-1 heading into the second period.
Queen's would respond in the second period when Eric Ming (Williamstown, Ont.) fired home his fourth goal of the season at 8:51. The two teams would fight hard for control of the game but would head into the final frame all squared at 2-2.
The third period was an even affair, with Queen's outshooting Concordia 13-9. The Stingers would take advantage of their scoring chances though, as Massima Carozza would give Concordia a 3-2 lead with just less than three minutes remaining. Philippe Sanche would add an empty netter for Concordia to make the final score 4-2.
Marc-Antoine Turcotte recorded a 27 save victory in net for Concordia while Bailie made 32 saves in the loss for Queen's.

Source: gogaelsgo.com



Laurier 7 Windsor 2

WINDSOR, Ont. (January 14, 2018) – The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team wrapped up a satisfying weekend in grand style Saturday night at the South Windsor Arena by knocking off the Windsor Lancers by a score of 7-2, backing up a 3-2 overtime win the night before for the weekend sweep.

The victory gives the Hawks (13-5-2) a season-series sweep over the Lancers (6-8-6), the team that vanquished them from last spring’s postseason.

The purple and gold were in no mood to hang around in Windsor Saturday night, with Trevor Sauder (Tavistock, Ont.) and Anthony Sorrentino (Woodbridge, Ont.) lighting the lamp for the visitors within the first five minutes.

Sorrentino’s marker was the first of three goals on the power play for the Hawks on the night, making the Lancers pay for their eight penalties. Laurier was thriving on special teams Saturday, also showcasing a strong penalty kill, shutting out the Lancers on all seven of their opportunities with the man advantage.

Will Cook (Port Stanley, Ont.) and Andrew Fritsch (Brantford, Ont.) had the other goals for Laurier while a man up. Fritsch was on the finishing end of a beautiful sequence of passes by the Hawks in the offensive zone, leaving him free to fire it home from deep in the slot.

With the score 4-1 midway through the second, frustrations started to boil over for the hosts, as Ben Assad (Calgary, Alb.) took a run at Hawks netminder Chris Festarini (Oakville, Ont.), leading to a melee involving everyone on the ice.

Undeterred, Festarini went back to work and was at his most effective in the third period, making a highlight reel save by reaching back with his stick to stop the puck on the goal line, robbing the Lancers of what seemed to be a sure goal. 

He stopped 27 of 29 shots that went his way Saturday to record his second win of the weekend and eighth of the season.

Defencemen Kyle Jenkins (Brampton, Ont.) and Jacob Hetherington (Kingston, Ont.) rounded out the scoring for the Hawks, adding goals in the final five minutes of play to get the Hawks to seven on the night, the team's second-highest offensive output of the season.

Forward Brandon Robinson (Pickering, Ont.) added a goal and two assists for the Hawks to give him a team-leading 19 points on the year.

Source: laurierathletics.com



Carleton 3 Nipissing 4

NORTH BAY, ON — The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team fell 4-3 in a shootout to the Nipissing Lakers on Saturday night at the North Bay Memorial Gardens.

The Ravens struck first with the power play when Fabian Walsh (Gloucester, ON) popped the rebound from Alexandre Boivin’s (Ottawa, ON) shot past Lakers goalie Brent Moran.

The period ended with the Ravens ahead 1-0 and the two teams tied at 10 shots a piece.

Nipissing tied the game up when forward Brett Hargrave stepped out of the penalty box and went in alone on Ravens keeper Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC). He made a move from his forehand to his backhand and lifter it over the sprawling netminder.

Carleton regained the lead when Dakota Odgers (Spy Hill, SK) came in on a two-on-one and fired a wrist shot over the Lakers’ goalie blocker, which fooled Moran who was expecting a pass.

The Ravens took the 2-1 lead into the third period while outshooting Nipissing 8-7.

The Lakers tied the game up at 2-2 when Guillaume Naud attempted a wraparound that Brassard stopped, but Dylan Staples got on the rebound and tucked it past Brassard.

The Ravens took the lead again when Boivin made a nifty move around a Lakers defender and found Matthew Sozanski (Calgary, AB) who snuck in from the point and fired a wrist shot into the open side of the net.

With 40 seconds remaining and the goalie pulled, Nipissing tied the game when Hargrave found the puck in a scramble in front of Brassard and pushed it under his pad sending the game to overtime.

In the extra frame neither team managed to score but Nipissing forward Deverick Ottereyes received a 10-minute misconduct for a check to the head on Ravens captain Brett Welychka (London, ON).

In the shootout Ryan Van Stralen (Prescott, ON) , Dalen Hedges (Ottawa, ON), and Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) were all denied and Dylan Staples scored to take the game for the Lakers.

Brassard stopped 28 of the Voyageurs’ 31 shots on Saturday, rebounding from his difficult start against Laurentian the previous evening.

Carleton’s power play converted only once on their first power play of the night finishing 1-for-8 in the game.

The Ravens took three out of a possible four points from their Northern Ontario trip to Sudbury and North Bay.

Source: goravens.ca



Lakehead 1 Guelph 5

GUELPH, Ont. – The No. 10-ranked Gryphons men's hockey team has thrived on home ice this season. The Lakehead Thunderwolves are the latest opponent to leave Guelph with a loss. Saturday night at the Gryphon Centre Arena, the Gryphons picked up a convincing 5-1 win over the visitors from Thunder Bay. With the win, the Gryphons improve to 9-1-1 on home ice this season and remain in 1st in the OUA West division with a record of 15-4-1.
"Top to bottom, it was a really good team effort," said Gryphons head coach Shawn Camp. "We jumped on them early and pushed the pace. We got some great saves when we needed them and for a second straight game had some great production from our special teams."
The Gryphons jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the opening 20 minutes and never looked back. The Gryphs were 2-for-6 on the power play and a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill. First year goalie Andrew Masters made 20 saves for the win.
J.P. Villeneuve, who red-shirted a season ago with the Gryphons, led the way with 3 points on the night (2 goals, 1 assist) and veteran defenceman Josh McFadden capped off a dominant opening frame by scoring with :01 second remaining in the 1st period to put the Gryphons up 3-0 heading to the 2nd.
After Lakehead (8-9-2) cut into the lead with a goal early in the 2nd, the Gryphons would respond with J.P. Villeneuve's second goal of the night. Villeneuve, who arrived at U of G a year ago after having played professionally in Denmark, would show off his scorer's touch by going five-hole to beat Lakehead goalie Devin Green for his 6th goal of the season to restore Guelph's three-goal lead.
Rookie goalie Andrew Masters continued his stretch of solid play in between the pipes, making several timely saves on the night, including a beautiful pad save during a short-handed breakaway by Lakehead's Sam Schutt midway through the 3rd.
Team Captain Scott Simmonds would cap the scoring on the night, wiring home a one-timer from the slot on the power play after a nice feed from Marc Stevens.

Source: gryphons.ca



Ottawa 4 Laurentian 3

The following night it was the Gee-Gees that jumped out to an early lead. Midway through the first period, Cody Drover collected a crisp pass from Mathieu Newcomb, and promptly tapped it into the back of the net to open the scoring. The offence surged in the second frame, with Newcomb and Jacome quickly earning markers just minutes apart to push the lead to three goals. The Voyageurs began to cut into the deficit in the third period, with a quick power play goal just three minutes into the frame.

Ottawa would maintain the two goal lead until the final minutes of regulation, with Laurentian scoring a pair of goals in the span of seconds to stun the Gee-Gees and force overtime. The game needed a shootout to declare a winner. Connor Sills and Kevin Domingue continued to show off their shootout skills this season, each scoring goals, while Anthony Brodeur stopped both shots to seal the win.

“It’s a tough way to end a road trip, but we still managed to get a win so character there at the end not to completely let it go, but we need to be better with a 3-0 lead,” Grandmaître said. “Every team in this league has pride and everyone is a competitor. They showed it, and just didn’t bear down at the end.”

The Gee-Gees’ lengthy road trip to open 2018 will finally conclude on January 20, when they travel to McGill to take on the Redmen

Source: geegees.ca



January 14th, 2018

Brock 2 Toronto 3

Third-year forward Ryan Kirkup notched a career-high three assists as the University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team defeated the Brock Badgers 3-2 in overtime on Sunday afternoon (Jan. 14) at Varsity Arena.
The win puts the Blues at 6-13-1 in their season thus far, while the Badgers move to 10-6-4.
Sophomore defenceman Willy Paul netted the game-winning goal 3:21 into overtime, scoring his third goal in the past two games. The Burlington, Ont., native received a nice pass from Kirkup and made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

The Blues came out strong off the opening faceoff. Rookie Scott Kirton got the Blues on the board, scoring off a Ryan Kirkup rebound, just over two minutes into the contest.
After a dominant first period from Toronto, Brock responded at 2:33 in the second with a powerplay goal from Ayden Macdonald and went onto take the lead six minutes later as Cosimo Fontana scored.
However, with just four minutes to go in the second period, Blues leading scorer Hunter Atchison finished the puck after a scramble in front of the Brock net to tie up the game.
The third period solved nothing, pushing the game into overtime.
Rookie netminder Frederic Foulem made 21 stops in the win, including a beautiful glove save in the opening minutes of overtime.

Source: varsityblues.ca