AROUND OUA: No. 8 ranked Lancers shut-out No. 1 Lions

AROUND OUA: No. 8 ranked Lancers shut-out No. 1 Lions


York 0 @ Windsor 1

Nipissing 4 @ Laurentian 2

Carleton 0 @ Ryerson 0

Guelph 4 @ Algoma 0

UOIT 0 @ Trent 1

Trent 0 @ RMC 1

No. 8 ranked Lancers shut-out No. 1 Lions

The #8 Windsor Lancer men's soccer team handed the #1 ranked York Lions their first loss in two years with a 1-0 shut-out victory on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field.
Windsor native Kyle Vizirakis recorded his CIS high eighth shut-out of the season while rookie Jamar Redhead scored his fourth goal of the year to secure the win for the Blue & Gold. The Lancers are now 8-1-1 on the season and in sole possesion of first place in the OUA standings. 
Earlier this season, the two teams came to a 2-2 draw in Toronto and once again the Lancers and Lions were evenly matched throughout this contest. Brothers Mike and Noah Pio each had an opportunity early in the first half to get the Lancers on the board but both shots went high, hitting the crossbar each time.
Scoreless heading into the second half, the Lions best opportunity came in the 67th minute when Vizirakis came 30 yards out of the net to try and intercept the Lions' attack. York's Michael Cox beat Vizirakis to the goal but his shot went wide keeping the game locked at zero.
With just one minute remaining in regulation and the game once again looking like it would end in a draw, a scramble in front of the net put the ball at Redhead's feet. The Thornhill, ON natives shot found its way through the York defense and into the back of the York net to secure the Lancer win and hand the Lions their first loss since November 2013.
The Lancers will now host the McMaster Marauders next Sunday, October 4th at 3:15pm on Alumni Weekend.

Source: Windsor Lancers

Lakers take Round One of Northern rivalry

There may have been one favourable bounce for the Nipissing Lakers men's soccer team Saturday in Sudbury and they definitely took advantage.

After the fortunate start of the Laurentian Voyageurs scoring an own goal, Nipissing made sure they secured the three points to snap out of their four game winless streak and claim the 4-2 victory.

Following the Vees own goal, the teams then opened up the offence, combining for four goals in just over 30 minutes.

Laurentian tied things at one late in the first half, but early in the second Brandon TeBrake gave the visitors the lead back.

The Vees would answer, but Lakers captain Jean-Michel Paulin scored two late goals in the final 30 minutes of the game to secure the win.

Grainger Munro picked up the win in goal.

The Lakers (2-2-3) and Vees (1-5-1) are in North Bay for the rematch Wednesday evening, with kick-off set for 7:30 p.m.

Source: Nipissing Lakers

Rams retain top spot in east with 0-0 draw

TORONTO - In a Saturday matchup at Downsview Park, the Ryerson Rams and Carleton Ravens, the top two teams in the OUA east, battled to a 0-0 draw.

The Rams, ranked No. 4 in the nation coming into game, were looking to separate themselves on the table from Carleton, who trailed them by two points for the OUA east lead. From the opening whistle, the match was physical in nature, with the officials content to allow the teams to do battle.

The early first half featured Luka Lee (Toronto, Ont.) and Raheem Rose (Etobicoke, Ont.) managing the forward pace of the Rams. The attacking pair, joined by Jackson Tooke (Toronto, Ont.), were met with physical play from Carleton fullback Braden Mackay, whose strong defensive play led to several misplayed balls and lost opportunities.

Ryerson, playing with a renewed defensive purpose after last Sunday's loss, was solid in their back line, with Kyle Stewart (Kingston, Jamaica) notching several impressive tackles and heading threatening crosses out of the danger zone. Although it was a defensive match, there were several notable opportunities in the first half.

The first Ryerson chance came when Lee was played in by Tooke; Lee managed to get around the goalkeeper and was gearing to fire off his right foot when the goalkeeper rushed in and knocked the ball away to be cleared by his back line. On a subsequent play, Ravens' keeper Felix Daigle blocked a shot by Nick Lambis (Pickering, Ont.) only to leave his net empty with the ball in a box filled with Rams attackers. The ensuing fray was a free for all with Ryerson attempting to take advantage before the Ravens ultimately managed to clear the danger.

Carleton, not to be outdone, forced Ryerson net minder Praveen Ahilan (Unionville, Ont.) into making several key saves. On one occasion, Carleton midfielder Dante Cobisa controlled a ball at the edge of the box with his back to the goal; with a cool demeanor, he turned around off a single touch and fired the ball towards the goal. The shot, seemingly destined to put Carleton on top, was stopped by Ahilan as he dove to corral it and maintain his clean sheet.

In the second half, Ryerson responded to the challenge of Carleton's style, returning the physical play being dished out while still playing attack minded football. Ryerson's best chance of the day came when Raheem Rose was one on one with the keeper on a clean breakaway. Maintaining his form, Rose slotted the ball low to the near post for what seemed to be a sure goal. The ball had other plans however, bouncing off the post and onto the foot of a sliding Nick Lambis whose rebound shot narrowly missed left.

With a dearth of scoring opportunities, the game quickly devolved into chippy play that featured three yellow cards on the Ravens between the 63rd and 78th minute. As the referee blew the final whistle on a 0-0 stalemate, emotions ran high with players on both teams exchanging words with one another before being separated by their respective coaches.

Speaking after the match, midfielder Jackson Tooke remarked, "Every year we play Carleton, it's our most physical game. We have a rivalry dating back a few years so that's pretty much the basis of it. Everyone wants to get stuck in and no one wants to lose this game. We just have to give it back sometimes, both verbally and physically."

Rams head coach Filip Prostran was pleased with his team's performance, stopping short of calling it a moral victory.

"I don't judge a success of a season based on wins and losses, which I guess you're supposed to do. All week was defensive practice, defensive principles, defensive shape, and then we get a clean sheet, so I check that box off in terms of us growing as a team. This was a style that we hadn't really gone up against, real physical, so I thought our guys dealt well with it. It's important to have these games to understand that down the stretch in the playoffs, you're going to play against all kinds of different styles."

Ryerson had two shots on goal versus six for Carleton. Picking up yellow cards were Carleton's Braden Mackay (63'), Rowan Martina (65'), and Dante Cobisa (68').

With the draw, Ryerson moves to 6-1-2, while Carleton's record moves to 5-1-3. For their next match, the Rams travel to UOIT on October 3rd, the start of a crucial three game road trip that ends with a match at Carleton.

Source: Ryerson Rams

Schroeter stays hot as Gaels defeat UOIT 1-0 for fourth straight win

KINGSTON, Ont. (September 26, 2015) - The Queen's Gaels (4-1-2) extended their win streak to four games as Jacob Schroeter (Ottawa) scored the lone goal in a 1-0 win over the UOIT Ridgebacks (3-3-1) in men's OUA soccer action on Saturday afternoon from Miklas McCarney Field.

The Gaels came into today's game on a three game win streak looking to climb into the top three in the standings after their two game homestand is over this weekend.  Gaels strike Jacob Schroeter entered play as the reigning OUA and CIS male player of the week and he didn't waste much time to get the Gaels on the board. In the 27th minute Schroeter finished off a cross from teammate Andrew Martin to put the Gaels out in front early 1-0. The goal was Schroeter's fifth of the season which puts him fourth in the OUA and extended his goal scoring streak to four games.

The two teams kept their keepers busy in the opening frame but Queen's starter Taylor Reynolds (Kingston, Ont.) held the fort stopping all three shots faced while UOIT keeper Travis Martin stopped two of the three sent his way.

In the second half the game got physical and a yellow card went to Idress Sharrieff in the 58th minute. The Gaels were awarded a penalty kick as Schroeter was taken down inside the box by Sharrieff and Kristian Zanette (Thunder Bay, Ont.) fired a shot at Martin that he secured to keep the Gaels lead at just one.

Queen's picked up their own yellow in the 81st minute as Chris Wellsman (Victoria) got called. From there Queen's held strong defensively and secured themselves the win.

Reynolds finished the day with four saves to pick up the win and the clean sheet.

Source: Queen's Gaels

Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0
September 23, 2015 Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0