AROUND OUA: Lions erase half-time deficit in championship rematch with McMaster

AROUND OUA: Lions erase half-time deficit in championship rematch with McMaster


York 3 @ McMaster 2

Laurentian 0 @ UOIT 1

Nipssing 2 @ Trent 1

Windsor 3 @ Brock 0

Algoma 0 @ Laurier 4

Waterloo 1 @ Guelph 2

Queen's 1 @ Carleton 1

Lions erase half-time deficit for season opening win

The York University Lions men's soccer team began its OUA and CIS title defence on Sunday afternoon (Aug. 30) with a thrilling 3-2 comeback victory over the McMaster Marauders at Ron Joyce Stadium in Hamilton, Ont.
Newcomer Michael Cox (Calgary), a fourth-year striker in his first season with the Lions, was the hero in this one with the winning goal in the 88th minute when he rose above his marker in the box and headed the ball past McMaster goalkeeper Angelo Cavalluzzo.
Earlier in the half, third-year midfielder Jonathan Lao (Unionville, Ont.) scored his first of the season by finishing a fast break and sending his shot inside the far post, a goal that tied the contest and erased a 2-1 lead the Marauders held at the half.
The season opener was a rematch of both championship finals last year, and the game did not disappoint. McMaster got the first good scoring opportunity when Gersi Xhuti forced a turnover from Colm Vance (Bradford, Ont.) but could not score on the wide open net. Three minutes later, the Lions made the Marauders pay for their miss when Tyrone Downes (Markham, Ont.) shook off a defender and slide a shot past a sliding Cavalluzzo to open the scoring.
The Marauders evened the match in the 20th minute when Yunus Mollayev scored his third goal of the weekend, and five minutes later they took their first lead on a goal by Sasha Ricciuti.
Vance finished with two saves on the afternoon, while Cavalluzzo made four.
The Lions are one of only three teams in the OUA West to be undefeated after the opening weekend of play. They will return home for a game against the 1-1 Brock Badgers on Saturday (Sept. 5) at York Stadium. Kick-off is set for 3:15pm.

Source: York Lions

Early penalty kick difference in Ridgebacks first win of 2015

OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT men's soccer team may have wanted six points in their first weekend of OUA conference action, but they're still happy with four of a possible six.
After a heartbreaking 1-1 draw against Nipissing at home on Saturday, the Ridgebacks were back on Vaso's Field on Sunday, hoping their first victory would come against the Laurentian Voyageurs.
In a match that was even throughout, Carlos Gonzales-Mugaburu's penalty kick in the 14th minute proved to be the difference as UOIT walked away with a 1-0 victory against the Voyageurs.
Each team ended the game with nine shots. UOIT put seven on goal, while Laurentian hit the net six times. Both Travis Martin (UOIT) and Connor Vande Weghe played a major role in the match, each making big stops and standing tall when needed.
Martin ended the game with six saves for his first cleansheet and win of the campaign. Vande Weghe made six saves in the loss.
UOIT had 20 fouls in the match, while Laurentian had 14.
The next match for the Ridgebacks is Saturday, Sept. 5 in Peterborough against the Trent Excalibur. Kick-off is 1 p.m.
Following that, the team will play their annual friendly against the Durham Lords at Vaso's Field on Wednesday, Sept. 9. Kick-off for the men's game is scheduled for 8:15 p.m.

Source: UOIT Ridgebacks

Lakers take four points in opening weekend visit with Trent

Saturday afternoon, the Nipissing Lakers men's soccer team fought hard to earn a single point and Sunday, they held on to earn their first win of the year and cap off a solid weekend.

The Lakers built up a 2-0 lead and hung on to win 2-1 over the Trent Excalibur in Peterborough to cap off the opening weekend of the OUA soccer season.

Lakers captain Jean-Michel Paulin and veteran Brandon TeBrake each scored a goal for the Lakers before Trent replied late to cut the lead in half.

Nicholas Cirullo, who made his first start of the year and first start as a Laker, picked up the win for Nipissing.

The Lakers picked up four or a possible six points on the weekend, which should be considered a solid start for the squad.

They'll now play just a single game next weekend, facing the Carleton Ravens Friday evening to wrap up their first two weekends of play.

Game time is scheduled for 5:15 p.m. in Ottawa.

Source: Nipissing Lakers

Brock drop 3-0 decision to Windsor

The Brock University men's soccer team (1-1 OUA) were shutout 3-0 by the Windsor Lancers Sunday afternoon at home. 

Windsor opened the scoring right at the end of the first half, as Tony Falkestajn put a header into the left corner, giving the Lancers a 1-0 lead at the end of 45 minutes.

Just five minutes apart early in the second half, the Lancers Leighton Speechley-Price added his first two goals of the season, putting Windsor ahead 3-0. In the 50th minute, Speechley-Price drilled a penalty kick past Brock goalkeeper Matthew Zaikos. In the 55th minute, after Zaikos came up with a big save off the foot of Michael Plo, Speechley-Price was on the edge of the crease to bury home the rebound.

In goal, Windsor starter Kyle Vizirakis recorded a shutout after not seeing a shot on goal over 90 minutes. Zaikos turned aside seven of the 10 shots he faced in the loss.

The Badgers return to action next Saturday at 3:15 pm when they take on the York Lions on the road.

Source: Brock Badgers

Laurier takes four points from Algoma

WATERLOO, Ont. (August 30, 2015) – The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's soccer team opened the year by taking four of a possible six points from the visiting Algoma Thunderbirds as the two teams battled in a weekend doubleheader.

On Saturday, Laurier got off to a slow start as the Thunderbirds found the back of the net just 12 minutes in. Second year forward Mohammed Alsuraihi of Nigeria, opened his 2015 account when he beat Hawks starting keeper Ryan Mandryk of Ancaster, Ont.

The goal acted as a wakeup call for the purple and gold, and for the rest of the half, they controlled play but were unable to solve Algoma keeper Nicholas Palazzi of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

After firing 18 shot attempts towards the Algoma goal in the first half, the Hawks continued to put on the pressure in the second and were finally rewarded in the 63rd minute. Rookie midfielder Leonardo Leone of Oakville, Ont., took advantage of his opportunity to level the score at one.

Laurier would continue to press for the go-ahead marker but it never came as the two teams played to a 1-1 draw.

Sunday was a different story for the Hawks, however, as they were able to get the quick start they were hoping for in the first meeting.

Nineteen minutes in, midfielder Adam Zrebiec of Kitchener, Ont., scored his second career goal to give Laurier the lead.

Less than 10 minutes later, Niklas Bauer of Newmarket, Ont., got in on the scoring action as he extended the lead to two with his first of two goals on the day. Bauer would strike again in the 40th minute to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead at the break.

In the second half, Laurier put the game out of reach in the 63rd minute when Trystan Martin of Toronto, netted his first goal of the year to give the Hawks a 4-0 victory.

After earning the draw in game one, Mandryk earned the victory for the Hawks in game two as he made one save. Palazzi, who was very strong for Algoma in game one, finishing with 13 saves, took the loss on Sunday after he allowed three goals on seven shots.

Up next for the Hawks, they will take on their crosstown rivals, the Waterloo Warriors (0-2-0), at Warrior Field on Saturday, September 5. Kickoff is set for 3:15 p.m.

Source: Laurier Golden Hawks

Gryphons score twice in 2nd half to beat Warriors 2-1

Guelph, ON – After falling behind 1-0 in the first half, the Gryphons Men's Soccer team would storm back with a pair of goals just four minutes apart in the second half to defeat the Waterloo Warriors 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at the Gryphon Soccer Complex.  With the win, the Gryphons improve to 1-1-0 on the season while the Warriors fall to 0-2-0.
Fourth year Captain Justin Springer equalized for the Gryphons in the 52nd minute with the team's first goal of the 2015 OUA season.  Just four minutes later, rookie Atchu Siva (Brampton, ON) gave Guelph the lead with is first tally as a Gryphon.
The Gryphons and Warriors will meet again in one week's time, but first the Gryphons will travel to London to face the Western Mustangs at 6pm on Wednesday, September 2.

Source: Guelph Gryphons

Ravens give up late equalizer in 1-1 draw with Queen's

OTTAWA, ON – The Ravens men's soccer team gave up a late lead in their home opener today, as Queen's earned a point in a 1-1 draw at MNP Park. Given the rivalry between the two teams, it was only fitting that the opening game of the OUA regular season ended in a tie.

Queen's appeared to have the advantage through the first 45 minutes as they controlled the flow of the game for good portions, however, it was Carleton who entered the half with the lead.

Carleton pressed in the 22nd minute and got its lead when Walker Smith delivered the ball into the box with a beautiful corner kick that forward Mekonen Lovemore-White timed immaculately to head into the back of the net.

Carleton came out firing in the second half, but missed two really good chances early on that could have sealed the deal.

In a tightly-contested game, Carleton saw daylight but it was Queen's who ended up with the last laugh.

The Ravens turned the ball over in the middle third and Queen's forward Jacob Schroeter made them pay by burying one home in the 83rd minute.

Overall, it was a physical game that saw both sides give it their best shot. Carleton had fine displays from goaltender Félix Daigle and forward Lovemore-White.

The men's soccer team plays its next game is on Friday, September 4th against Nipissing at 5:15 p.m.

Source: Carleton Ravens

Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0
September 23, 2015 Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0