No. 5 Gryphons defeat Lancers 31-21 to advance to OUA semifinals

No. 5 Gryphons defeat Lancers 31-21 to advance to OUA semifinals
Guelph, Ont. – The No. 5 Guelph Gryphons defeated the Windsor Lancers 31-21 in an OUA quarter-final game on a rainy and cold Saturday night in Alumni Stadium. This win will allow the Gryphons to move on to face Queen's in the OUA semifinals next Saturday.
Rob Farquharson led the offence with 133 rushing yards and a long of 23 yards. Saxon Lindsey led the receivers with a total of 77 yards, with Charette close behind with a total of 51 yards. It would be James Ingram who got the longest pass of the game with a long of 37 yards. Jazz Lindsey finished with 18-for-29 for 247 yards and a touchdown.
Windsor's Austin Kennedy tossed a touchdown in the loss, finished the game with 20-for-37 with 255 yards passing.
The Gryphons started the game out strong, scoring a touchdown on their first drive of the game. Starting with a complete pass to A'dre Fraser, the Gryphons were standing on their own 52-yard line. Two runs by Rob Farquharson had them making some progress, but not enough to move them down the field quickly. After a pass to Saxon Lindsey, the Gryphons were on the 35-yard line. A great run by Farquharson got Guelph up to the 12-yard line. The Lancers were called for unnecessary roughness, setting the Gryphons up for a first-and-goal. Farquharson would run it in for a touchdown, and Ferraro would get the extra point making it 7-0. The Gryphons made it back onto the board again after an interception return for a touchdown by Curtis Newton, and another extra point put the Gryphons up to 14-0.
The Lancers were having a hard time putting together a successful drive; with the Gryphons dominating coverage and rushing Windsor quarterback Austin Kennedy (Windsor, Ont.). Windsor would get on the board after an interception return for a touchdown by Kuinton Elliot (Amherstberg, Ont.), making it 14-7 after the extra point by Dan Cerino. The Gryphons would respond by putting together a drive that got them into field goal range. Ferraro's 19-yard field goal attempt was good and the Gryphons were up 17-7 in the first quarter.
Later on in the second quarter, the Lancers would fake a punt with kicker Dan Cerino (Stoney Cree, Ont.) throwing for a first down, and then defensive back Dave McDuffie (Windsor, Ont.) putting together a successful drive that put them on Guelph's 7-yard line. Austin Kennedy would fumble the snap, but recover it himself to hand it off to Mitch Dender (Amherstberg, Ont.) who would run it up the middle to make it 17-14 to end the first half after the extra point by Cerino.
The Gryphons started out the second half with another scoring drive. Starting on the 39-yard line, a pass to Alex Charette and a run by Farquharson would be enough for a first down. A big pass to Saxon Lindsey gets the ball to the 36-yard line but it would be James Ingram who would run it in to make it 24-14 for the Gryphons after the extra point by Ferraro. Windsor would concede a safety later on in the third period, making it 26-14. The Gryphons were able to put together a good drive immediately after that, but a holding call against the Gryphons backed them up 10 yards forcing the Gryphons to punt. Windsor would get the next opportunity to score with Dylan Whitfield (Windsor, Ont.) running it around the pack from the one-yard line, making it 26-21 after the extra point by Cerino.
After a three-and-out by the Gryphon defence, the Lancers would concede another safety making it 28-21 for Guelph. This would set the Gryphons up for a drive that would end at Windsor's one-yard line after a fumble that was recovered by the Lancers.
Guelph would put together a drive in the fourth quarter that put them in field goal range, starting on Windsor's 33-yard line. An unnecessary roughness penalty against the Lancers would move the Gryphons down to the 19-yard line, with Farquharson running to the 15-yard line. Ferraro's 22-yard field goal attempt would be good and the final score would be 31-21 for the Gryphons.
The defence came up with a big play in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, sacking Austin Kennedy and blocking the field goal attempt by Dan Cerino. Patrick McGrath led the defence with a total of 8.5 tackles, 6 of which were solo and 5 were assisted. Cameron Walker had the most sacks however, with one assisted and one unassisted.
The Guelph Gryphons will move on to play the Queen's Golden Gaels in Kingston on Saturday November 2nd at 1:00 p.m. in the OUA semifinals.

Source: Guelph Sports Info

Blues top Warriors
October 19, 2013 Blues top Warriors
Lancers best Carleton 44-14
September 14, 2013 Lancers best Carleton 44-14
Gryphons soar over Blues
September 14, 2013 Gryphons soar over Blues
Gee-Gees get past Blues
September 7, 2013 Gee-Gees get past Blues
OUA By The Numbers
August 28, 2013 OUA By The Numbers