W-Soccer Roundup: RMC grinds out a draw with No. 1 Ottawa

W-Soccer Roundup: RMC grinds out a draw with No. 1 Ottawa
HAMILTON, Ont. - Recapping the midweek women's soccer action from around the OUA.

Queen’s 2 at Carleton 2
Wednesday afternoon’s soccer game between Carleton and Queen’s featured plenty of drama and some late game heroics by the Ravens.

The OUA East women’s soccer game had everything you could ask for in a match.

Nice goals, spirited competition, a spectacular finish and a 2-2 draw.

The teams went into the dying seconds of the game tied at 1-1 but Queen’s scored in the 89th minute to take a 2-1 lead.

Things did not look good for the Ravens.

But in a never-say-die attitude and with a determined effort, Carleton charged back to tie the game 2-2 in extra time as Andrea Way (Navan, ON) played the role of heroine for the Ravens with a game tying marker.

Way picked up a perfect time to notch her ninth marker of the season.

“I’m disappointed it wasn’t the game winner but it enabled us (Carleton) to get a point when it was looking like we weren’t going to get any,” said Way. “They (Queen’s) seemed to let up after taking the lead. We took advantage of it, picked up our game and tied the game.”

Adrianna Ruggiero (Markham, ON) gave Carleton a 1-0 Carleton with her 6th goal of the season in the 32nd minute.

Queen’s replied with the next two goals (60th, 89th) to take a late game lead before Way saved the day for Carleton

“It was definitely and exciting finish,” said Alex McNutt, Ravens head coach. “I thought we (Carleton) played well in the first half but our legs started to go in the second frame of play. We really had to dig down to score that game tying goal.

It was strong mental play on the girl’s part. We’ve come from behind before this season and did it again versus Queen’s. That’s part of our game that will take us through the rest of the year.”
Carleton (7-2-4) is in third place in the OUA East division with 24 points while Queen’s (6-2-4) is right behind in fourth place with 22 points.

Carleton and Ottawa will meet for the second time this season on Saturday, Oct. 12. Game time at Ravens Field is 1:00 p.m.

Source: Carleton Sports Info

McMaster 1 at Western 3
LONDON, Ont. - The trio of Jenna White, Tianna Deluzio and Amanda Boyle launched the Western Mustangs women's soccer team to a 3-1 victory over the McMaster Marauders on Wednesday evening at Western's Huron Flats Field.
The Mustangs and the Marauders each came out strong as they tried to settle their previous 0-0 draw from late last month, but it would be the Mustangs who prevailed, extending their undefeated streak to 12 consecutive games.
"It's a good feeling and it's a well-deserved win," said Mustangs head coach Martin Painter. "I thought we played a pretty good 90 minutes. I'm not happy about the goal we conceded, but other than that I thought it was a great effort."
With the win the Mustangs improve to 7-0-5 on the season and maintain the top spot in the OUA West standings, while the Marauders record falls to 4-4-5.
The opening half of the contest saw immediate action as Western's Jenna White netted the first goal of the game after the Marauders received a foul in their 18-yard box at the three minute mark. With the 1-0 advantage, the Mustangs continued to apply offensive pressure and were able to control the ball in the Marauders defensive end for the majority of the half.

After another foul for the Marauders, Tianna Deluzio was able to further the Mustangs lead when she headed the second goal of the game at the 23 minute mark. The Marauders were able to regroup and rally back with some strong offensive pressure late in the half, allowing McMaster's Jessie Faber to cut the Mustangs lead to 2-1 at the break.
The second half continued to see the Mustangs offence pressure the Marauders deep in their end for a large portion of the contest. Western's Amanda Boyle was able to secure a 3-1 lead for the Mustangs when she fired off a stellar shot on Marauder's goaltender Brittany Duffie, hitting the back of the net for the third Mustangs goal of the match. As the game clock ran down to zero the Mustangs walked away with a 3-1 victory and extended the team's unbeaten streak to 12 straight games.
"We've got four big games left - three of them are at home and we have to get ready for two tough games coming up this weekend," said Painter. "We are in a very good situation and we are very happy about where we are."
The Mustangs will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 12, as they face-off against the Brock Badgers at 1:00 p.m. at Western's Huron Flats Field.

Source: Western Sports Info

RMC 0 at Ottawa 0
The RMC Paladins came to Matt Anthony Field and executed their game plan, forcing the No. 1 Ottawa Gee-Gees to settle for a 0 – 0 draw on Wednesday night.

The Paladins clogged up the middle of the field moving the Gee-Gees’ play out to the wings and engaging the Ottawa attackers immediately when they tried to bring the ball inside.

The Gee-Gees sent 11 shots on goal, many of them from far out, but were unable to get one past keeper Alexandria Hogg.

“They put 11 players behind the ball and forced us to play against their 11 on one-third of the field,” said head coach Steve Johnson. “There’s certainly things we can do better, whether it’s in a game where the other team packs the back or comes out to play. We were sloppy in some aspects of the game and that needs to be addressed.”

Despite the tight defence, the Gee-Gees were able to create some quality scoring chances. They came out in the second half and started to work it into the box and had a few passes sail across the goal.

“They were sitting back, it seemed like their goal to play for a tie. We couldn’t really get it going,” said third year midfielder, Julia Francki. “I was trying to generate chances. I think at times we were getting frustrated so we were trying things out but I think we worked hard.”

In the 65th minute, Gee-Gees substitute Sarah de Carufel drilled a free kick off the inside of the bar. The ball was promptly scooped up by the keeper before her teammates could challenge for a rebound.
Francki was consistent in moving the ball up the field and getting shots on net all game long. Four of the 11 shots were off her foot.

With 20 minutes to go, Francki created one of the closest chances of the night as she darted in alone on the left side but was met by the keeper who blocked the ball just as she got the shot off.

That would prove to be their final chance of the game as RMC held off and recorded their second-ever tie against Ottawa. That broke a streak of 14 straight Gee-Gee triumphs including a 5 – 0 win earlier this season.

The Gee-Gees turn around and get ready to face their rival Carleton on Saturday at Carleton. The two teams produced a similar result in their last meeting – a 1 – 1 tie on September 11.

“We can’t take any team lightly. Carleton’s a very good team. We’re going to have to come out and bring it if we want to win,” added Francki.

Saturday’s match will be broadcast on SSN Canada.

Source: Ottawa Sports Info