W-Soccer Roundup: Western and Ottawa remain undefeated

W-Soccer Roundup: Western and Ottawa remain undefeated
HAMILTON, Ont. - Recapping the women's soccer action from around the OUA.

September 29
Western 2 at UOIT 1
OSHAWA, Ont., - The Western Mustangs women's soccer team kept their undefeated record intact, defeating the UOIT Ridgebacks 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at UOIT's Vaso's Field.

The win was the Mustangs second victory over the Ridgebacks this season and moved Western to the top of the OUA West Division standings with a 5-0-4 record. UOIT drops to 3-5-2 on the year.

In the opening half the Ridgebacks fired off three shots on Mustangs goaltender Tori Edgar, while UOIT's goaltender Laura Whelan saw two Western shots. Jess Friend put Western on the scoreboard first when she netted a goal at the 33 minute mark, to give the Mustangs a 1-0 advantage. Western was able to maintain the lead throughout the remainder of the half securing the 1-0 score going into the break.

The Ridgebacks came out strong offensively in the second half, taking five shots on Edgar, with Western firing off only three shots on Whelan. Despite the difference in shots on net, the Mustangs were able to increase their lead when Amanda Boyle scored the second Mustangs goal of the game, and her fourth of the season, at the 61 minute mark.
UOIT responded just twelve minutes later as Cassandra Sribny netted the Ridgebacks first goal of the game, and cutting the Mustangs lead to 2-1. That was as close as the game would get as the Mustangs were able to defend their lead until the final whistle, picking up a 2-1 victory to extend their undefeated streak to nine games.

The Mustangs will be back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 2, as they travel to Windsor to face-off against the Lancers at 6:00 p.m. 

Source: Western Sports Info

Guelph 2 at McMaster 2
Two second-half goals powered the Guelph Gryphons to a 2-0 win over McMaster in OUA women's soccer action Sunday at Ron Joyce Stadium.

The Marauders were trying to avenge the only blemish on their OUA record having previously lost to Guelph 2-0 in the second game of the season. Since that point McMaster had gone seven games without a loss and are looking to make some gains in the standings.

The opening stanza versus the Gryphons saw both teams playing a conservative style, waiting for a scoring chance but careful to avoid any mistakes that could lead to a goal. McMaster's Anne Yeboah showed her speed with some solid runs, but her shots on goal were handled well by the Guelph keeper.

In the second half, McMaster tried to mount some early pressure but it was Guelph that broke the tie in the 56th minute. A failed challenge in the Maroon zone left Guelph's Erica Bain all alone in front of Mac keeper Brittany Duffey and she buried the chance to grab the 1-0 lead.

Just four minutes later, another McMaster giveaway allowed Gryphon Jenny Dunn to drive a shot past the diving Duffey and the Guelph advantage was up to two.

The best chance for McMaster came in the final minute when Stephanie Davis got her head on a corner kick but sent it over the net.

The Marauders are next in action on Saturday, October 5th at York, and are back home on October 6th to take on UOIT.

Source: McMaster Sports Info

Laurentian 1 at Carleton 1
It was rematch time on Sunday afternoon at Ravens Field between the Carleton Ravens and visiting Laurentian Voyagers. Carleton was looking for a little payback after the Voyageurs edged the Ravens 1-0 last weekend in Sudbury courtesy of a last second goal.

This time around, not much was settled from a Ravens point of view as Carleton and Laurentian fought to a 1-1 tie with each team earning one point.

“We (Carleton) were hoping for a win and three points but, unfortunately have to settle for one,” said Ravens assistant coach, Sophie Lecot-Hearn.

“I knew the game would be a battle but we came back after they (Laurentian) scored first. It wasn’t easy for us considering we had to play without our captain and had several girls playing out of position.”

Ravens’ team captain and fifth-year defender Briana De Souza (Toronto, ON) suffered a concussion on Saturday against Nipissing and was forced to sit out the Laurentian game.

The Voyageurs opened the scoring in the 10th minute to take a 1-0 lead.
Carleton midfield Emma Landry (Ottawa, ON) (31st) tied things up seconds after teammate Samantha Nealon (Ottawa, ON) was fouled and the Ravens were awarded a free kick.

Ravens forward Sarah Royer (Lethbridge, AB) took the freebie and Landry capitalized on a loose ball in front of the Voyageurs goal to make the score 1-1.

Both teams were unable to convert on any of their second half chances.

With the tie, Carleton remains unbeaten at Ravens Field this season in four home games.

The Ravens go to 6-2-2 and have cracked the 20 point plateau in the OUA East division.
Laurentian is now 4-3-3 and have 15 points.

Carleton hit the road next weekend for two games. On Saturday, Oct. 5 the Ravens will be at Trent University in Peterborough. Game time is Noon. The following day Sunday, Oct. 6 Carleton will visit RMC at Kingston beginning at 1:00 p.m.

Source: Carleton Sports Info

York 4 at Brock 0
ST CATHARINES, Ont. – The Brock University women's soccer team (2-4-4 OUA) fell to the York Lions (3-2-5 OUA) by the score of 4-0 on Sunday afternoon.

Brock found themselves on the wrong side of many challenges on this day but kept themselves in the game through the first half.

The Badgers were able to beat the York keeper on one instance but the goal was disallowed due to a close offside call sending the teams into halftime with no score.

Nour Ghoneim got the scoring started for the Lions just five minutes into the second half to go up 1-0.

York was able to hold onto the momentum thanks to consecutive goals from Sarah Wong coming in the 61st and 76th minutes.

Charlene D'Mello would grab the fourth and final goal in the 90th minute giving the Lions the 4-0 victory.

Brock's Alexa Jackman played an excellent first half in goal making five saves but could not hold off the relentless offense that York threw at the Badgers through 90 minutes.

Brock's next action will come in a key matchup at home against the UOIT Ridgebacks on Saturday, Oct. 5 with the game starting at 1 p.m. The Ridgebacks are one point ahead of the Badgers in the West division standings.

Source: Brock Sports Info

Toronto 1 at Ryerson 0
TORONTO – The Ryerson Rams women’s soccer team had their recent unbeaten streak snapped on Sunday afternoon, dropping a 1-0 contest against the Toronto Varsity Blues at Monarch Park Stadium.

Aisha Lewis (Mississauga, Ont.) scored her fifth goal of the season in the 32nd minute to give the Blues a 1-0 lead and the visitors were able to ride the advantage through to full time.

This was the second meeting of the season between these teams and despite the loss the Rams played a much tighter and confident game this time around.

“We had a good weekend last weekend and we had a good week of practice so I think the girls, in fairness to them, deserved to come into this game confident. We’re a different team than when we played U of T the last time”, said head coach Kevin Souter following the match.

Rebecca Petrocelli (Woodbridge, Ont.) had another solid game in goal for the Rams on Saturday. She made several key saves in the first half, including a breakaway opportunity on Toronto’s LaShaunna Harper (Toronto), to keep the Rams in the game.

“Rebecca’s been great for us. We always say about goalkeepers to make the saves we expect you to make and give us one big save a game. I think her ratio is at least one per game, sometimes two or three”, commented Souter.

Ryerson (3-5-1) remains in sixth place in the OUA east standings while Toronto improves to 7-2-1 on the year and is currently in second place.

The Rams return to action next weekend when they travel to Sudbury and North Bay for back to back games with Laurentian and Nipissing.

Source: Ryerson Sports Info

Nipissing 1 at Ottawa 9
Seven different Gee-Gees found the back of the net on Sunday afternoon as they rolled over the Nipissing Lakers 9-1 on Matt Anthony Field.

The Gee-Gees controlled the play from the outset, getting their midfielders involved and moving the ball around the field with relative ease. That control paid off early in the form of four goals in a span of 14 minutes off the feet of Corina Jarrett, Faythe Lou, Julia Francki, and Krista Draycott.

“We’ve got players who can score on this team. So the balance we get in scoring, I think is important for us,” commented head coach Steve Johnson. “Other teams might find it hard to shut us down because there’s not one particular player they can key on.”

The Lakers certainly found it tough to defend the balanced Gee-Gees attack allowing 14 shot at their goal.

“It’s good to have a lot of players that have the confidence to go in and take their opportunities at the goal,” added Johnson.

Krista Draycott was awarded a penalty kick as the game approached halftime but was stopped on her attempt. Soon after, in the 45th minute, Chantal McFetridge made up for it, burying Ottawa’s fifth goal.

Gee-Gees’ keeper Cynthia LeBlanc came out of the game at half after a strong performance solidifying the 5-0 lead with three saves. Julia McDonald replaced her for the remainder of the game.

The Lakers gained a little life six minutes into the second half as Valaine Confessor converted a penalty kick. But the Gee-Gees came right back and wore down Nipissing by continuing to knock on the door and direct their energy at the Lakers’ net.

Goals by Draycott, Pilar Khoury, and a pair of beauties from substitute Sheniz Eryuzlu completed the onslaught of Gee-Gee offence. The nine-goal spree stands at the highest score the Gee-Gees have ever posted against the Lakers, topping 2011’s 8-0 victory.  

First-year midfielder Faythe Lou helped pave way for all that offence.

“I was playing up top so I was just trying my best to hold the ball up top so we could get an attack started,” she said after the game. “It really speaks to how balanced our team is. You can put any one of us on the field and we can keep a strong attack going.”

The Gee-Gees improve to 8 – 0 – 2 on the season and hit the road to take on Queen’s and Trent next Saturday and Sunday.

Source: Ottawa Sports Info

Windsor 1 at Waterloo 0

Trent 1 at RMC 6

September 28
Nipissing 0 at Carleton 4
Saturday’s performance by the Carleton Ravens was as bright and brilliant as the weather.

The OUA East women’s soccer game was played under ideal conditions as blue skies, warm temperatures and sunshine was the order of the day as the Ravens shutout the Nipissing Lakers 4-0

It was Carleton’s second victory over Nipissing in less than week.
Last Sunday at North Bay, the Ravens knocked off the Lakers 8-1.

Samantha Nealon (Ottawa, ON) led the Ravens with two goals. Emma Landry (Ottawa, ON) and Andrea Way (Navan, ON) had the other Carleton markers.

“All the girls played well today,” said Sophie Lecot-Hearn, Ravens assistant head coach. “It was nice to see all the players come off the bench, get a chance to play and contribute. It’s a very important step to get everybody involved and accumulate playing time as we move forward into October.”

The Ravens held a 3-0 lead at the end of the first half with goals by Nealon (7th, 22th) and Landry (28th).

Way scored in extra time, to give Carleton the 4-0 win and remain unbeaten at Ravens Field this season.

The Ravens improve their record to 6-2-1 and 19 points in the OUA East division.
With the loss, Nipissing record falls to 1-5-3.

The Ravens are back in action on Sunday afternoon, September 29 when they take on the Laurentian Voyageurs. Game time at Ravens Field is 1:00PM.

Source: Carleton Sports Info  

Brock 1 at Guelph 0
GUELPH, Ont. – The Brock University women's soccer team (2-3-4 OUA West) picked up a big 1-0 win against the Guelph Gryphons (5-4-1 OUA West) on Saturday afternoon.

St. Catharines native and Brock rookie Kara Ross got the lone goal in the Badgers' 1-0 shutout collecting her first goal in her OUA career.

Lindsay McDonald (Burlington, Ont.) continues to put the ball towards the goal with a team high three shots on goal.

The Gryphons' leading scorer Courtney Whiteside was held off the score sheet but had a game high five shots on goal to increase her OUA lead to 29 shots this season.

The Gryphons have dropped five of their last six matches but continue to sit in a tie for first place in the West division.

Meanwhile, the Badgers have won two games in a row but remain in eighth position trailing UOIT, Windsor and York by one point for fifth in the West division and are only six points back of first place Guelph and Western.

The Badgers will play a key home matchup tomorrow afternoon against the York Lions (2-2-5 OUA) with the action starting at 1pm.

Source: Brock Sports Info

Trent 0 at Queen’s 8
KINGSTON, Ont. (September 28, 2013) - Riley Filion (Alexandria, Ont.) netted a first-half hat-trick, leading the Gaels to an 8-0 stomping of the Trent Excalibur Saturday afternoon on West Campus.
Filion got the Gaels on the board early, finishing a cross from Jennifer Siu (London, Ont.) at the far post with a volley in the 6th minute. When Trent keeper Alexandra Vamplew couldn't corral a Gaels through ball, Filion buried her second of the game by picking the top-left corner. Siu sent another cross into the box during the 40th minute, and Filion was there again to blast her third goal past the keeper to make it 5-0.
Four other Gaels also made it onto the score-sheet, as Rachel Radu (Ottawa) found the back of the twice in the first half, along with markers from Siu and Breanna Burton (Ottawa). Brittney Snell (Tottenham, Ont.) had the Gaels' only second-half tally, making it 8-0 in the 54th minute.
Michaila Frawley (Victoria) made two saves to record the clean-sheet for the Gaels.
The Gaels (5-1-3) are back in action Wednesday evening at 7:30pm to take on the RMC Paladins (1-6-1), and then do battle against the No. 1 Ottawa Gee-Gees on Saturday at noon. Both games are on the West Campus Turf Field.

Source: Queen’s Sports Info  

Laurentian 2 at Ottawa 4
Krista Draycott potted the game-winner early in the second half, while Chantal McFetridge added two markers as the Ottawa Gee-Gees women’s soccer team defeated a tough Laurentian Voyageurs squad for the second time in as many weekends. The 4-2 victory moves the no. 1 ranked Gee-Gees to a 7-0-2 record.

“I think mentally the whole game we couldn’t let up because we know Laurentian has the capability to come back and the potential to score more goals,” said the 5-6 striker, Draycott.

A balanced start to the game gave way to an Amy-Lynn Pitton goal off a free kick to propel Laurentian into the lead in the fifteenth minute. Gee-Gees keeper Cynthia LeBlanc just got a piece of the ball as it sailed into the top left corner.

Corina Jarrett would come right back with a good chance to score at the other end but was denied.

The Gee-Gees kept pressing and were awarded a penalty kick when Pilar Khoury was taken down in the box. Chantal McFetridge promptly stepped up and buried the shot into the bottom left corner.
Khoury, the OUA scoring leader, got a chance to take a penalty kick in added time before halftime. She made no mistake on the attempt to give the Gee-Gees a 2-1 halftime lead.

The Gee-Gees came out strong in the second half resulting in Draycott’s goal as she made a nifty move to gain space in the box and hammered it past the keeper.

The Voyageurs didn’t go away and drew closer 20 minutes later on a penalty kick of their own. Pitton converted it for her second on the afternoon.

But just two minutes later McFetridge curled a beautiful free kick under the bar to all but put the game out of reach in the 70th minute.

“Today we had a much more attacking mentality than on the weekend. We wanted to get our midfielders involved a bit more,” said head coach Steve Johnson after the game.

“All season we’ve had a really strong back line. It’s something we really focus on. We always have to make sure that we are keeping possession and keeping the ball away from our net and we did well with that,” added Draycott.

“We’ll take the fact that we can score against good teams into tomorrow’s game. Laurentian hasn’t given up too many goals this season and for us to get four against them is promising,” noted Johnson, looking ahead to Sunday’s 1 p.m. match with the Nipissing Lakers (1-5-3).

Source: Ottawa Sports Info

September 27
UOIT 2 at Laurier 1
WATERLOO, Ont. (September 27, 2013) - The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks women's soccer team suffered their second loss of the season on Friday night as they dropped a 2-1 decision to the UOIT Ridgebacks at University Stadium.
Sonia Sampogna of Toronto, provided the difference maker for the Ridgebacks (3-4-2) as she scored in injury time to give UOIT their first ever victory over the Golden Hawks (4-2-3).
After UOIT took a 1-0 lead early in the second half, Julie Maheu of Oakville, Ont., playing in her first game since returning from injury, scored the equalizing goal in the 73rd minute.
However, despite some late pressure from the Hawks, they could not find the go-ahead marker setting the stage for Sampognas heroics.
UOIT goalkeeper Laura Whelan of St. Johns, N.L., turned away five of the six shots she faced to earn the win while Katrina Ward of Surrey, B.C., was handed the loss after making three saves.
The Hawks will now have a week to rest before returning to action next Friday night when they host the Waterloo Warriors at University Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.
Source: Laurier Sports Info

York 1 at Western 1
LONDON, Ont. – For the second time in as many games this season the Western Mustangs women's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw with the York Lions on Friday night in the Mustangs first game on Western's new Huron Flats Field.   
The Mustangs came into the game with a No. 8 ranking in the CIS and with the tie the team moves to 4-0-4 to remain undefeated on the season while the Lions move to 2-2-5. After tying the Lions earlier this month, it was clear that both teams were seeking to prove themselves in tonight's matchup.
"The mindset coming in was that we knew York was a good team and we wanted to stop them from going through the midfield. We knew they had some skill there and we did a good job," said Mustangs head coach Martin Painter.
The game saw a scoreless first half between the Lions and the Mustangs, although the action was not limited as the Mustangs were able to keep the pressure on the Lions defence as they controlled the ball in York's end of the field for a large part of the play. Lions goaltender Sarah Fiorini stopped two Mustangs shots on net, and was kept on her toes as the Purple and White had a number of good runs and scoring opportunities throughout the half. On the other side of the ball, the Lions fired off one shot on Mustangs goaltender Tori Edgar, and held a tight defence to prevent the Mustangs offence from breaking through to Fiorini.
As lights lit up the field for the second half of the match, the Lions offence came out aggressively and created a number of scoring opportunities for themselves. The Mustangs were able to re-apply their offensive pressure on the Lions defence as Western made a number of runs down the field and created a number of scoring opportunities on Fiorini.
The height of the game's action occurred in the dying minutes of the game when Fiorini stopped a Mustangs shot and dropped the ball in the 18-yard box, allowing the Mustangs' Lauren Winquist to score the first goal of the game in to give the Mustangs a 1-0 lead in the 84th minute. The Lions fought hard to try to cut the Western lead and were able to tie things up when Nour Ghonetm netted the game tying goal in the 89th minute of action.
"It's unfortunate that we gave up a goal at the end there but we will learn from it and it'll make us stronger," said Painter. "It's still a good result and it keeps us undefeated. I was disappointed with the way it ended but happy with the performance."
The Mustangs will be back in action on Sunday, September 29, as they travel to Oshawa to face-off against the UOIT Ridgebacks at 1:00 p.m. 

Source: Western Sports Info

McMaster 1 at Windsor 1
Another road trip, another hard-fought point for the McMaster women's soccer team. The Marauders came away from Windsor with a 1-1 draw against the Lancers on Friday night, after a goal from rookie striker Anne Yeboah levelled the match in the 76th minute.

The result extends the Marauders (3-1-5) unbeaten streak to seven games and maintains their fourth-placed position in the OUA West standings.

The first half came and went without a goal, but Windsor opened the scoring early in the second. First-year striker Kendra Thomas struck in the 49th minute to give the hosts the lead.

McMaster responded in the 76th minute, when Yeboah connected for her team-leading third goal of the season to knot the game at a goal apiece. That score held out, as the Marauders secured their fifth draw of the season.

Windsor's Tara Bernard-Rae was the busier of the two goalkeepers, as McMaster forced eight saves from her on nine shots. Marauder Brittany Duffey saved four of five shots on goal in the draw.

The Marauders return home on Sunday to resume conference play against the Guelph Gryphons (5-4-0) at Ron Joyce Stadium. The opening whistle for that matinee encounter is slated for 1:00 p.m.

Source: McMaster Sports Info

September 25
Toronto 7 at Trent 0
First-year midfielder Nicki Parkes scored three goals in leading the University of Toronto Varsity Blues women's soccer team to a 7-0 victory over the Trent Excalibur on Wednesday night (Sept. 25) in Peterborough, Ont.
With the win, The Blues move into second place in the OUA East division with a 6-2-1 record.
The Blues dominated the match from start to finish, outshooting Trent 26-3.
A native of Sarnia, Ont., Parkes notched the eventual game-winner in the eighth minute. Second-year standout LaShaunna Harper (Brampton) then scored her first goal of the season in the 25th minute.

Parkes added her second of the game in the 37th minute and fellow rookie Alyssa Golin (Mississauga) gave the Blues a 4-0 lead before the half.

Second-year midfielder Sarah Watling (Markham) tallied her first goal of 2013 in the 75th minute and Parkes completed the hat trick nine minutes later. Harper added her second of the game and season in the 88th minute to round out the lopsided win.

The Varsity Blues return to action this Sunday, Sept. 29 as they travel to take on the Ryerson Rams. Game time is set for noon.

Source: Toronto Sports Info

Waterloo 2 at Guelph 1
The Guelph Gryphons women's soccer team was defeated by the visiting Waterloo Warriors today 2-1 at the Gryphon Soccer Complex. The loss moves the Gryphon's to 5-4-0 on the season while the Warriors improve to 1-7-1.
The opening half was a wide-open affair with both sides getting chances. Midfielder Courtney Whiteside(Guelph, Ont.) and striker Victoria Cadman (Burlington, Ont.) displayed great chemistry connecting on a few passing plays leading to scoring opportunities for the Gryphon's. Unfortunately they were unable to turn these chances into goals.
Another opportunity for the Gryphon's arose in the 25th minute whenErica Bain (Niagara Falls, Ont.) lofted the ball over the Waterloo keeper's head and narrowly missed the goal.
The Gryphon's needed an injury substitution later in the half when Lauren Hampton (Calgary, AB) went down while protecting the Guelph goal. Defender Lauren Hampton (Oakville, Ont.) came on to replace Hampton. Strong play from defender Bianca Ferlisi (Woodbridge, Ont.) and goalkeeper Alexandra King (Ottawa) helped maintain the 0-0 stalemate at the half.
In the 55th minute the Gryphon's had a great scoring chance on a corner kick after a mad scramble ensued inside the Warrior box. The Gryphon's could not capitalize on the play.
Waterloo eventually broke the deadlock after Tina Wilton capped off a great passing play by the Warriors.
Another injury substitution occurred for Guelph in the second half when Natalie Schott replaced Bianca Ferlisi  The injury was a tough break for Ferlisi who had been having a very strong game in the back for the Gryphon's.
In the 68th minute the Gryphon's were finally able to even the score when Katie Casucci (Niagara Falls, Ont.) scored after a lengthy attack inside the Warrior's end.
In the 76th minute the Warriors were awarded a penalty kick after Danielle Naylor was given a yellow card for taking down a Waterloo player inside the box. Waterloo's Anne-Marie Bisson converted the kick to make the score 2-1 Warriors.
Feeling a sense of urgency the Gryphon's starting pressing forward, controlling action in the Warrior end for the final 10 minutes of the half. Courtney Whiteside had a great shot from just inside the box but was denied by the Waterloo keeper. Guelph was unable to convert the pressure into a goal, with the game ending 2-1 for Waterloo.
The Gryphon's will play again Saturday (Sept. 28) at home, hosting the Brock Badgers at 1:00 p.m.

Source: Guelph Sports Info