AROUND OUA: Western ties Waterloo 2-2 after late goal for the Warriors

AROUND OUA: Western ties Waterloo 2-2 after late goal for the Warriors


Western 2 @ Waterloo 2

Guelph 5 @ Windsor 2

RMC 0 @ Queen's 2

Western ties Waterloo 2-2 after late goal for the Warriors

WATERLOO, Ont. – A late goal for the opposition led to a 2-2 draw for the men's soccer team against the Waterloo Warriors on Friday evening at Warrior Stadium.
With only three games left in the regular season, the Mustangs find themselves in sixth place in the OUA West Division with 13 points and a 3-6-4 record. The Warriors sit directly below the Mustangs in seventh place with 10 points and a record of 3-8-1.
Only six minutes after the starting whistle, Waterloo's Orest Kowalik managed to put the ball behind Western's Ben Cowman. The Mustangs spent much of the first half trying to make up for the deficit, and found success at the 35-minute mark.
Striker Taso Bujouves netted the first goal for the Mustangs to tie the game at 1-1. With the momentum from Bujouves' goal defender Jonathan Hodge wasted no time and found the back of the net just two minutes later.
The Mustangs held the 2-1 lead for much of the second half and managed to hold off the Warriors, earning four corner shots against Waterloo and five shots on net.
Unfortunately for the purple and white, they were unable to hold on to the lead.
With only two minutes left in regulation Waterloo struck back, tying the game on a goal from Yusuf Khalid to set the final score at 2-2.
The Mustangs have the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend off before they head to Guelph for the third last game of their regular season. Game time against the Gryphons is set for 6 p.m. on Wednesday, October 14.

Source: Western Mustangs

Gaels shutout RMC with a 2-0 win

KINGSTON, Ont. (October 9, 2015) - The Gaels men's soccer team got back into the win column Friday night at Miklas McCarney Field with a 2-0 shutout victory over RMC.

The Gaels got off to a quick start in the match with an early goal in the third minute from striker Chris Wellsman (Victoria) netting his first of the season. Wellsman nearly doubled his goal tally in the 21st minute from a great opportunity set up by midfielder Rohan Sarna (Mississauga, Ont.). The Gaels took a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Queen's continued their offensive attack early in the second half and didn't take long to double their lead in the game when halftime substitute William Twardek (Ottawa) scored the second goal of the match. The Gaels controlled the play and possession throughout the remainder of the second half as they had five shots on target. The offensive pressure began to frustrate the RMC players as they received three yellow cards in the second half for bad tackles. Queen's goalkeeper Taylor Reynolds (Kingston, Ont.) was rarely tested in the match stopping the lone shot on target to earn the clean sheet.

Source: Queen's Gaels

Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0
September 23, 2015 Golden Hawks blank Gyphons 2-0