WATERLOO, Ont. - The York Lions, defending OUA soccer champions, paid a visit to Alumni Field on Sunday hoping to keep their perfect record intact. However, the western conference leaders were denied a victory against the Laurier Golden Hawks as the teams played to a 1-1 draw.

The Lions opened the scoring in the 10th minute as they were rewarded a penalty shot when Adrian Pena (Woodbridge, Ont.) was tripped in the box. Frank Bruno (Toronto, Ont.) stepped up to take the penalty kick and snuck one past Laurier keeper Yusef El-Abbar (Kitchener, Ont.)

Tempers started to flare in the 35th minute as a pushing match occurred in the Lions box. Golden Hawks Scott Carson (London, Ont.) received a yellow card and Dara Hibod (Burlington, Ont.) was ejected from the game with a red card.

Laurier seemed to take a hold of the momentum in the second half, even being a man down, as they created many scoring opportunities but were denied time and time again. Minutes before full-time, Laurier received an indirect kick within the Lions box. Veteran Matt Smith (pictured) of Oakville, Ont. stepped up and made no mistake as he scored the game tying goal, ending an exciting match.

Source: Golden Hawks Athletics

Photo credit: Golden Hawks Athletics


TORONTO, Ont. - The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team’s OUA regular season unbeaten streak ends at 31 games after falling to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues by a score of 1-0 in OUA men’s soccer action Sunday. The Ravens drop to 6-1-0 on the season for 18-team points, remaining atop the OUA East division standings.

The Ravens played an evenly-fought game with strong offensive and defensive play throughout the match. The Varsity Blues battled to the last minute of the match in an effort to avenge the 2-1 loss they suffered just last week at Ravens’ Field.

Toronto’s efforts were rewarded when they netted a goal past Arjun Langford (Oakville, Ont.) in the 87th minute to secure victory for the home side.

Veteran goalkeeper Langford was stellar in goal making several key saves, stopping seven of eight Toronto shots.

Source: Ravens Athletics


KINGSTON, Ont. - The Laurentian men's soccer team took to the pitch Sunday for the final game of their weekend road trip, taking on the Queen's Gaels. The Voyageurs were looking to make it a clean sweep of the Kingston schools, coming fresh off Saturday's win versus RMC. In a close game, the blue and gold came out on top by a score of 1-0, with the only goal coming from rookie Davor Alisic (Charlottetown, P.E.I.), while veteran Scott Cliff (Sudbury, Ont.) picked up the goose egg in goal, making five saves.

The first half saw Laurentian come out strong, controlling much of the play at both ends of the pitch. The dominant first half play paid off for the Voyageurs, as in the 12th minute Alisic netted the game's only tally.

It was a slightly different story in the second half, as the Gaels came out strong in front of their hometown crowd, looking to rebound from a shaky first half. The men from Queen's pressed hard throughout much of the half, however, some strong play on the defensive end allowed the Voyageurs to keep their opponents at bay. Midway through the half the Laurentian men had a glorious chance to put the nail in the coffin, as they were awarded a penalty shot, however, Tony Tagliafierro (Sudbury, Ont.) narrowly missed. After the missed penalty shot, the Gaels had one final push left and were given a great opportunity to knot the game at one, only to have the shot stopped by Cliff, allowing the Voyageurs to board the bus with a 1-0 victory and a huge six point weekend.

"We're very proud of the boys. It's hard to get six points on the road, and we did it this weekend," said head coach Carlo Castrechino. "We worked hard for the six points this weekend. Hopefully the boys can keep their showing against Carleton next weekend. We're on a bit of a streak right now."

Source: Voyageurs Athletics


KINGSTON, Ont. - Sean Martin-Courtright (Calgary, Alta.) only had to make two saves for his second straight shutout, however the Gaels could not capitalize on offence and settled for a 0-0 draw with Nipissing.

The Gaels defence was impressive holding the Nipissing attackers off for the entire game. The first half was a defensive match-up with little scoring chances
for both teams.

Second half play picked up in offence for the Gaels as they pressured Nipissing numerous times hitting the goal post and narrowly missing the net on their chances.

A last second throw in by Andrew Nador (Kingston, Ont.) which was headed just over the net was the last chance for the Gaels to take the win.

Source: Gaels Athletics


In the 90th minute of play Angus Moylan (St. Marys, Ont.), netted a goal off a penalty kick to help the Guelph Gryphons men’s soccer team defeat the Waterloo Warriors 2-0 on Sunday at Alumni Stadium. The Gryphons and Warriors had equal scoring opportunities during the first 45 minutes of play. With less than two minutes left in the first half, Guelph’s defender Alexander Jakimtschuk (Mississauga, Ont.) received his second red card and left the game, which meant Guelph would play the entire second half with only ten men. Guelph responded brilliantly in the second half, showing tremendous character.

Despite playing one less man, the Gryphons dominated the second half. Guelph’s Darryl Kerr pounced on a loose ball at the top of the 18 yard box and shot the ball into the right hand corner of the net to get the Gryphons on the scoreboard during the 53rd minute of play.

Warrior’s keeper Michel Saccone (Aurora, Ont.), received a yellow card after colliding with a Gryphons’ striker. Moylan capitalized on Guelph’s penalty kick to make the game 2-0. Craig Boytchuk (Strathroy, Ont.) had a stellar game in net for the Gryphons and recorded the shutout. While captain
Frankie Luzi (Guelph, Ont.) played outstanding and defender Ben Ragan (Rockwood, Ont.) also had a solid outing.

Source: Gryphons Athletics


LONDON, Ont. - Western's men's soccer team earned a pair of wins on the weekend with 2-1 victories over McMaster on Sept. 20 and over Brock on Sept. 21 to solidify their second-place position in the OUA West.

Scott Cameron (Pickering, Ont.) and Paul Seymour (Ottawa, Ont.) scored once each for Western, ranked No. 8 in Canada, while Kosta Viglatzis (Toronto, Ont.) earned the win making two key saves against the Marauders.

Mark Reilly (Hamilton, Ont.) scored for McMaster, while Matthew Grant (Brampton, Ont.) made nine saves in the loss.

Seymour's goal came late in the first half on a header past Grant to give Western the 1-0 lead at the half. Early in the second, Cameron scored to make it 2-0 before Reilly tallied for McMaster on a harmless looking counter-attack. But it was as close as the Marauders would come.

On Sept. 21, Western continued their perfect record at home with a pair of goals from rookie striker Pat Mroczek (St. Catharines, Ont.) in a 2-1 win over Brock (1-4-1).

Again, Viglatzis earned the win making three saves. George Chondronikolas was the only Badgers player to beat him with a goal in the first half to tie the game at 1-1.

Mroczek's second goal came with just under 10 minutes left in the game to earn the Mustangs the victory.

Source: Mustangs Athletics


TORONTO, Ont. - The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team defeated the Ryerson Rams, 1-0 to run their OUA East regular season unbeaten streak to 31 straight games without a loss (27-0-4) during that stretch.

The victory marks the teams second road win of the 2008 campaign as Carleton opened the OUA East regular season with 4 home games in their first five. The Ravens played a hard fought match with the Rams at Lamport Stadium, in downtown Toronto, and quickly established a defensive style as the hometown Rams came out strong and made every attempt to score early and dictated play.

Carleton’s defence played well led by veteran OUA East All-Star goalkeeper Karl Wasslen (Ottawa, Ont.) who turned away all five Ram shots to earn his 4th OUA/CIS victory of the season and his 2nd shutout.

The game’s lone goal was scored at the 26th minute of play, by veteran Craig Deebank (Pickering, Ont.) off a great feed from Andrew Park (Sudbury, Ont.). For Deebank it was his 4th regular season goal of the season.

Source: Ravens Athletics


SUDBURY, Ont. - The Laurentian Voyageurs men's soccer team proved to be victorious, 3-0, versus the RMC Paladins on Saturday. Laurentian goal scorers were Tony Tagliafierro from the penalty spot, David Hysen, and fifth year veteran J.P. Sauve with his first career OUA tally. Scott Cliff recorded the shutout for Voyageurs.

The Voyageurs entered the game looking to gain momentum in the tough OUA East after a thrilling victory last weekend versus the Queen's Gaels. Laurentian attempted to gain momentum early and force their opponents back on their heels. The attacking style allowed the Voyageurs to have two glorious chances early in the first half, only to be turned away by both; crossbar and the left post. The Laurentian men kept their composure and it began paying dividends in the 44th Minute, when Rudy Muteba (Sudbury, Ont.) was hauled down in the 18-yard box by a Paladin defender. The ever-so consistent Tagliafierro (Sudbury, Ont.), stepped up to take the penalty kick, converting it sending the Voyageurs into the break with a timely and deserved 1-0 lead.

The second half began with RMC attempting to show some sign of life. They pressed early, striking the crossbar soon after the two teams exchanged sides.
Shortly thereafter, Laurentian regained the upper hand in possession and play, which lead to further Laurentian scoring threats. A 25-yard free kick from Tagliafierro was met and converted by Hysen (Sudbury, Ont.), on a diving header, early in the half, increasing the lead to 2-0. With the game seemingly out of reach, it was time for one of Laurentian's hardest working players to attain some highly deserved glory. Late in the game, Derek Lubertino (Hamilton, Ont.) sent a corner that bounced out to the top of the 18-yard box, veteran Sauve (Pembroke, Ont.) struck gold with a hard strike, scoring his first in five years as a blue and gold Voyageur. Cliff (Sudbury, Ont.) earned his second shutout of the season, while Tagliafierro earned player of the game honours for the Voyageurs.

"We played a great game today. Probably the best of the year so far. I feel that we dominated from the first whistle until the end of the game," said Laurentian head coach Carlo Castrechino. "I'm very proud of the boys".


WINDSOR, Ont. - The Windsor Lancers men's soccer team earned 4 out of a possible 6 points this weekend as they defeated the Brock Badgers 4-2 before battling back against the McMaster Marauders to earn a 2-2 draw. The results give the Lancers 2 wins, 3 draws and a loss on the season, giving them 9 points, good enough for 4th in the OUA West division.

On Saturday against Brock, Windsor would open the scoring just 8 minutes into the game. Midfielder Duop Wur (Mississauga, Ont.) had his initial header stopped by Brock keeper Ryan Toale (Brampton, Ont.) but Steve Alaimo (Ancaster, Ont.) buried the rebound to give the Lancers the lead.

The Badgers would respond just 4 minutes later as Dan Depalma (Hamilton, Ont.) walked in untouched into the Lancers box and beat keeper Dan Mendonca (London, Ont.) to even the score. Brock would take the lead in the 30th minute after a bad turnover by the Windsor defence allowed Taylor Vanbeek (Burlington, Ont.) to slide a shot past Mendonca. The Badgers had a great chance to go up by two goals as they were rewarded a penalty shot, but the attempt was fired high over the net.

With the opportunity to get back into the game, Windsor came out and dominated the second half of play. A number of early chances were turned away by Toale before the Lancers were able to break through in the 65th minute. A cross into the box found a streaking Carlo D'Emilio (Woodstock, Ont.) who buried it into the back of the net to tie the game.

The Lancers continued to pressure the Brock defence and it would crack again in the 81st minute. Darrin Dielemens (Windsor, Ont.) stole the ball, walked into the box and fired back across the net to give Windsor the lead. Wur would add the Lancers 4th goal just minutes later to secure the win.

On Sunday against McMaster, the Lancers, once again, jumped out to an early lead. In the 34th minute, a ball played into the McMaster box landed at the feet of Gino Berardi (LaSalle, Ont.) who fired it into the top corner past McMaster keeper Matt Grant (Brampton, Ont.). Windsor continued to control the play until late in the half when the Marauders began to create scoring opportunities but Windsor keeper Mendonca was equal to the task.

McMaster came out a different team in the second half, creating chance after chance on Mendonca. They would break through and even the score at 1 in the 58th minute. Justin Vespa (Ancaster, Ont.) crossed the ball to the back post where Omar Nakeeb (Mississauga, Ont.) headed the ball underneath a diving Mendonca into the back of the net.

A red card in the 61st minute, which left the Lancers with only 10 men on the pitch, fuelled the Marauders attack even further and they took the lead 17 minutes later. A bending free kick into the Windsor box was directed past Mendonca by Garrett McConville (Ottawa, Ont.), giving McMaster the lead late in the match.

The Lancers showed their resiliency and just 2 minutes later tied the game at 2.

Source: Lancers Athletics


September 20, 2008
Nipissing 0, Queen's 0
Laurentian 3, RMC 0
Carleton 1, Ryerson 0
Toronto 0, Trent 0
Windsor 4, Brock 2
Western 2, McMaster 1
Laurier 2, Waterloo 1

September 21, 2008
Laurentian 1, Queen's 0
Nipissing 1, RMC 1
Ryerson 2, Trent 2
Toronto 1, Carleton 0
McMaster 2, Windsor 2
Western 2, Brock 1
Guelph 2, Waterloo 0
York 1, Laurier 1
October 31, 2008 OUA PLAYOFF PUSH: M-RUBGY
October 24, 2008 OUA PLAYOFF PUSH: M-RUGBY
September 22, 2008 OUA M-RUGBY ROUNDUP
September 22, 2008 OUA M-SOCCER ROUNDUP
September 18, 2008 OUA M-SOCCER ROUNDUP
September 15, 2008 OUA M-RUGBY ROUNDUP
September 15, 2008 OUA M-SOCCER ROUNDUP