M-RUGBY ROUNDUP: Gaels defeat Mustangs to remain in first

M-RUGBY ROUNDUP: Gaels defeat Mustangs to remain in first

Saturday, October 18

Western 8 @ Queen's 33

KINGSTON, Ont. - The Gaels (6-1) toppled the Western Mustangs (4-2-1) with a 33-8 victory on Homecoming Saturday on Nixon Field.
The Gaels were on the defence early as the Mustangs forced a lineout within the Gaels 22. With a series of passes and a long run from Kainoa Lloyd (Mississauga, Ont.), the Gaels took the ball from their 22 to ten meters from the Mustangs goal line. With this push, a host of Gaels forced the ball over the line and Joseph Yelle (Brantford, Ont.) put down the first try of the game with a successful conversion by Adam McQueen (Canmore, Alta.).  The Mustangs were quick to respond with Joshua Bald breaking away from the pack to score the first try for the Mustangs, shortening the gap to 7-5 for the Gaels.  
The Mustangs surged forward in an attempt to catch the Gaels, however, a Mustang player received a serious injury requiring medical attention that stopped game time. From the injury, Western was awarded a penalty kick successfully completed by Mike Turnbull. Lloyd tried to make a final run in the first half, cut short by the referees whistle, leaving the score 8-7 for the Mustangs at halftime.  
The Gaels pushed hard and fast immediately in the second half to put down an early try by Angus MacPhail (Vancouver) with another successful McQueen convert allowing the Gaels to reclaim their lead. Western responded quickly, the Gaels finding themselves immediately on defense deep in their 22. The two teams struggled near the centre of the pitch trying to break through the others defensive line.  The Gaels finally gained traction to push through with a series of high passes and offensive force putting down a try by Lucas Rumball (Toronto) and scoring a tough conversion by McQueen.
The Gaels didn't back down with another strong push forcing a scrum five metres from the Mustangs goal line and pushing James Dent (Toronto) across for a try followed by their fourth successful convert. The Gaels pulled further ahead and put any hopes of for the Mustangs out of reach as Lucas scored the final try putting the final score at 33-8 for Queen's.

 Source: Queen's Gaels


RMC 38 @ Waterloo 10

WATERLOO, Ont. - Warriors men's rugby were outplayed Saturday afternoon against the RMC Paladins and eventually lost the match 38-10. Kyle Kraemer (St. Clements) had the lone try for the Warriors while Sang Joon (Jason) Park (Mississauga) scored a convert and a penalty goal in the lopsided loss. Waterloo wraps up their season next Sunday on the road against the Queen's Gaels.
Field conditions were a small factor in this match which led to more-than-average number of turnovers and shorter runs. RMC opened the scoring in the 9th minute when they made a powerful run on the outside of the pitch to score a try and make the score 5-0 after the convert was missed.
Waterloo would not waste any time getting back at the game when the Warriors made strong runs before being awarded a penalty on the 25 yard line. Park split the uprights and brought the score to 5-3.
The black and gold's defence would stand strong on an RMC surge, but would eventually be penetrated when Morgan Holdway punched in for the Paladins second try of the game. After a successful convert, the score was 12-3.
Waterloo's offensive powerhouse Kraemer would make a dominant run through the RMC back line to give the Warriors their first major of the game. Park would hit the convert and the score would be narrowed to 12-10.

That was the last offence the Warriors would see as RMC went on a commanding run, scoring 26 unanswered points. The Paladins' Jackson Severin made a few fake moves before scoring his first try of the game to go to 17-10. The convert was made and RMC went into the break with a 19-10 lead.
The Paladins would not let up on their relentless offence in the second half when #22 made a strong run leading to a try/convert which pushed the score to 26-10. Two more tries and a convert would be counted for RMC before finalizing the match with a 38-10 victory over the Warriors.
RMC received tries from Aaron Barry, Maxwell Williams, Morgan Holdway (2), Thomas Rosenkranz, and Jackson Severin, while Matthew Courtney had 4 successful converts.

 Source: Waterloo Warriors


Toronto 5 @ Laurier 43


WATERLOO, Ont. (October 18, 2014) – The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's rugby team secured their first playoff berth since 2009 with a dominating 43-5 victory over the Toronto Varsity Blues on Saturday.

Hawks Andrew Thompson of Pickering, Ont., and Nathan Roberts of Waterloo, Ont., were instrumental in the sweeping victory, together earning 35 of the 43 points for the purple and gold. Thompson recorded four tries for the Hawks while Roberts had four conversions.

Also scoring for the Hawks were Colin Hall of Alliston, Ont., who had two tries, and Christopher Matsoukas of Stouffville, Ont., who finished with one.

Putting up the lone try for the Blues was Nitai Ben-Shach of Montreal, Que. With the loss, the Varsity Blues move to 0-7-0 and the Hawks move up to 3-4-0 with one game left in the regular season.

The Hawks will now head to Guelph to take on defending OUA bronze medallists, the Gryphons ,on October 24th. With a two game win streak behind them, the Hawks hope to use that momentum to give the Gryphons a tough challenge in the final game of the regular season. The game is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.

Source: Laurier Golden Hawks


Other Scores

Guelph 36 @ McMaster 12 (Sunday)