OUA Men's Hockey Roundup (Nov. 27)

Photo by Karyn Stepien
Photo by Karyn Stepien

November 21, 2017

Laurentian 2 Nipissing 6

It was a big day for the Nipissing Lakers men's hockey team, as they hosted the Laurentian Voyageurs in a rare Tuesday morning game.

The Lakers used a huge game from North Bay, ON native Brett Hargrave who led the way as Nipissing picked up a big 6-2 victory over the Vees and earn a point in the 705 Challenge Cup.

With the win, the Lakers snapped their four game losing streak and maybe more importantly, gave the team some much needed confidence as they were able to find the back of the net six times.

In the first period, the Lakers and Vees traded goals at opposite ends of the period.

Laurentian opened the scoring just 1:27 into the period on their first shot of the game and while it took over 18 minutes, the Lakers tied things up with eight seconds remaining in the period.

Erik Robichaud redirected a Colin Campbell pass to even things up.

Guillaume Naud drew the other assist on the power play marker.

From there, Nipissing took over.

The Lakers scored twice in the second period, both off the stick of Hargrave.

The goals came just a minute and a half apart late in the period as he was able to cash in on some nice puck movement both times.

Jake Wright and Naud assisted on both goals, one of which came while the Lakers were up a man.

The Lakers extended their lead just 28 seconds into the third period as Lucas Brown stole the puck at his own blueline, broke away and made no mistake, going upstairs to make it 4-1 Lakers.

Hargrave completed the hat-trick later in the period, firing a low, hard shot from the left circle that found its way through traffic and into the net.

Laurentian got one goal back with under four minutes to go, but the Lakers replied in the dying seconds.

Steve Deeg sent a shot from the blueline that eluded everyone and slid into the net to wrap up the scoring.

Matt Donnelly grabbed an assist on the final goal of the game.

Domenic Graham picked up the victory in net, turning aside 19 shots, while the Lakers peppered the Vees net, finishing with 43 shots.

Source: nulakers.ca



November 24, 2017

York 3 Carleton 2

The York University Lions men's hockey team took on the Carleton Ravens on Friday in the first game of their two-game road series in Ottawa. The Lions won 3-2 in the shootout, boosting their regular season wins into double-digits.
The Ravens took the lead early in the first period, scoring twice. Their goals came from Evan de Haan (assisted by Jared Steege) and Travis Douglas (assisted by Dalen Hedges and Josh Burnside).
Josh LaFrance was able to break through and score the Lions' first goal on a power play in the last four minutes on the period. The period ended with the Ravens leading 2-1.
Neither team scored a goal in the second period, and most of the third played out in the same way until the very end. The Lions were able to tie things up courtesy of a goal by Justin Bean in the final minute of play. This was his first goal of the regular season, and he was assisted by Colton Vannucci.
In the shootout, Trevor Petersen and Derek Sheppard scored for the Lions. Only Brett Welychka was able to score for the Ravens, and the Lions were able to skate off with a 3-2 win.
The Lions now have a 10-4 season record. They will take on the Ottawa Gee-Gees Saturday, Nov. 25 before returning to Canlan Ice Sports on Friday, Dec. 1 at 7pm to take on the Laurier Golden Hawks.

Source: yorkulions.ca



Toronto 1 UQTR 8

The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team dropped an 8-1 decision to the UQTR Patriotes on Friday, November 24 in Trois-Rivières, Que.

The Patriotes got out to an early 1-0 lead after a powerplay goal from Jason Lavallee 2:28 into the game. UQTR added two late goals to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission.

The home team extended their lead to 5-0 with back-to-back goals to open the second frame. Third-year forward Aidan Wallace got the Blues on the board midway through the second period, scoring his third goal of the season. The Patriotes were up 5-1 after 40 minutes of action.

UQTR added three goals in the third period to round out the win.

Source: varsityblues.ca



McGill 6 Waterloo 3

WATERLOO -- Sophomore Samuel Tremblay of St. Basile, Que., tallied twice as McGill rallied for a 6-3 road triumph over Waterloo in OUA men's hockey at the Columbia Ice Fields, Friday.

The victory was McGill's seven consecutive in OUA play and third straight over Waterloo. Their all-time record improved to 15-18-3 against the Warriors, including a 6-7-1 dossier on the road, since the series was initiated in 1964.

McGill, which had a lopsided 52-29 advantage in shots, led 3-1 after the opening period and 4-3 after two, then outscored the hosts 2-0 in the final stanza.

The Warriors opened the scoring when Cam Nicoll scored his first of two goals at 9:21 of the game but Tremblay quickly turned things around with an even-strength goal at 14:10 and a shorthanded marker at 16:13. And if that didn't let the air out of the home team's balloon, just 51 seconds later, Alexandre Sills, a sophomore from Amos, Que., made it 3-1.

"Tremblay was moving his feet tonight and when he does that, he's very effective," said McGill head coach Kelly Nobes of his 5-foot-11, 171-pound speedster. "He could've had three or four tonight. He's really playing well now and makes our special teams better."

Freshman Antoine Dufour-Plante of Montreal upped the count to 4-1 with a power-play goal at 14:33 of the middle stanza. It marked the sixth consecutive game that the Redmen had connected on a man-advantage situation. Over that streak, they have tallied nine PP markers after netting only three in their first nine contests. McGill's PP unit is now operating at 14.5 per cent, a significant improvement over the paltry 2.9 per cent efficiency that they held at the nine-game mark.

On the other side of the coin, the penalty-killing unit continues to shine, snuffing out both Waterloo opportunities and rubbing salt in the wound with their nation-leading sixth shorthanded tally. The McGill PK unit has killed off 21 consecutive manpower situations and now ranks fourth in the OUA with a lofty 89.2 per cent success rate.

Waterloo narrowed the gap to 4-3 when Cole Murphy and the aforementioned Nicoll scored two late second-period goals, just 73 seconds apart. But McGill owned the final period with goals from third-year defenceman Dominic Talbot-Tassi (his fifth) of Mascouche, Que., and Guillaume Gauthier (4th), a sophomore from Drummondville, Que.

Second-year goaltender Louis-Philip Guindon of St. Joseph du Lac, Que., turned aside 26 of 29 shots for his league leading 11th win in 13 decisions. He ranks third among the league's goalies with a 2.08 goals-against average, to go along with a save percentage of .927. Waterloo starter Mike Morrison made 46 saves, any of them spectacular, in a losing cause as his record tumbled to 4-4.

The Warriors dropped to eighth place in the 10-team OUA West with a 5-6-2 record. They will host Concordia (9-2-2) on Saturday. The Stingers are coming off a 3-1 decision against the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks.

McGill now leads the OUA East with a 13-2 record and sits five points ahead of second-place UQTR (9-2-3), which holds a game in hand. The Redmen will remain in Waterloo for one more day to conclude their two-game road trip to southern Ontario with a match-up against Laurier, which sits third in the OUA West with an 8-3-2 record.

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



Western 4 RMC 5

KINGSTON, Ont. – It was about as closely-contested a game that the Mustangs have played all year, but unfortunately the Mustangs came away on the wrong end of a 5-4 overtime loss against the RMC Paladins at Constantine Arena on Friday night.
During a wild, open 3-on-3 overtime period, Riley Brandt broke free from a defender at mid-ice and converted a breakaway goal, unassisted, beating Western goaltender Brendan McGlynn at the 3:31 mark of the extra frame to secure the win.
It was a disappointing loss for the Mustangs, their sixth straight, as they appeared poised to snap their losing skid late into the third period. In fact, they were only six seconds short. Trailing 4-3 late in the third, RMC, with their goalie pulled, managed to tie things up when Cameron Lamport notched his second score of the period.
The win was the Paladins' fourth in their last five games, improving their record to 4-8-2 on the season. With the loss, the Mustangs fall to 3-8-2, as they remain at the bottom of the OUA's West Division standings.
RMC got on the scoreboard first Friday night, as Bruce Hornbrook took a pass in the slot and delivered home his fourth goal of the season to put the Paladins ahead 1-0 just 1:47 into the game. The Mustangs responded, less than five minutes later, as Trevor Warnaar knocked home a one-timer on the power play to knot things up at one goal apiece.
The Paladins started the scoring again in the second, as Hornbrook notched his second of the game at the 7:50 mark to give RMC a 2-1 lead. But then the Mustangs owned the scoresheet for the next 20 minutes. Just 46 seconds after going down 2-1, Western's Spenser Cobbold scored to even things at 2-2. Then, with just over six minutes left in the second period, Cordell James gave the Mustangs their first lead of the contest with a power play goal to make it 3-2.
Warnaar struck again in the third for his second goal of the game (and sixth of the season) at the 7:46 mark to put Western up 4-2. It was a lead that they held until the 16:31 mark, when Lamport scored his first of two third-period goals. The second, with just six seconds remaining in the game, was the backbreaker, and it sent the Paladins into overtime with the momentum. Brandt finished things off with his breakaway marker for the win.
Steven Beyers and Ray Huether had two assists apiece for the Mustangs during Friday's contest, while RMC's Nicholas Bissonnette also assisted on a pair of goals. McGlynn made 33 saves on the night, while his counterpart, Daniel Vautour, turned away 28 shots.

Source: westernmustangs.ca



Concordia 3 Laurier 1

WATERLOO, Ont. (November 25, 2017) – The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's hockey team had their four-game point streak snapped on Friday night as they lost 3-1 to the Concordia Stingers at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex.

With both teams entering the game sporting identifcal records, it was the Stingers (9-2-2) who got off to a quick start. First period goals from Phillippe Sanche (Mercier, Que.), Jean-Sebastien Taillefer (Les Coteaux, Que.) and Dominic Beauchemin (Longueuil, Que.) gave the Stingers a 3-0 lead, chasing Laurier starter Chris Festarini (Oakville, Ont.) from the net.

The Hawks (8-3-2) picked up their play in the second period and were able to pull a goal back as Trevor Sauder(Tavistock, Ont.) scored a solid backhanded goal off of a feed from Matt Dupont (Toronto, Ont.). 

Needing a pair of goals to tie the game in the third, Laurier could only muster seven shots on goal as they lost for the third time in regulation this season.

After Festarini allowed three goals on seven shots, his replacement Colin Furlong (Cambridge, Ont.) was outstanding the rest of the way, stopping all 19 shots he faced to give the Hawks a chance to come back.

On the other side of the ice, Concordia’s goalie Marc-Antoine Turcotte (Chateauguay, Que.) turned aside 23 of the 24 shots thrown his way to pick up the win.

With the loss, the Hawks fall to third in the OUA West standings with 18 points. On the contrary, the Stingers maintained their third place ranking in the OUA East keeping pace with McGill and UQTR.

Source: laurierathletics.com



Ryerson 3 Ottawa 4

OTTAWA – In what can easily be billed as the most intense game of the season thus far, the Rams efforts simply weren’t enough as they lost 4-3 to the hosting University of Ottawa Gee-Gees in a shootout on Friday night.

As was to be expected from the OUA leaders in shots per game, the Gee-Gees opened up the first period with an offensive flurry to try and keep the Rams at bay.  Throughout the first twenty minutes of play, the Gee-Gees outshot the Rams 22-18, and occupied the Ryerson zone for long stretches of the first twenty minutes.  Unfortunately for the home team, however, their defensive efforts, much like in previous contests, were not at the same level as their offensive intensity.  The Rams would capitalize upon this fact throughout the game.

In fact, it would be the visiting squad from Ryerson that would open up the scoring in the first.  Tapping in a rebound off of an initial Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) shot attempt, forward John Carpino (Maple, Ont.) put the Rams up 1-0 six minutes into the first.

Unfortunately for the Rams, however, at least one of the many shot attempts taken by the Gee-Gees would find the twine of goalkeeper Taylor Dupuis’ (New Liskeard, Ont.) net.  Three minutes after the goal by Carpino, Ottawa forward Connor Sills (Thundery Bay, Ont.) tucked away a backhand from just outside the blue ice to tie up the game at 1-1.  

In typical Rams fashion, however, they were not about to go into the locker room after the first period tied-up.  With less than two minutes left to play in the period, Rams captain Alex Basso (Toronto, Ont.) rocketed in his fourth goal of the season to give the Rams a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.

As play continued in the second period, it seemed as though the Rams defensive line had not come out prepared to play.  Yet again, the Gee-Gees dominated the pace of offensive play throughout the period, outshooting the Rams 18-15 during the second.  Additionally, the two goals acquired by Ottawa during the period, provided by Marc Beckstead (Ottawa, Ont.) and Kevin Domingue (Laval, Que.) were virtually uncontested defensively.  Just as seemed that the home team would be able to head into the final period up 3-2, Rams freshman forward Steven Harland (Toronto, Ont.) tucked in a rebound off of a Basso shot attempt, to tie the game up at 3-3 heading into the final twenty minutes.

With the tension of a tied-up scoreboard hanging over the heads of both teams, the third period turned into a rather ugly one, riddled with elements of unsportsmanlike conduct.  While the two teams remained scoreless at the end of the period, the Rams dominated the ice offensively, outshooting the home team 14-7, and swarming them with fast-paced zone rushes and quick passing.  Unfortunately for the Rams, however, they were given a scare during the period, as key forward Marcus Hinds (Toronto, Ont.) was checked from behind, leaving sprawled on the ice for several minutes.  Thankful for Ryerson, Hinds was able to make a recovery and play through the rest of the game.

With the score still tied at 3-3, the two teams required overtime to settle the conflict.  The extra five minutes, however, felt like as though they were the longest five-minutes of the entire game.  In the opening minutes of the period, all-star Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) was sent to the penalty box for slashing, leaving Ottawa with the man advantage.  To make matters even worse for the Rams, Alex Leader (Aurora, Ont.) was taken off of the ice after taking a puck to the face, and captain Alex Basso was ejected following a questionable check upon a Gee-Gees forward.  Thankfully, in spite of that occurring during the five minutes of overtime, nothing had materialized in the form of a goal for Ottawa.

As a result, a shootout was required to settle this intense contest.  Unfortunately, this particular shootout did not go the way of recent shootouts for the Rams, as they fell to the Gee-Gees following two goals by Connor Sills (Thunder Bay, Ont.) and Kevin Domingue (Laval, Que.).  The Rams concluded the evening with a 4-3 loss, which this reporter imagines, left a rather bitter taste in the mouths of the Ryerson bench.

Source: ryersonrams.ca



Laurentian 5 Guelph 9

GUELPH – The Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team can score with the best of them. And the Gryphons flexed their offensive muscles Friday night on home ice. Marc Stevens led the way with four goals to lift Guelph to a wild 9-5 victory over the Laurentian Voyageurs for the team's seventh consecutive win.

Stevens scored his first of the night at 15:38 of the first period on the power play to get the Gryphons on the board after going down 2-0 early. The second-year winger from Turkey Point, ON, who played his junior hockey with the Guelph Storm, gave the hosts their first lead 1:46 into the second period before completing the hat-trick at 16:27 of the second, making the score 5-3. Stevens would add an empty netter late for his team-best 10th goal of the season.

Guelph leads the OUA West with 57 goals.

"We're happy with the win and we're happy with the offence," said head coach Shawn Camp. "But we'll have to tidy up the D."

Camp was impressed with Stevens, who registered his second hat-trick of the season. He also had three in Guelph's 4-1 win over the Toronto Varsity Blues on Aggies Night earlier this month.

"The puck followed him tonight," the coach said. "He got full value for those goals. Marc goes to the net really well and he was rewarded."

It was a huge night on the scoresheet for several Guelph players. Marc's brother Michael Stevens had a goal and two assists, as did captain Scott Simmonds, the reigning Gryphon Male Athlete of the Week. Todd WinderTrevor Morbeck and Zach McFadden each had a goal, while Reilly O'Connor chipped in three assists. Mark Raycroft and Patrick Kudla added two helpers each.

Andrew Masters got the start in between the pipes and made 24 saves for the win.

While the final result suggested a fun night at the office for the Gryphons, there weren't too many laughs early. Brent Pedersen made it 1-0 Laurentian just 3:52 into the game and Xavier Couture tallied on a power play at 14:06 for a surprise 2-0 lead. But Guelph, thanks to both of the Stevens boys, snatched the momentum back. Marc replied to the second Voyageurs' goal just 92 seconds later and Michael made it 2-2 less than two minutes after his brother got the Gryphons started. Marc scored his second of the night early in the second period to give Guelph a 3-2 lead. But Luke McCaw kept the plucky visitors in it temporarily with a goal at 3:52 of the period. 

That was as close as the Laurentian would get as Guelph pumped in four consecutive goals, including the eventual game-winner from McFadden at 3:50 of the third period.

"Laurentian worked really hard," said Camp. "That's the way they play every night."

Guelph's seven-game win streak is the longest in the OUA at the moment, equaling the run that the McGill Redmen are currently on. The Gryphons sit second in the OUA West with 19 points (9-3-1), just one point behind first-place York (10-4-0), though the Lions have played one more game.

"We're ahead of schedule," Camp said with a smile. "We're typically a second-half kind of team."

Camp said it was good that the Gryphons will get back on the ice Saturday to host the Nipissing Lakers for the annual Hockey Day in Gryphonville game. It will be an opportunity to tighten up their defensive game, which he said will fall on both the goaltenders and skaters.

"It'll be fresh in everyone's minds," Camp said of the five goals allowed to the Voyageurs.

Source: gryphons.ca



Windsor 2 Queen’s 4

KINGSTON, Ont. (November 24, 2017) – In a highly spirited, energetic game on Friday night, the Queen's Gaels (7-3-3) came out with a 4-2 triumph over the Windsor Lancers (5-5-3). Despite outshooting the Lancers 47-28, the Gaels spent most of the game trying to solve Lancers goalie Jonathan Reinhart. They were able to break through for two goals in the third period on the way to victory.
The first period saw lots of action on both ends as Queen's won the shot battle 13-10. They were able to capitalize for the game's first goal at 7:41 when Darcy Greenaway (Wilton, Ont.) notched his seventh goal of the season from Spencer Abraham (Campbellville, Ont.) and Luke Edwards (Kingston, Ont.). The Gaels would take the 1-0 lead into the second period.
Queen's would be short handed to begin the second period and it would cost them. The Lancers were able to bury a power play marker at 3:13 to tie the game 1-1. Bad luck bit the Gaels later in the period as a dump in attempt from the Lancers would take a crazy bounce behind the Queen's net and land right on the stick of Eric Palazzolo, who made no mistake and gave Windsor a 2-1 lead. The Gaels pushed back hard and dominated play before tying the game at 10:40 on an Eric Margo (North Vancouver, B.C.) goal. Margo used Alex Row (Elizabethtown, Ont.) as a decoy on a 2 on 1 before sliding the puck five hole to tie the game 2-2 heading into the third period.
The turning point of the third period came when Gaels goaltender Jacob Brennan (Halifax, N.S.) made an absolutely ridiculous save while lying on his back to keep the game deadlocked at 2 with just over thirteen minutes remaining. Greenaway would finish off a beautiful pass from Edwards moments later to give the Gaels the lead back for good. Ben Fanjoy gave the Gaels some insurance at 14:55 when he wristed one past Reinhart to make it 4-2, which would end up as the final score.
Brennan picked up the win in net for the Gaels, making 26 saves while Reinhart would take the loss in net for the Lancers, registering 43 saves of his own.

Source: gogaelsgo.com



Other Scores:

Nipissing 1 Brock 2

Lakehead 1 UOIT 3



November 25, 2017

Toronto 2 UQTR 5

The University of Toronto Varsity Blues men's hockey team ended their four-game road swing with a 5-2 loss to the No. 10 UQTR Patriotes on Saturday afternoon (Nov. 25).

The loss knocks the Blues record down to 4-9-1 (W-L-OTL), while the Patriotes improve to 10-2-3 on the season.

The physicality between the two teams continued from the previous evening as both looked to find an edge early. Toronto was first to take advantage, with second-year forward Curtis Harvey scoring the opening goal of the game just past the six minute mark in the first. The goal marked the first of the season for Harvey.

The Patriotes drew equal a minute later with Christophe Boivin scoring his first of three on the night. 

With the two squads at a stalemate late into the second period, U of T  found themselves in penalty trouble amassing over 20 minutes of penalties in the second frame. Nearly escaping the period with the 1-1 score intact, UQTR finally solved Varsity Blues goaltender Frederic Foulem with under two minutes left, utilizing a five-on-three man advantage. The Varsity Blues ended the night with 41 minutes in the box from 11 penalties.

Boivin added his final of the night on another powerplay early in the third, rounding out the hat-trick performance for the Patriotes.

U of T made things interesting in the closing minutes courtesy a powerplay goal of their own from Aidan Wallace, however, it was not enough to overcome as UQTR added two empty-net goals to end the afternoon affair.

Despite facing the UQTR powerplay throughout the night, Foulem ended the evening with a solid 20 save performance. UQTR goalie Alexandre Belanger registered 24.

Source: varsityblues.ca



Nipissing 4 Guelph 8

GUELPH – The Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team have looked like a collegiate version of the '80s era Edmonton Oilers. And Guelph's recent brand of firewagon hockey was on display again Saturday afternoon at the Gryphon Centre Arena. The scorching-hot team filled the net for the second straight game, defeating the Nipissing Lakers 8-4 on the 10th annual Hockey Day in Gryphonville.
The dominant performance ran the Gryphons' current win streak to eight games. Guelph (10-3-1, first place in the OUA West) now has 17 goals in less than 24 hours after defeating Laurentian 9-5 Friday.
Several former Gryphon Jack Pos MVP Award winners were in attendance for the special date on the calendar. The group, which was set to be recognized later in the evening at a Hockey Day in Gryphonville dinner held on campus, was treated to another fun one as Guelph began to score goals in bunches.
And there was no doubt that the current crop of Gryphons would try and perform for them despite playing Friday night. Head coach Shawn Camp was impressed with the energy and felt his players really moved their feet well in an important game after a quick turnaround. 

"It's an honour to play in front of our alumni," said Camp, who is well versed in the program's history. "Our guys really appreciate the work of the Gryphons that came before them. The best part is that they get it."
Captain Scott Simmondsscored two goals with an assist, while Trevor Morbeckand Ryan Migliaccio also found the net twice. Todd Winder and Michael Stevenseach had a goal, with Marc StevensJ.P. Villeneuve, and defencemen Josh McFadden and Patrick Kudla each picking up a pair of assists.
Jason Da Silva had tons of goal support but he made a few great saves among his 22 stops.
The Gryphons struck quickly and often. Morbeck got things started when he took a feed from Seth Swenson and flipped a nice backhander up high over Nipissing goaltender Brent Moran at 14:26 of the first period. Lakers' forward Danny Desrochers equalized on a Nipissing power play soon after but Winder replied 1:34 later to give the Gryphons a lead they would not relinquish.
Guelph really pushed the pace in the second period with Simmonds registering his first of the night on the power play just 13 seconds in. After Erik Robichaud beat Da Silva to get Nipissing within a goal, the Gryphons exploded for score five unanswered, including four goals from Simmonds, Migliaccio, Stevens and Morbeck in a span of three minutes and 16 seconds in the second period. 

Moran was replaced by Domenic Graham to start the third and the hosts beat the newcomer once in the final 20 minutes when Migliaccio notched his second, and Guelph's eighth of the day, at the 9:32 mark. Camp was less than pleased with the Gryphons' defensive effort against Laurentian but it was better Saturday, despite allowing a couple third-period consolation goals to the Lakers.
Guelph has outscored opponents 44-21 in the eight-game win streak. The Gryphons also lead the entire OUA with 65 goals in 14 games.
"We've always been a pretty offensive team but the last few weeks, pucks have been bouncing our way and going in," Camp said. "We want to keep being responsible defensively and create our offence the right way. It's a fun game to play.

"It was a real good weekend. The guys showed how offensive they can be. When you move the puck, you create scoring chances."

Source: gryphons.ca



Laurentian 1 Brock 4

The Brock University men's hockey team defeated the Laurentian Voyageurs by the score of 4-1 Saturday afternoon at the Seymour-Hannah Centre.

Laurentian opened the scoring 12:50 into the opening period as Tyler Shaw setup Brent Pederson for his fourth goal of the season.

Brock evened the score 1-1 just 1:05 into the second period as Sammy Banga and Brandon O'Quinn found Connor Brown who buried it past Laurentian starter Gunner Rivers. Brock would take a 2-1 lead at 8:44 as Brown recorded his second goal of the game with a power play marker. Chris Maniccia and Matt MacLeodadded the assists. With just over six minutes left in the second, the Badgers added another as Brown and O'Quinn setup Banga for his sixth goal of the campaign.

In the third, Brock would add an insurance marker as Ayden MacDonald and Josh Timpano setup Nate Looysen for his first regular season goal.

In goal, Brock starter Clint Windsor recorded 28 saves for the victory. The Voyageurs Rivers collected 39 saves in the loss.

With 28 saves today, Windsor is now just 14 saves away from becoming the second Brock goaltender to record 2,000 career saves. With two wins this weekend, Windsor now has 28 career victories as he closes in on Matt Harpwood (29 - 3rd), and Kurt Kory (30 - 2nd) for second and third all-time in career victories.

Source: gobadgers.ca



Windsor 3 RMC 4

The Lancer men's hockey team lost a pair of road games over the weekend in Kingston. Windsor fell 4-2 to the Queen's Gaels Friday night and 4-3 to the RMC Paladins on Saturday in a shootout.
Heading into their final weekend of competition before the holiday break, the Lancers are 5-5-4 and in fifth place in the west division standings.

After a scoreless first period, the red light was busy in the second as the teams traded five goals back and forth in the middle frame. Ian Parker and Ben Assad would score for the Lancers, but the Paladins would head into the third period up by one, 3-2.
In the final frame, Ryan Shaw beat Paladins goaltender Austin Hannaford to tie the game with thirteen minutes to go in the period. Neither team was able to find the back of the net in regulation, nor in the overtime period, so the game headed to a shootout, where the host Paladins scored on their second shooter to take the win.

Source: golancers.ca



Ryerson 5 Carleton 3

OTTAWA, Ont. – The Rams were able to finish off their Ottawa road trip with three of a possible four points, as they took down the Carleton Ravens 5-3 at the Carleton Ice House on Saturday night.

Unlike the contest against the University of Ottawa on Friday night, this game was dominated by the Rams right from the get go.  The Rams outshot the Ravens 8-5 throughout the first period of play, and the team’s defensive effort was of its best this season.  All this combined to force the home team to play a game of catch-up throughout the evening. 

Six minutes into the contest, Rams all-star Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) would rocket home his 12th goal of the season to give Ryerson a 1-0 lead early on in the first.  For the next 10 minutes of the period, the Rams would combine consistent offensive pressure and some expert goalkeeping from netminder Taylor Dupuis (New Liskeard, Ont.), to keep the usually collected Ravens from evening up the score.  The effort would payoff, as Rams forward David Miller (Burlington, Ont.) would tuck in his first goal of the season to give Ryerson a 2-0 advantage in the final moments of the first.

Unfortunately for the Rams, however, the Ravens were not prepared to head scoreless into the locker room.  Just 12 seconds after the goal by Miller, Ravens freshman forward Jared Steege (Cobden, Ont.) would provide his 11th goal of the season to put Carleton on the scoreboard heading into the first intermission.

Heading back into the action, the Rams were seeking to put this contest away before the third period.  Ryerson swarmed the Carleton line-up offensively, outshooting the Ravens 14-6 throughout the second period, and maintained a rather solid defense to try and keep the home team at bay.

Seven minutes into the period, veteran Carleton forward Alexandre Boivin (Ottawa, Ont.) would tie up the scoreboard on a shorthanded goal. However, captain Alex Basso (Toronto, Ont.) was able to capitalize upon an opening in the Ravens zone formation to acquire his fifth goal of the season, and put the Rams up 3-2 heading into the final period of action.

In the third, Ravens forward Evan de Haan (Ottawa, Ont.) fired a shot from centre ice, catching Dupuis off-guard, putting home Carleton’s third goal of the night.

It was at this point for the Ravens, unfortunately, that their luck would run out.  The Rams re-took control of the pace-of-play for the game, and occupied the Ravens zone for long stretches of the final eight minutes of play.  The fate of the home team was eventually sealed when Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) forced in an empty-netter to provide his second goal of the contest, making the final 5-3. 

Source: ryersonrams.ca



York 3 Ottawa 4

The Gee-Gees men’s hockey team won their fourth consecutive game with a 4-3 shootout victory over the nationally seventh-ranked York Lions on Saturday night at the Minto Sports Complex.

“A win is a win. But not our most complete game in a while. Sometimes you need to tip your hat to the other team, they played well,” said Gee-Gees head coach Patrick Grandmaître following the game. “At times we were the better team, at times they were the better team. I think it was deserving to go to overtime. Big two points again against a really good team.”

Médric Mercier got his team out to an early lead in the first period as an attempted pass was deflected off of a Lion into the net.

The second period featured an offensive onslaught as both teams peppered the opposing goaltenders with shots. Ottawa quickly expanded their lead with a pair of goals in just under two minutes from Brendan Jacome and Eric Locke. The Gee-Gees would maintain the three goal lead until York responded with a quick pair of their own, scoring two goals in the span of 1:11 to cut the Gee-Gee lead to one.

York managed to tie up the game early in the third, and despite the Gee-Gees' quickened pace, York goaltender Alex Fotinos made several key saves to keep the game tied at the conclusion of regulation.

The game marked the third consecutive time the Gee-Gees have wound up in overtime, their fourth in the past five games. Ottawa was able to generate some chances, including a two men breakaway, but we’re unable to bury the puck. Gee-Gees goalie Anthony Brodeur made several stops to keep his team in the game and send it to a shootout.

Connor Sills opened the scoring with his second shootout goal in as many nights. Brodeur stopped all three shooters he faced to clinch the win for Ottawa, Stills’ goal being the lone difference-maker.

“[Marco] Azzano and [Mitchell] Gibson, they don’t get to play much, but they played really well. Brodeur, he’s bounced back with two good starts his past two, so really happy for him,” said Grandmaître. “The team’s going well, we have to keep it going.”

Source: geegees.ca



Western 4 Queen’s 1

KINGSTON, Ont. – The Mustangs rode a three-goal first period Saturday night to a big 4-1 win over the Queen's Gaels at Kingston Memorial Centre, in the process snapping their six-game losing streak.
Just 24 hours after dropping a heartbreaking 5-4 overtime loss against the RMC Paladins Friday night, the Mustangs got back in the win column Saturday, and it came against a strong opponent. The Gaels entered the game with a 7-3-3 record, putting them in the middle of the pack in a tough OUA East Divison. With the win, Western improved to 4-8-2 and moved up the standings of the OUA West Division.
It took less than two minutes for the Mustangs to open the scoring Saturday night, as Steven Beyers notched his third goal of the season, unassisted, at the 1:54 mark. The Gaels responded four minutes later, as Warren Steele drilled home a power play marker at 5:53. Assists went to Ryan Bloom and Slater Doggett.
Fresh off a two-goal game Friday night, Trevor Warnaar continued his scoring ways with his seventh of the year, on the power play, at the 8:49 mark of the first period (Beyers and Matt Watson were credited with assists). The fourth-year Engineering student then scored again with just over a minute left – again on the power play (with helpers from Beyers and Cordell James). And despite being outshot 16-8, Western took a 3-1 lead into the intermission.
The story for much of the rest of the game was the strong play of Western goaltender Brendan McGlynn, who made 39 saves on the night, as he turned away chance after chance by the Gaels in the second and third periods.
Western's 3-1 lead held up all the way until the waning moments of the game. Then, with Queen's goaltender Jacob Brennan pulled in the late-going, Warnaar earned a hat trick with an empty-netter (his ninth goal of the year) to give Western the 4-1 win with assists going to James and Chris Corbeil.
Queen's outshot Western 40-25 overall, including 14-9 in the final period. But McGlynn was too much for the home team, as he snapped the Gaels' three-game win streak and dropped the team's record to 7-4-3.

Source: westernmustangs.ca



Lakehead 1 UOIT 3

OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT men's hockey team took on the Lakehead Thunderwolves this weekend in a pair of back-to-back games. The Ridgebacks were able to come away with all four points from the series, winning the second game 3-1 on Saturday night.
Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.) had himself a game, scoring two of the three Ridgebacks goals. This would mark his eighth game in a row where he has gotten at least one point, and when asked about it he was nothing but humble.
"It's obviously nice to put up points but it's better to get the win as a team," said Robinson. "I'm just happy that the boys are rolling right now, it's really good for us."

Robinson was able to score on the Ridgebacks power play midway through the first period, giving the team some momentum. He then scored again with just 44 seconds left in the first period, giving the Ridgebacks the 2-0 lead early on.
Heading into the second period Lakehead was able to score a goal just two minutes in when Patrick Murphy sniped one top shelf. UOIT answered with a slapshot goal from the blueline by Alex Yuill (Wellington, Ont.), which gave them the 3-1 lead that the Thunderwolves were unable to recover from.
Ridgebacks goaltender Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.) helped the Ridgebacks maintain their lead throughout the game making a total of 23 saves on the night.
Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.) has also been on a bit of a hot streak himself, earning at least one point in his last five games. Blasko picked up two points in Saturday night's game getting an assist on Robinson's second goal and another assist on Yuill's goal.
Saturday night's win for the Ridgebacks has now increased their win streak to six.
"Every win is important to us and we want to keep rolling into our next two games and hopefully pick up another four points before the holidays," said Robinson.
UOIT (8-5-1) jumps into a tie for fifth place with the Queen's Gaels (7-4-3), as the pair sits on point back of the Carleton Ravens (8-4-2).
The Ridgebacks will take on the second place UQTR Patriotes on home ice in another back-to-back series next weekend. The first game is set to take place December 1 at 7:30 p.m. and the second game is set for December 2 at 3:30 p.m.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



McGill 2 Laurier 5

WATERLOO, Ont. (November 25, 2017) - Fourth year forward Andrew Fritsch scored the game-winning goal and added an assist to lead the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team to a 5-2 victory over the No. 5 McGill Redmen on Saturday night at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex.

Tied at two through two periods of play, Fritsch, a native of Brantford, Ont., broke the deadlock early in the third period with his third goal of the season. He fired a quick wrist shot from the slot that beat McGill goalie Louis-Philip Guindon of St. Joseph du Lac, Que., on the glove-hand side to give Laurier a 3-2 lead.

Neil Aird of Ancaster, Ont., and Will Cook of Port Stanley, Ont., into an empty net, added insurance markers later in the third period to improve Laurier’s record to 9-3-2 on the year.

The Hawks actually trailed twice in the contest as they fell behind 1-0 and 2-1 in the opening period. However, Laurier didn’t allow the nationally-ranked Redmen to pull away as Brandon Robinson of Pickering, Ont., and Christian Mroczkowski of Kitchener, Ont., countered each time for the purple and gold.

Antoine Dufort-Plante of Montreal, and Guillaume Gauthier of Drummondville, Que., tallied for the Redmen who lost just their third game of the season, falling to 13-3-0 on the year.

One night after coming on in relief for the Golden Hawks, goaltender Colin Furlong of Cambridge, Ont., picked up his fourth win of the season as he stopped 28 shots. The performance leaves him ranked fifth in the conference in goals against average at 2.17 and sixth in save percentage at 0.929.

Guindon took the loss for the Redmen, allowing four goals on 32 shots.

Source: laurierathletics.com



Other Scores:

Concordia 6 Waterloo 1