OUA Men's Hockey Roundup (Nov. 20)

Photo by Brock Badgers
Photo by Brock Badgers

November 15, 2017

Waterloo 4 Ryerson 6

TORONTO — Kyle Tibbo (Conception Bay South, Nfld.) and Jared Walsh (Toronto, Ont.) recorded their first goals as Ryerson Rams in an offensively-charged Wednesday night of OUA men's hockey.

It took just two minutes into the evening's opening period for Devon Paliani (LaSalle, Ont.) to break open the scoring. Tibbo would follow suit just five minutes later, putting the Rams up two before everyone had even found their seat. In the dying minutes of the period the Warriors would finally beat Taylor Dupuis (New Liskeard, Ont.) to keep it close heading into the intermission.

Whatever Coach Duco had to say at the break clearly fired the boys up, as John Carpino (Maple, Ont.) was quick to open the scoring, just 78 seconds into the second frame. Not to be outdone by his fellow freshman Kyle Tibbo, Jared Walsh was also quick to follow up on the period's opening goal, potting his first in the OUA a mere three minutes later.

With Ryerson up 4-1 midway through the game, Waterloo would finally cut into the momentum as Phillip Fife (Oromocto, N.B.) scored on the power play followed almost instantaneously by Nick Halagian (St. Catharines, Ont.) just 19 seconds later. Suddenly, the lead was down to one.

Despite neither team's power play firing efficiently tonight — the two clubs combined to go just 2-for-11 on the man advantage — Alex Basso's (Toronto, Ont.) goal, as Dupuis eluded to, was ultimately the difference maker for the Rams on the night.It was the type of goal and the type of performance you'd expect from the man with the 'C' stitched on his chest, and once again he led by example.

The Warriors tried to make one final push late in the chippy third period, but the impact of Joey Champigny's (East Angus, Que.) goal for the Yellow and Black was not enough, as Dupuis stood tall when it mattered most.

Paliani would add one final goal with literally one-tenth of a second left on the clock, that meant nothing than another goal in the OUA record books.

Source: ryersonrams.ca



November 17, 2017

York 4 Waterloo 6

With five minutes remaining in their heated contest on Friday night, it looked like the York Lions and Waterloo Warriors had spent all their fireworks already.

It was headed for a familiar, frustrating script. The Lions, ranked seventh nationally, would ride their stalwart defence and solid goaltending to another one-goal win, adding two more points to their OUA West division-leading total. And it was a shame, too, because the first 55 minutes had it all: beautiful goals. Big saves. Thunderous checks. Multiple lead changes. There were even some verbal explosives, which led to the ejections of two-thirds of Waterloo's top line. However, under the pressures of the Lions' defence, and trailing 4-3 as the clock ticked down, it looked as though the game would end with a whimper.

But every fireworks show has the big finale. This one was ignited by Phillip Fife (Oromocto/).

Fife's goal-of-the-year candidate tied the game late in the third, and Eric Diodati (Niagara Falls/) scored just 2:49 later, as the Warriors clawed form behind for a 6-4 victory over the defending Queen's Cup Champion Lions at the Columbia Icefield Arena.

Daniel Perigo (Truro/) chipped in with a goal and two assists for the hosts, who claimed their most emotional and gutsy win of the season. Nick Halagian (St. Catharines/) notched a goal and an assist, while Cam Nicoll (Loretto/) added two helpers for Waterloo, who improved to 5-5-2 on the season. Michael Morgan (Scarborough/) and Zac Coulter (Owen Sound/) also scored for the Warriors, while Mike Morrison (Hamilton/) made 28 saves – many of the highlight-reel variety – to earn the victory.

Colton Vanucci led the way for York with a goal and an assist. Josh Lafrance, Reid Jackman, and Stefano Pezzetta also scored for the Lions, who saw their record fall to 9-3-0. Despite allowing five goals, Alex Fotinos was excellent in the York crease, turning aside 31 shots.

The Lions used their special teams to jump to a lead in the first period, when Lafrance converted on a two-man advantage after his team had killed an early penalty of their own. But with another York power play the period's final minute, the Warriors pushed back - off a Nicoll defensive zone faceoff win, a clearing attempt off the glass by Ryan Hanes (Kanata/) ended up springing Morgan on a short-handed breakaway. The second-year forward made no mistake, and the Warriors drew even at 1-1 with 27 ticks left in the frame.

But the momentum shift was short-lived, because the Lions power play generated one more chance as time dwindled in the first. It resulted in a loose puck off a rebound in front, and Jackman pounded it home at 19:59 to make the score 2-1 after the opening stanza.

The Warriors rebounded in the second, stealing back the momentum and the lead. First, Morrison made a pair of tremendous saves on another York 5-on-3 advantage, and then, the patience of Perigo was rewarded on an odd-man rush when his partially blocked shot bounced right to Halagian with a wide-open cage, making it 2-2. Just 1:15 later, the Waterloo power play struck when Micheal Siddall found Coulter with a beautiful pass from behind the goal line, giving Waterloo their first lead of the game at 3-2.

The Warriors had a golden opportunity to extend their advantage when they went on a 5-on-3 power play for 1:31 later in the second. But Fotinos and the league's best penalty kill held the fort, then immediately struck for the equalizer. Just five seconds after the last York penalty expired, Vanucci caught a shoulder-high pass in stride, dropped it on his stick, and beat Morrison with a bar-down wrister to make it 3-3.

And before the period was over, the Lions would reclaim the lead when Pezzetta settled in a weak spot of the Warriors defensive zone coverage, and converted a Morgan Messenger feed to give York a 4-3 lead after 40 minutes.

Both teams had colorfully protested several calls – or, in some cases, non-calls – to the officials throughout the second period, and those frustrations finally boiled over in the third. Just under two minutes in, Warriors leading scorer Keigan Goetz (New Hamburg/) was assessed a 10-minute misconduct and then a game misconduct for his exchange with an official after no arm went up when he was driven hard into the end boards.

Then, just 44 seconds into a Vanucci double-minor for spearing, Waterloo's Markson Bechtold (Strathmore/) unloaded on the officials when he was whistled for a roughing penalty. Bechtold was also assessed a 10-minute misconduct, followed by a game misconduct and a gross misconduct penalty, leaving the hosts without two of their top three point-getters for the rest of the night.

Down to 10 forwards and trailing one of the country's best defensive clubs, things looked bleak for the Warriors. But Fife reignited the crowd with a tremendous solo effort: he gathered the puck at the York blue line, made a quick move, and then split two Lions defenders to get in alone on Fotinos. Fife made no mistake on the high blocker side finish, and suddenly, then Warriors had found their equalizer with under 5 minutes to play.

Immediately after the tying marker, Diodati encouraged his bench to calm down and stay composed. Then, with two minutes left in regulation, the veteran rearguard rewarded his teammates for heeding his message.

The play was catalyzed by captain Mike Moffat (Waterloo/), who had moved up from the blue line to play forward after the two ejections. The tenacious forecheck and nifty stickwork of Moffat kept it in the York zone, and some quick puck movement from Nicoll and Perigo created room for Diodati to jump in and slide home a shot on a down-low odd-man play, giving Waterloo an improbable 5-4 advantage.

The Lions yanked Fotinos for the extra attacker, but Waterloo's defenders threw themselves in front of the York shooting barrage to maintain the lead. Perigo was able to salt the game away with an empty-netter, ensuring the 6-4 victory for Waterloo.

The Warriors will now wrap up their home portion of the 2017 calendar year with a pair of games against OUA East powerhouses next weekend. Waterloo will welcome in the McGill Redmen on Friday, November 24, before hosting the Concordia Stingers on Saturday, November 25.

Source: athletics.uwaterloo.ca



Toronto 2 Lakehead 3

It was another wild finish with Daniel Del Paggio potting his fifth game-winning goal of the season as the Lakehead Thunderwolves edged the Toronto Varsity Blues 3-2 in overtime before a crowd of 1,884 at the Fort William Gardens on Friday night.

Lakehead went up early when Scott Gall finished off a scrum in front of the Toronto net just 1:22 in the contest, with Dylan Butler and Jake Ringuette getting the assists.

Scott Kirton got the Varsity Blues on the scoresheet when he beat Wolves' goalie Devin Green at the 7:52 mark.

Billy Jenkins put Lakehead up 2-1 when he fired home Austin McDonald's rebound off the end boards into the back of the net at 11:21, with Tyler Anton getting the other helper.

Aidan Wallace tipped the puck behind Green to knot the score at 2-2 with less than three minutes remaining in the first, and at that point it looked like the game was going to be a high-scoring affair.

That turned out not to be the case, as both teams were held scoreless for the rest of regulation time. Del Paggio missed a breakaway chance in the middle frame, and Devin Green came up with a big save on Luca Leone late in the third to force the game into extra time.

After some back-and-forth in the overtime session, Del Paggio found himself alone in front of the Toronto goal after some great work by Patrick Murphy and Billy Jenkins, and he made no mistake going top shelf at 2:58 to seal the deal for Lakehead.

The final tally for shots on goal was 34 per side.

Both teams were held scoreless on the power play in a cleanly-played game, with Lakehead having only three attempts with the man-advantage and Toronto just one.

The win snaps a three-game losing skid and improves the Wolves' OUA record to 5-6-1 (7-8-1 overall), good for a sixth-place tie in the West Division.

Source:  thunderwolveshockey.com



Guelph 6 Western 4

LONDON, Ont. – The Gryphons men's hockey team extended their overall win streak to five straight games on Friday night thanks to a 6-4 road win over the Western Mustangs at Thompson Arena in London. Six different players found the back of the net for the Gryphons, while rookie goalie Jason Da Silva made 39 saves for his fifth straight victory as the Gryphons improved to 7-3-1 on the season. With the loss, Western falls to 3-7-1.
The Gryphons received contributions from all over the lineup Friday, including a pair of special teams goals thanks to short-handed tally from Manny Gialedakis and a power play marker from Scott Simmonds. Every time the Mustangs were able to find the back of the net, the Gryphons were quick to answer. On three different occasions, the Mustangs trimmed the deficit to one, and each time the Gryphons responded with a goal of their own to push the lead back to two. Three of the Gryphons' six goals came in the 2nd period.
After second year forward Ryan Migliaccio scored his 1st of the season to give the Gryphons a 2-1 lead, team captain Scott Simmonds would pot his 4th of the season to make it a 3-1 game. Rookie forward Todd Winder picked up an assist on the Simmonds goal, and would later add a goal of his own in the 3rd period to make it a 5-3 game. Winder currently leads the Gryphons in goals (6) and points (12).
With just over a minute to go, Western would score to get within one but an empty netter from Marc Stevens sealed the two-points for the Gryphons. J.P. Villeneuve rounded out the scoring for the Gryphons with his tally late in the 2nd period marking his second goal in as many games 
Rookie goalie Jason Da Silva turned away 39 of the 43 shots sent his way and has now been in net for all five of his team's wins during the Gryphons current win streak.
Friday night's game marked the first of a back-to-back for the Gryphons, who will now head to St. Catharines for a Saturday night matchup with the Brock Badgers. Puck drop is set for 7:15pm at the Seymour-Hannah Centre.

Source: gryphons.ca



Ottawa 4 Carleton 3

After a pair of unsuccessful comeback attempts against the Carleton Ravens this season, the third time was the charm as the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees men’s hockey team won by a score of 4-3 at the Colonel By Classic on November 17.

“We’ve been struggling in the past few weeks to finish games, or start games, or put up complete games. Even though we were down 2-1 going into the third I thought we were playing well enough to be in the game,” head coach Patrick Grandmaître said following the game. “I’m happy for the guys … they’ve been working hard, we’re in every game, we’re aggressive. It’s fun for the kids to get rewarded and that’s my biggest takeaway from this.”

The game opened at a cautious pace, with both teams sticking to their systems in hopes of their opponent making the first mistake. As the period progressed, the Gee-Gees began to push the pace, as they pressured the Ravens with 11 shots on goal. The Ravens meanwhile, managed only 5 shots through most of the opening frame, before a late power play opportunity sent a flurry of shots at Gee-Gees goaltender Graham Hunt.

Carleton opened the scoring following a scramble in the crease. Hunt made the initial save before Ravens defender Josh Burnside tucked in the rebreed midway through the second period.

It didn’t take long for the Gee-Gees to respond, as Patrick White tucked in the puck from a bad angle to knot the game at one. The goal marked White’s first career goal as a Gee-Gee in his first career regular season game.

With just 34 seconds to go on the clock in the second period, Ravens forward Adam Chapman sent a quick wrister on goal, and put it over the shoulder of Hunt to give Carleton the lead.

“Usually the third period is our period. Unfortunately we’ve not had the lead much the past couple games, we’ve been behind trying to get back in the game,” Grandmaître said. “Our conditioning is really good so we usually come out hard in the third. That’s what we were banking on in the third—our legs would keep going and going, and this is what happened tonight.”

Ottawa would waste no time scoring a quick goal of their own, as Mitchell Gibson tapped in a loose puck 33 seconds into the third to tie the game. A wrist shot from Médric Mercier at the point just three minutes later would then give the Gee-Gees their first lead of the night.

The Gee-Gees would maintain strong defensive play over the course of the third to maintain the one goal lead. A lucky bounce enhanced their lead late, as Kevin Domingue’s shot sailed over the net, off the glass, then hit Brassard’s back and fell into the goal.

The Ravens pressured late, but came up short, as they managed a single goal with five seconds remaining to cut the Gee-Gees lead to one. Ottawa returns to action tomorrow when they host the RMC Paladins as part of Military Appreciation Night.

Source: geegees.ca



Concordia 1 McGill 2

MONTREAL -- Centre Jerome Verrier set up the opening goal and then scored the game-winner midway through the final period as No.6-ranked McGill skated to a 2-1 victory over visiting Concordia in an OUA men's hockey thriller before a near capacity crowd of 937 at McConnell Arena, Friday.

The result avenged a 3-2 set-back to the Stingers on Oct. 13 and improved McGill's record to 101-97-14 in 212 lifetime meetings with their cross-town rivals, including 10 victories in their last 12 confrontations with Concordia. More importantly, it improved McGill's regular season win streak to five, ended the Stingers win streak at five, and gave the OUA East division-leading Redmen some breathing room atop the standings with an 11-2 record, four points ahead of second-place Concordia and Carleton, who have identical 8-2-1 records.

McGill, which went 1-for-7 on the power-play, opening the scoring just 2:26 into the first period when defenceman Dominic Talbot-Tassi converted a niifty three-way passing play with Verrier and rearguard Nathan Chiarlitti, on a 5-on-3 manpower advantage. Concordia evened the count at 1-1 early in the middle stanza when Dominic Beauchemin struck pay-dirt at the 1:02 mark.

Verrier, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound economics junior from Drummondville, Que., then pounced on a loose puck in a mad scramble at 9:26 of the final stanza and jammed it past prone Concordia netminder Marc-Antoine Turcotte, who was credited with 37 saves in a losing cause. Verrier, who leads the Redmen in points, now sits third in the OUA scoring race with a 4-15-19 record in 13 games, two points shy of his career-best season total of 6-15-21 accomplished during his sophomore campaign.

"Verrier was great and led the team in ice-time tonight, which is unusual for a forward," said McGill head coach Kelly Nobes. "But with all of our power-play and penalty-killing (opportunities) in the game, he played a lot, especially in the last 10 minutes and was great at both ends of the ice."

The Redmen outshot their guests 39-22, including a 16-6 advantage in the third period. McGill earned this victory with good old fashioned hard work, killing off all eight Concordia power-plays, including a late five-minute boarding major, accompanied by an automatic game misconduct penalty, assessed at 13:12 of the final stanza to Christophe Lalonde. The infraction incurs a one-game suspension. McGill's PK unit now ranks third in the 20-team league with an 87.7 per cent success rate.

"Our penalty-kill was really good tonight," added Nobes. "Not only did we not get scored on but we also didn't give them many chances to score. Our PK unit played a  lot of minutes -- with Jan KaminskySamuel TremblayAlexandre Sills and Verrier up front -- and were very effective at shutting down a pretty good power-play. The Stingers have four skilled forwards working the puck around pretty well and (Carl) Neil working the back end."

Goaltender Louis-Philip Guindon, a 6-foot-1, 183-pound science sophomore from Saint-Joseph-du-Lac, Que., turned aside 21 of 22 shots for his league-leading ninth victory in 11 decisions. He lowered his goals-against average to 2.01 and his save percentage to .931.

McGill's offence ranks fourth in the nation in goals per game (4.15), behind Alberta (5.27), Acadia (4.79) and UNB (4.31). McGill's defence also ranks fourth-best in goals-against average (1.99), trailing Alberta (1.73), UNB (1.92) and UQTR (1.98).

The bitter Redmen-Stingers rivalry resumes with a rematch on Saturday night (Nov. 18) at Concordia's Ed Meagher Arena on the west-end Loyola campus. Puck drop is 7:30 p.m.

REDMEN RAP: A trio of former Redmen made a splash in the local business community this week when Transcontinental, Inc., under the guidance of CEO François Olivier, who skated for McGill from 1985 to 1988, announced the sale of Courrier Laval -- a 71-year-old publication described as a jewel of the weekly newspaper landscape in Quebec -- to 2M Media. The acquiring company is led by younger brother and president Martin Olivier (1989-1992) as well as vice-president Martin Routhier (1993-1998).

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



Laurier 2 Brock 3

The Brock University men's hockey team came from behind to defeat the Laurier Golden Hawks by the score of 3-2 in overtime Friday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre,

Laurier opened the scoring with two minutes left in the first period as Jeremy Pullara beat Brock starter Clint Windsor to take a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes into the second period, Laurier's Matt Franczyk and Anthony Conti setup Erik Pushka for the power play marker to go up 2-0 after 40 minutes.

Early in the third period, Brock forward Sammy Banga would make two nice moves on the Laurier defense and beat goaltender Chris Festarini to make it a one goal game.

With one minute and 23 seconds remaining in regulation, the Badgers pulled Windsor for the extra attacker. With the pressure on, Brock would get two key chances to tie the game.

After two warnings for taking the net off its moorings, Laurier would be called a third time as Brock was awarded a penalty shot with 31 seconds remaining. On the penalty shot, Banga buried the backend on the outstretched Festarini sending it to overtime.

Three minutes into the overtime, Brock's Skylar Pacheco found Josh Timpano who slid it past Festarini for the game-winner..

Windsor recorded 34 saves for the victory, while Festarini collected 29 saves in the loss.

The Badgers return to action Saturday night at 7:15 PM when they host the Guelph Gryphons at the Seymour-Hannah Centre

Source: gobadgers.ca



Ryerson 2 Windsor 7

The Lancer men's hockey team used a strong second period to beat the visiting Ryerson Rams decisively, 7-2 on Friday night at South Windsor Arena.
The Lancers were coming off a tough 2-1 loss at Laurier last week and were eager to return to home ice and have a chance to get back on the right side of a scoreboard. Windsor improves to 4-4-3 on the season, while the second place Rams move to 8-4-0.
Blake Richard made 34 saves on 36 shots to earn the win in net for the Blue & Gold. Ryerson's starting goalie Mario Culina stopped 20 of the 25 shots he faced while his relief, Taylor Dupuis stopped nine of his 11 shots.
Both teams went 1/3 on their penalty kills, each serving 18 minutes in the box. The Lancers outshot the Rams, putting 41 pucks on net while the Rams only managed 36.
The Lancers started the game strong with Ryan Shaw getting the Blue & Gold on the board early off a feed from Kyle Haas and Adam Burnett. Not long after, Brennen Feasey netted a power play goal with help of Konnor Haas and Josh Slegers.
At the 5:43 mark of the first period the Lancers were up 2-0 and looked to be in control of the game. However, Matt Mistele was able to stop the bleeding for the Rams when he beat Lancer goalie Blake Richard for a power play goal at the 14:50 mark in the first. The Lancers would quickly restore their two goal lead less than two minutes later when Chris Scott got one past Culina.  The score after 20 read 3-1 Lancers.
In the second period the Lancers added to their lead when Burnett scored at the 15:19 mark of the second period. Soon after, Culina would be beat again when Ian Parker was able to capitalize on a great rebound. After being outscored 2-0 in the second period, the Rams beat Richard again when Marcus Hinds scored off a feed from Gregory DiTomaso. The Lancers netted two goals after that by Dan Beaudoin and Kyle Hope respectively on their way to an impressive 7-2 victory.

Source: golancers.ca



UOIT 4 Nipissing 3

NORTH BAY, Ont. – The UOIT men's hockey team picked up their third straight victory with a 4-3 shootout win over the Nipissing Lakers on the road.
Despite giving up another third period lead, UOIT managed to earn two points with their second consecutive shootout win. The Ridgebacks beat Ottawa 5-4 last weekend in Oshawa after giving up a three-goal lead in the third period.
Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.), who scored the shootout winner against the Gee-Gees, got the lone goal on Friday as he found the back of the net in the second round. In goal, Tyson Teichmann (Belleville, Ont.) would stop all three Nipissing shooters to pick up the win.

Teichmann earned his fourth win of the year, making 35 saves including three in the overtime period. Former Niagara IceDog Brent Moran matched Teichmann's 35-save performance in the losing effort.
Blasko would score the final goal in the shootout to go along with the game's first, scoring four minutes into the opening period with captain Danny Elser (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) picking up an assist. Elser returned to the line-up after missing the previous four games with an injury.

Elser would pick up his second assist late in the first period, as Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.) scored his eighth goal of the year off a rebound from a point shot by Jesse Baird (Brampton, Ont.). Robinson is in the top five in OUA goal scoring this season and is on a five-game point streak.
North Bay would battle back with goals from Brett Hargrave and Deverick Ottereyes in the second period, but UOIT would regain the lead when Ryan Doucette (Waterloo, Ont.) would whack home a rebound from the slot with just under five minutes to go in the frame. Anthony Latina (Scarborough, Ont.) and Loren Ulett (Port Perry, Ont.) recorded assists.
Nipissing managed to tie the game once again as Guillaume Naud converted on a power play with seven minutes to go in the third, setting up overtime and a shootout.
With the win, UOIT (5-5-1) moves into seventh place in the OUA eastern conference, one point ahead of the Lakers (4-5-2).

The Ridgebacks will finish up their weekend road trip up north with a Saturday night match up against the Laurentian Voyageurs. The Voyageurs have struggled so far this season posting a 2-9-0 record and have lost four straight.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com



Queen’s 8 Laurentian 2

SUDBURY, Ont. (November 17, 2017) – The Queen's Gaels (5-3-3) picked up a much needed 8-2 victory over the Laurentian Voyageurs (2-9-0) on Friday night. The offensive outburst came at a great time for the Gaels as they had dropped their last two contests. Ryan Bloom (Calgary) led the way for Queen's with four points (1G, 3A) while Slater Doggett (Oakville, Ont.) added two goals and an assist.
The first period saw the Gaels get out to a quick lead when Darcy Greenaway (Wilton, Ont.) recorded his fourth of the season from Warren Steele (Williamsburg, Ont.) and Doggett. Doggett would add his seventh of the season later in the period to give the Gaels a 2-0 lead heading into the second.
Laurentian would cut the Gaels lead to 2-1 at 6:25 when Richard Therrien beat Jacob Brennan (Halifax). After that it was all Queen's, as the Tricolour added three goals of their own. Doggett and Greenaway both scored their second of the night while Damian Bourne added one for the Gaels as they would take a 5-1 lead into the third frame.
The third period saw the Gaels add to their best offensive game of the season with three more goals. Bloom would score his fourth of the season while Patrick Sanvido (Guelph, Ont.) and Shawn Boudreau (Kentville, N.S.) scored their first goals of the season.
Brennan picked up the win in net for the Gaels with 16 saves while Gunner Rivers made 17 saves in the loss for the Voyageurs.

Source: gogaelsgo.com



Other Scores:




November 18, 2017

York 3 Windsor 5

The Lancer men's hockey team won their second straight game, coming from behind to defeat the No. 7 ranked York Lions 5-3 on Saturday afternoon at South Windsor Arena.
Windsor improves to 5-4-3 with the win, while the Lions fall to 9-4-0.

The first period saw a lot of action. The first goal of the game was scored within the first minute by York's Trevor Petersen and assisted by Shayne Rover. Windsor followed up with a goal of their own at 7:19, with Ryan Shaw scoring and Kody Gagnon and Kyle Hope assisting.
The Lions took the puck back a few minutes later and Josh LaFrance added another goal for the Lions. This brought the score at the end of the period to 2-1 in favour of the Lions.
Unlike the first period, the second period was very quiet with neither team scoring a goal.
However, scoring resumed in the first minute of the third period with the Lancers' Konner Haas, assisted by Hope and Kyle Haas, just 29 seconds in. Windsor scored again to take their first lead of the game. This time, it was Chris Scott with Gagnon and Eric Palazzola with the assists.
The Lancers kept adding to their lead with a goal from Konner on a power play and another from Shaw on an empty net.
The Lions regained control of the puck in the final minute of play with a goal by Andrew Doyle but it wasn't enough to catch up and the game ended 5-3 in favour of the Blue & Gold.

Source: golancers.ca



Carleton 2 UQTR 4

Trois-Rivières, QC – The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team was defeated 4-2 at the hands of the UQTR Patriotes at Le Colisee on Saturday night.

The Ravens got into penalty trouble early in the period but were able to kill off several Patriotes man advantages.

However, the UQTR opened the scoring after a defensive break down by the Ravens, when winger Jason Lavalle beat Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) for the 1-0 lead.

Carleton outshot UQTR 10 to 6 in the opening period.

Four minutes into the second period, UQTR added to their lead when defenceman Bruno-Carl Denis put the puck past Brassard for the 2-0 advantage.

Ravens forward Dakota Odgers (Spy Hill, SK) cut the lead to one by burying his first tally of the season and the first U SPORTS goal of his career.

Eight minutes into the third period, the Patriotes restored their two-goal lead when defenceman Julien Bahl put the puck into the back of net.

Patriotes winger Christophe Boivin converted on a scoring chance to put them ahead 4-1.

The Ravens responded when Josh Burnside (Brampton, ON) added his second goal of season, but the Ravens comeback efforts fell short.

The Ravens took seven penalties on the night, but were able to kill them all of successfully.

Carleton head coach Shaun Van Allen was happy to see his team stick to their system during the game.

“I thought we played one of our best games of the year,” said Van Allen. “We never gave up and battled hard to the end. I thought we played simpler and harder. When you play more of your system you look fresher, you look quicker and are a tougher team to play against.”

Source: goravens.ca



RMC 1 Ottawa 2

The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees men’s hockey team wrapped up the weekend with a 2-1 overtime win over the RMC Paladins on November 18 at the Minto Sports Complex.

“It wasn’t an exquisite win tonight, but I thought we carried the play most of the game. A lot of these guys played well, but they played well as well,” head coach Patrick Grandmaître said following the game. “You can’t expect an easy game against them cause they work hard, they’re structured, and they’ve got good goaltending. Happy for our guys, big four point weekend, and stuff to build on."

The game opened to a torrid pace with teams quickly exchanging rushes up ice in hopes of generating shots on goal. RMC was first to crack the scoreboard, as Bennett Huber buried a centering effort with 21 seconds to go in the first period. The Gee-Gees were quick to reply with a tally of their own when Jacob Sweeney’s quick wrist shot snuck under the arm of Paladins goaltender Daniel Vautour and into the back of the net just over two minutes into the second period.

While there were several infractions generated over the course of the contest, there were fewer power play opportunities than usually. Extra-curricular activities following the whistle often resulted in coincidental penalties. Over the course of the weekend, Ottawa improved their penalty kill percentage with a flawless effort over the course of two games.

“It’s all about coaching,” Grandmaître said of the penalty kill. “[Assistant Coach] Brent Sullivan is running the PK, he’s doing the right system and pushing the right buttons. Guys are following his directives and it’s paying off, we’re climbing in the PK rankings in the league, so we need to keep it going.” 

Despite the Gee-Gees heavily outshooting the Paladins 44-29 through regulation, it wasn’t enough time to declare a victor. In overtime, Eric Locke maintained puck possession down low before getting the puck over to Médric Mercier, who promptly tapped the puck into the back of the net.

Ottawa will now prepare for next week’s contests, when they host the Ryerson Rams on November 24, and the York Lions the following night. Both contests will offer a stiff challenge for the Gee-Gees. York is currently the defending Queen’s Cup champion and tops in the OUA West, while Ryerson is a pair of points behind in second place.

Source: geegees.ca



Toronto 1 Lakehead 3

The Lakehead Thunderwolves defeated Toronto 3-1 in front of a boisterous crowd of 2,591 at the Fort William Gardens on Saturday night, giving the Wolves a weekend sweep over the Varsity Blues.

Toronto's Corey Jackson scored the only goal of the first period on a screened shot from the point that Lakehead netminder Devin Green never saw. That would be the only one he would miss all night.

The game was very physical right off the hop, with plenty of hard hits dished out by both sides. That kept the fans in the game, but they got a little antsy waiting for Lakehead to score its first goal - their cue to throw stuffed toys on the ice in the annual teddy bear toss game.

Cooper Leitch gave the crowd what it wanted with 2:33 left in the second period when he rifled the puck past Toronto netminder Frederic Foulem from the left face-off circle, beating him on the short side.

If the first two periods were evenly played, the Wolves took control in the third, firing 20 shots on Foulem in the final frame.

Brennen Dubchak put Lakehead up 2-1 when he tipped Jake Ringuette's point shot behind Foulem at the 5:40 mark, with Scott Gall also getting an assist.

Matt Campagna almost tied it up later on but was stymied on a brilliant glove save by Green. With Foulem out of the net for an extra attacker, the Blues applied the pressure in the final minute but Sam Schutt scooped up a loose puck just outside the Lakehead blue line and fired it into the open cage, icing the game for the Thunderwolves.

Total shots on goal in the contest favored Lakehead by a margin of 38-30.

Neither team was able to score on the power play, with each side having five opportunities with the man-advantage.

With the win, Lakehead improves its OUA record to 6-6-1 (8-8-1 overall), moving the Wolves up one spot into a fifth-place tie in the West Division.

Source: thunderwolveshockey.com



Western 2 Laurier 3

WATERLOO, Ont. (November 19, 2017) – On Saturday night, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team hit the ice and captured a 3-2 win over the Western Mustangs to move into a tie for first place in the OUA West Division.

Right off the draw, Western tried to pressure the Hawks to give up the puck. This was short lived as defenceman Alex Annecchiarico (Richmond Hill, Ont.) put the first tally on the scoreboard for Laurier. The goal was the first as a member of the purple and gold for Annecchiarico.

Heading into the second frame, Danny Hanlon (Waterloo, Ont.) scored a well-structured wrister furthering the Hawks lead. The Mustangs responded before the period was out as Cody Brown (Wasaga Beach, Ont.) opened the scoring for the Mustangs bringing the score to 2-1.

Minutes into the third, Andrew Fritsch (Brantford, Ont.) scored a power play goal off a pass from Brandon Robinson(Pickering, Ont.), who had two assists on the night.

Although Mitchell Fitzmorris (Ingersoll, Ont.) added another for Western, the Mustangs were not able to complete the comeback and the Hawks came away with their eighth win of the year.  

Fritsch's, whose goal proved to be the game winner, also added an assist to give the Hawks' leading scorer from a year ago six points in his last seven games after a slow start.

Colin Furlong (Cambridge, Ont.) denied 25 shots in goal for Laurier to pick up the victory, his third of the year.

Zach Springer (Kingston, Ont.) stopped 32 shots in a losing effort for Western.

With the win, the Hawks earn improve their record to 8-2-2 on the season and move up to tie for first place in the OUA West standings with 18 points. Conversely, the Mustangs now sit in last place with a 3-8-1 record. 

Source: laurierathletics.com



Guelph 4 Brock 2

ST. CATHARINES – Goals have been in abundance for the Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team. The red-hot Gryphons filled the net again Saturday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre, defeating the Brock Badgers 4-2, while extending their win streak to six games.
Guelph went down a goal but managed to score three straight, then ice the game with an empty-netter to keep its great run going. The Gryphons have outscored opponents 27-12 over the consecutive win streak that began on Nov. 2 with a 4-1 victory over Toronto on Aggies Night.
Head coach Shawn Camp said it was another total team effort, with his offence getting a boost from depth and good movement from the blueline corps.
"We've got a real balanced offensive attack right now," he said. "We're getting production and scoring opportunities from all four lines. And the D is great in transition.
"We dominated chunks of the game tonight, had good puck possession. We had to grind down a hard-working team."
Todd WinderMarc StevensJosh McFadden, and Cody Thompson each scored a goal, while captain Scott Simmonds, who played for the Gryphons' rugby team in the national championship tournament during the day, added two assists. Goaltender Jason Da Silva was solid again, stopping 18 of Brock's 20 shots.
After the Badgers' Chris Maniccia opened the scoring at 17:59 of the first period, Guelph took control. Winder scored his seventh of the year at 14:13 of the second period before Stevens added a power-play marker 51 seconds into the third. McFadden scored another about five minutes later and though Brock's Ayden MacDonald got one back for the hosts midway through the period, Thompson wrapped it up with his sixth of the year into the empty Brock net with 10 seconds remaining.
The Gryphons fired 40 shots at Brock goalie Clint Windsor, 20 coming in the second period alone.
Camp mentioned that Simmonds "did a double" (playing both sports on the same day) for the second weekend in a row. The fourth-year Uxbridge, ON native didn't travel with the team but had a ride to St. Catharines arranged. Camp said when he arrived in the room, there was a roar from his teammates.
"He's an incredible athlete," Camp said, adding that some players will be at Sunday's national bronze medal rugby match at Alumni Stadium to support their captain. "To play two sports that are so different and be excellent at both is amazing."
Guelph gets back at it Friday, Nov. 24 when the Laurentian Voyageurs come to the Gryphon Centre Arena. The puck drops at 7:30 pm.

Source: gryphons.ca



McGill 3 Concordia 2

MONTREAL -- Freshman Michael Cramarossa of Markham, Ont., scored with 19 seconds remaining in sudden-death overtime as No.6 ranked McGill rallied for a hard-fought 3-2 road victory over Concordia in another OUA men's hockey thriller, played before a near capacity crowd at the Ed Meagher Arena, Saturday.

It was the sixth consecutive victory for the OUA East division-leading Redmen -- their second in as many nights over the Stingers -- and improved McGill's record to 102-97-14 in 213 lifetime meetings with their cross-town rivals, including 11 victories in their last 13 matchups.

"It was a good litmus test for us," said McGill head coach Kelly Nobes. "I liked the way we played both nights. We had similar shot counts, tons of scoring chances, odd-man breaks, a real solid penalty-kill and we had another power-play goal. I'd like to see us get more 5-on-5 goals with all the chances that we had but you gotta be pleased with back-to-back wins and the way we went about it."

The winning play, set up by Dominic Talbot-Tassi, was almost whistled down in the McGill zone as the offensive-minded rearguard went down to block a shot and had to dig the puck out of his pants before rushing up ice on a two-on-one with Cramarossa.

"It was down there, deep," chuckled Talbot-Tassi. "I knew that I had to dig it out quickly because I was worried that the referee would blow the whistle."

Cramarossa, a 21-year-old OHL product who now has four goals and 12 points in 14 regular season games, took the pass from Talbot-Tassi near the goal crease and jammed it past Concordia goaltender Marc-Antoine Turcotte with a delayed reaction before the referee signaled that the puck had crossed the line.

The Stingers opened the scoring late in the first period when Charles-Eric Legare notched his fourth of the season on a rebound at 17:19. McGill evened the count in the middle stanza when sophomore Alexandre Sills potted his team-leading eighth of the season, deflecting a Jerome Verrier point-shot on the power-play. Talbot-Tassi also drew an assist on the play.

With a 3-on-3 overtime session looming in the latter stages of the third period, sophomore Guillaume Gauthier put McGill ahead 2-1 at 13:07, converting a pretty-three-way passing play from Verrier and Antoine Dufour-Plante.

Verrier, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound centre from Drummondville, Que., who collected a goal and an assist, now ranks third in the OUA scoring race with 21 points -- 17 of them assists -- in 14 games. At the midway point of the campaign, he has already equaled his season points total from last year, when he posted a 6-15-21 record in 24 contests.

"He's a great two-way player and can play all situations but the biggest difference is the maturity in his game, in all aspects," said Nobes. "It's great to see that he's getting rewarded because of the growth that's occurred. He's become a real leader for us."

But Concordia forced overtime when sophomore Philippe Sanche found the back of the net at 18:14, setting the stage for the overtime heroics.

McGill had a 38-25 edge in shots as starting goaltender Louis-Philip Guindon made 23 saves to collect his league-leading 10th victory in 12 decisions. The 22-year-old science sophomore from St.Joseph du Lac, Que., lowered his goals-against average to 2.00 and his save percentage improved to .930.

The Redmen went 1-for-5 on the power-play and for the second straight night, McGill neutralized all seven Concordia power-plays. The Redmen PK unit has now killed off 19 consecutive shorthanded situations and has moved up to second in the OUA in that department with an 88.9 per cent success rate (64 kills on 72 opportunities). They trail York, which sits at 89.3 per cent.

Junior centre Frederic Gamelin suffered a laceration in the second period and because of the blood rule, was forced to change his jersey between periods. He started with No.9 but finished with No.2, which is an unused number that equipment manager Earl Hawke luckily happened to have on hand.

"He's a warrior," said McGill associate coach David Urquhart. "He got cut on the chin, went to the bench to get taped up (wrapped from the bottom of his chin, all the way around his head) and looked like Frankenstein out there. But he didn't miss a shift and was back out for the power-play." Between periods, he was stitched up by team physician Penny Baylis and was back out in time for the third period.

McGill, which improved to 12-2-0, now sits six points ahead of third-place Concordia (8-2-2) but the Stingers have two games in hand. The Redmen have a long road-trip to southern Ontario next weekend but the good news is that they play twice in the same city. McGill will meet the Waterloo Warriors (5-5-2) and the Laurier Golden Hawks (8-2-2), Nov. 24-25, respectively. Both games are slated for 7 p.m. starts and will be webcast on OUA.tv. McGill will close out the first semester the following weekend, when they host Laurentian and Nipissing, Dec. 1-2.

Source: mcgillathletics.ca



Queen’s 4 Nipissing 3

NORTH BAY, Ont. (November 18, 2017) – The Queen's Gaels (6-3-3) used some overtime magic to beat the Nipissing Lakers (4-5-3) 4-3 on Saturday night. The Gaels closed out a successful road trip with their second win in as many nights. Darcy Greenaway (Wilton, Ont.) gave Queen's the win when he ended things only 50 seconds into the extra frame on an unassisted goal. Jacob Brennan (Halifax) was solid in net for the Gaels, picking up 29 saves in the win.
Queen's opened the scoring at 10:58 of the first period when Luke Edwards (Kingston, Ont.) scored his second of the year, with helpers going to Graeme Brown (Gananoque, Ont.) and Warren Steele(Williamsburg, Ont.). The Gaels would take that 1-0 lead into the second period.
The Lakers would answer back in the second period when Erik Robichaud beat Gaels netminder Brennan to tie the game at 1-1. Duncan Campbell (Brandon, Man.) responded for Queen's to take back the lead at 12:57. Deverick Ottereyes would tie the game back up 2-2 with a late goal as the teams would enter the third period deadlocked.
Ben Fanjoy (Ottawa, Ont.) got the Gaels started on the right foot in the third frame when he broke the tie and scored his second goal of the season at 7:44. The Lakers would respond under a minute later to tie the game once again.
With the score all tied up after 60 minutes, the teams headed to overtime where less than a minute in, Greenaway scored the game winner. The goal was his sixth of the season and gave the Gaels their second win of the weekend.
Brennan picked up the win in net for Queen's, making 29 saves, while Brent Moran took the loss in net for the Lakers.

Source: gogaelsgo.com



UOIT 5 Laurentian 3

SUDBURY, Ont. – The UOIT men's hockey team had spread the wealth on Saturday night in the second half of their northern road trip, which worked out well as they walked away with a 5-3 victory over the Laurentian Voyageurs.
The win is the fourth straight for UOIT, the first time winning four in a row since the Ridgebacks opened 2016-17 conference play with five victories.
Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.) earned his first regulation victory of the season, making 24 saves, while Gunner Rivers allowed five goals on 30 UOIT shots at the opposite end of the ice to take the loss.
The Ridgebacks had five different goal scorers, but Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.) was the only one to finish with an assist as well. Jesse Baird (Brampton, Ont.) and Brennan Roy (Iroquois Falls, Ont.) each had two assists.
Nicolas Dionne opened the scoring for Laurentian in the game just 3:44 into the contest, but UOIT's Alex Yuill (Wellington, Ont.) knotted things up with his second of the season. After one the Ridgebacks and Voyaguers were tied, but Laurentian held the shot advantage 11-8.
An explosive second period saw UOIT score three goals on 16 shots, starting with Josh Maguire(Cobourg, Ont.) scoring his second of the season. Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.) scored his team-leading ninth goal 10:30 into the second, before Blasko pushed the lead to 4-1 with 3:25 remaining in the period.
Danny Elser (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) ripped his second of the year to start the third period, making it look like the game was all by over with 16:35 to go.
That said, Laurentian had goals by Tyler Shaw and Brent Pedersen to answer, but that was as close as they got, even with seven plus minutes to score the two equalizing goals.
UOIT wraps up the opening half of the season with doubleheaders over the next two weekends. On November 24-25, they host the Lakehead Thunderwolves on back-to-back days at the Campus Ice Centre.

Source: uoitridgebacks.com