OUA Men's Hockey Roundup (Oct. 30)

Photo: Greg Mason
Photo: Greg Mason


October 25, 2017

Laurier 3 Ryerson 4

It was an exhilarating evening at the Mattamy Athletic Centre, as the Ryerson Rams pulled away a hard fought, 4-3 shootout victory over the visiting Laurier Golden Hawks in front of a sizeable home crowd.

The seats of the Mattamy were filled to near capacity on Wednesday night, following a day of celebrations for the five-year anniversary of the Mattamy Athletic Centre. With the support of legions of Ryerson fans behind them the Rams knew they would have to perform at their best possible level to pull off a win against the visiting Golden Hawks.

“It’s amazing, the past three games haven’t been nearly this sort of a crowd,” remarked Ryerson forward Steven Harland (Toronto, Ont.) on the effect of the sizeable crowd on the team’s performance adding, “it definitely makes a big impact when you are able to play, and hear the crowd cheer you on.”

Heading into the first period of play one thing was for sure, the fans in attendance were in for a wild back and forth match-up.

As the puck dropped to start the period, both teams immediately engaged the other with their accepted degree of offensive tenacity, as they implemented high-degrees of physicality with quick in-transition passes. Early on, however, it was evident that the Rams were having difficulty clearing their zone, as the Golden Hawks line-up spent ample time on Ryerson ice throughout long stretches of the period. In spite of this however, it was Ryerson that would be first on the board, as Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) fired in a quick wrist shot five minutes into the period, to put the Rams up 1-0.

As mentioned previously, however, the Rams had difficulty clearing their zone in even-strength moments, and it became more evident as the period wore on. Four minutes following the goal by Mistele, Laurier’s Trevor Sauder (Tavistock, Ont.) rocketed in a wrist shot from close range, following several minutes of uninterrupted Laurier puck movement in the Ryerson zone.

The Rams defensive performance at even-strength, however, was remarkably different from their penalty killing abilities throughout the period. The Rams were able to kill every powerplay opportunity they provided to the Golden Hawks during the first period with remarkable efficiency, at one point even staving off a Laurier two-man advantage eleven minutes into the first.

“We were a little weak defensively for whatever reason tonight, but our focus tonight was to win the special teams battle…and if we could win the special teams battle we would give ourselves the opportunity to win the game,” remarked head coach Johnny Duco on the team’s defensive efforts against the Golden Hawks.

As the two teams headed into the locker room to conclude the first, with the scoreboard tied up at one goal a piece, it was a wonder if the Rams would be able to translate this defensive effort to even-strength moments in the second.

As the second period of play began, it would appear as though the Rams decided to focus more on the offensive aspect. Right from the initial puck drop, the Ryerson squad began to overwhelm the clustered Golden Hawks zone defense and the initial efforts paid off. Only a minute into the second period, Ryerson’s Steven Harland (Toronto, Ont.) forced in a close range goal to put the Rams up 2-1.

However, the lack of attention paid to their defensive play would come back to haunt the home team. Just four minutes after Harland put the Rams atop on the scoreboard, Laurier’s Anthony Sorrentino (Woodbridge, Ont.) fired through a point shot off of a give-and-go play to once again equalize the scoreboard. It would seem that the Rams just couldn’t pull their defensive act together to maintain the lead.

As the second period wore on, the Rams offensive play seemed to falter a bit under the growingly imposing pressure provided by the visiting Golden Hawks. Suddenly, the normally precise nature of the Rams passing-game took a sloppy turn, as turnovers became more common throughout the latter half of the second period. As the two teams headed into the second intermission, with the Rams offense beginning to underperform, it would appear as though an improvement in their defensive play would be imperative in securing a victory.

And yet, early on in the final period of regulation time, it would seem as though the Rams would disregard this message. Just three minutes into the third period, the Golden Hawks Kyle Jenkins (Brampton, Ont.) would tap in a goal off of an unlucky bounce to put Laurier up 3-2 on the scoreboard. However, the Rams would not let this lead stand for long, as just over a minute later Cavin Leith (Taber, Alta.) rocketed in a backhand shot to tie up the scoreboard, and leave Ryerson fans in anticipation, awaiting who would come out on top.

Unfortunately for said fans, a combination of fortified defensive efforts halted any efforts for a regular time victory, and suddenly the teams were headed into overtime.

Maintaining a similar strategy to the conclusion of the third, the Rams maintained a clustered defensive effort that kept the Golden Hawks offense at bay. However, much credit must be given to Ryerson netminder Taylor Dupuis (New Liskeard, Ont.) who made several key saves throughout the overtime period, to prevent Laurier with attaining the win. And with that, the overtime period concluded in no result and the two teams were headed into a shootout, Ryerson’s first of the season.

It wasn’t until the third shooter that Ryerson would find its first goal, coming from John Carpino (Maple, Ont.). Unfortunately, Laurier’s Christian Mroczkowski (Kitchener, Ont.) had an answer to this goal, and was able to beat Dupuis on a backhanded attempt. As the fourth shooters from both teams produced no result, it fell to Matt Mistele (Whitby, Ont.) to provide the goal that would put the Rams on top. As expected, the unstoppable forward came through in grandiose fashion, rocketing a wrist shot past Laurier’s netminder. With Dupuis stopping Laurier’s fifth shooter from finding the equalizer, the Rams had acquired their fourth win of the season.

“We stuck to it tonight, but today’s game wasn’t our best,” remarked Duco on the performance of the team today, adding “mid-week games are always tough on student-athletes, with class happening all day, expecting the best out of the players may be unrealistic, but they stuck with it.”

Source: Ryerson Rams

October 26, 2017

Western 4 Guelph 5

Consistency has been difficult to achieve for the Guelph Gryphons men's hockey team early in the OUA season. And while the work to sharpen their game will continue, the Gryphons pulled one out of the fire Thursday night. Marc Stevens and Mathieu Hendersonscored third-period goals 47 seconds apart to help Guelph come back and defeat the Western Mustangs 5-4 in a wild game at the Gryphon Centre Arena.
For a Gryphons team depleted by injuries and suspensions, the points were well earned.
"What a character win for the guys," said head coach Shawn Camp. "We have faced some adversity and this was a terrific character builder, a great come-from-behind victory. The guys worked very hard."
The Gryphons had an answer for the speedy Mustangs all night. But when Spenser Cobbold broke a 3-3 tie 3:24 into the third period with a beautiful wrister into the top right corner of the Guelph net on a Western power play, the hosts had work to do to avoid a fourth loss in five games.
They apparently had fight left in them. Henderson equalized at 11:56 with a pretty toe drag and shot that beat Dan Davies top shelf. And moments later, Stevens went hard to the net and banged a loose puck in near the left post to give the Gryphons their first lead of the night.
"We kept working and chipping away," said Camp. "Every time they took a lead, we found a way to come back."
Guelph looked like they would easily close out the game when Western was whistled for a four-minute penalty in the late stages after Guelph defenceman Patrick Kudla was cut with a high stick. But the Mustangs pulled the goalie and manufactured a chance to tie with a hard shot from the right circle, forcing goaltender Andrew Masters into making a huge save.
Todd WinderTryg Strand and Nicholas Boyer also scored for Guelph (2-2-1), while Masters made stoped 29 of 33 shots faced. The Gryphons outshot Western 35-33, 15 of them coming in the frenetic third period.
The pace was fast and the goals were plentiful, usually coming in bunches. Western led 2-1 after 20 minutes on goals from Trevor Warnaar and and Kolyen Olynek less than five minutes apart. Warnaar got it going just 3:40 in when he beat Masters but Boyer responded for Guelph a couple minutes later. Olynek restored the Mustangs' lead when he tallied at 8:33 of the first.
Guelph came out of the intermission much more aggressive and spent a lot of time in the Western end. The pressure paid off at 6:51 when Henderson entered the zone on the left and centred a pass to a streaking Strand, who managed to get the bouncing puck past Davies.
The exchange of blows continued. Matt Watson was left alone at the point and took a pass from Robert Polesello behind the net, teeing a up a slapshot that beat Masters on the glove side at 8:25.
It took Guelph just 26 seconds to answer as Winder scored from a tight angle to the right of Davies, tying the game at 3-3. Winder's goal was his fourth of the young season.
"He's been on fire," Camp said of the rookie centre from Uxbridge, ON, who last played with the Newmarket Hurricances of the OJHL.
The Gryphons had to be sharp after taking a couple consecutive penalties in the second period but the special teams units limited Western chances and when the Mustangs did get to the net, Masters responded with some key saves.


Source:Guelph Gryphons


October 27, 2017

Lakehead 5 Waterloo 1

The Lakehead Thunderwolves defeated the Waterloo Warriors 5-1 at the Columbia Ice Field in Waterloo on Friday night.

Lakehead came out with a lot of energy in the first 20 minutes and dominated the play, out-hustling and out-chancing the Warriors.

Waterloo's Michael Siddall drew first blood with a backhander that slid under Lakehead netminder Nic Renyard 8:24 into the game, but Lakehead's Brennen Dubchak replied just 57 seconds later with a one-timer from a sharp angle that eluded Warriors' goalie Mike Morrison. Scott Gall and Dylan Butler got the assists.

Daniel Del Paggio took a feed from Jonathon Masters and gave the Wolves the lead at 10:32 with a wrist shot from just inside the blue line that handcuffed Morrison and dribbled over the goal line.

Gall put the Thunderwolves in front 3-1 when he scored from close range with lots of traffic around the Waterloo net, with Butler and Dubchak getting the helpers.

The second period was more of the same with as the Lakehead fore-check continued to befuddle the Warriors, and the Wolves added two more goals and got some timely saves from Renyard.

Tyler Anton fired a slap shot past Morrison at 7:16 on a Lakehead power play with the Wolves displaying excellent puck movement. Butler and Dubchak were once again credited with the assists.

E.J. Faust put the Thunderwolves up 5-1 on another Lakehead power play late in the period with a deflection that beat Morrison through the wickets, with a helper going to Cooper Leitch.

Waterloo showed a little more spark in the third, but the Warriors were stymied by a strong defensive effort by the Wolves in a scoreless final frame that turned chippy near the end.

For the night, Lakehead went 2-for-3 on the power play, while Waterloo was 0-for-6.

Final shots on goal in the game were 26-24 in favor of the Thunderwolves.

Source:Lakehead Thunderwolves


Ottawa 4 RMC 0

The University of Ottawa Gee-Gees men’s hockey team earned its third victory of the season with a 4-0 shutout win over the RMC Paladins in Kingston, Ont. on October 27.

“We were looking for a 60-minute effort, we felt like we haven’t had it all year,” Gee-Gees head coach Patrick Grandmaître said following the victory. “At times in other games, we were really good, but also pretty bad. That was the focus before the game and we feel like we got that tonight.”

Ottawa jumped out to an early lead with a pair of goals in the first period from Kevin Domingue and Mitchell Gibson. Both players used their quick release to their advantage, as they wired the puck past RMC goaltender Daniel Vautour. Domingue’s goal was his fifth in as many games, while Gibson tallied his first of the young campaign. 

The Gee-Gees added to their lead in the second period when Cody Drover outpaced the RMC defence and roofed the puck into the back of the net.

Special teams rarely had the opportunity to hit the ice during the game. No penalties were assessed in the first two periods, while each team was assessed a single penalty in the third. Domingue converted on the Gee-Gees lone power play opportunity for his second goal of the night. Heading into the game, RMC had been assessed 74 penalty minutes in five games, while Ottawa had been called for 34 penalty minutes in four games.

Ottawa goaltender Graham Hunt also earned his third win of the season with the 20-save shutout.

“[Hunt] was good, but all 19 other players were good as well,” Grandmaître said. “Like Assistant Coach Brent Sullivan said, we want to be la crème de la crème and if we keep playing like that, we will be.”

Source: Ottawa Gee-Gees


York 4 Toronto 1

The No. 7 nationally ranked York University Lions men's hockey team travelled downtown to face the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on Friday and extended their winning streak to five after defeating the Blues 4-1.
This was a similar outcome to the pre-season match-up between the two teams, where the Lions won 5-1.
The first period was scoreless for both teams, and the game remained that way until the sixth minute of the play in the second period. That was when York's Reid Jackman – assisted by Nik Coric and Derek Sheppard – scored on a power play. The score at the end of the period was 1-0 for the Lions.
The third period was filled with excitement. Jackman scored again for the Lions. Then, the Varsity Blues took control of the puck and Louis Kereakou was able to add a goal for the Varsity Blues.
The Lions were able to regain control of the rink and added two more goals, from Alex Mowbray on an empty net and Derek Sheppard on a power play, respectively. Assists for the Lions in the third period came from Mowbray, Trevor Petersen, and two from team captain Shayne Rover. The third period finished with the Lions ahead of the Varsity Blues 4-1. 

Source: York Lions


Windsor 0 Brock 4

The Brock University men's hockey team defeated the Windsor Lancers by the score of 4–0 Friday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre. With the victory, the Badgers improve to 1-3-1 in the regular season.

After a scoreless opening 20 minutes, Brock got on the board first, 6:35 into the second period, as Nicholas Santoro and Jeff Corbett set up Matt MacLeod for his second goal of the season. Just 25 seconds later, Josh Timpano found Ayden MacDonald who collected his second of the season for the 2-0 lead.

Four minutes into the third period, the Badgers took a 3-0 lead as MacLeod and Patrick Volpe set up Brandon O'Quinn who collected his second goal of the campaign. With the Windsor net empty, rookie Connor Brownwould secure the victory with an empty netter. Mitch Nardi and Brayden Stortz added the assists.

In goal, Brock starter Clint Windsor recorded 33 saves for the shutout victory. Windsor goaltender Blake Richard registered 30 saves in the loss.


Source: Brock Badgers 


Carleton 6 Concordia 3

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the Concordia Stingers 6-3 at the Ed Meagher Arena on Friday night.

Carleton scored three goals in the third period to hand Concordia their first regulation loss of the season.

The Ravens opened the scoring early in the first with Dalen Hedges (Ottawa, ON) beating Stingers goalie Antoine Dagenais for the early 1-0 lead.

Carleton had its lead erased when Concordia forward Massima Carozza scored a power play goal to tie the game at one.

The Stingers then gained the lead early in the second with Carleton surrendering a shorthanded goal.

The lead wouldn’t stand for long as Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) and Ryan Van Stralen (Prescott, ON) each scored power play goals to put the Ravens in front, 3-2.

The Stingers evened the game on the power play with forward Anthony Beauregard beating Ravens goalie Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) for the 3-3 tie going into the third.

Carleton’s offence caught fire in the third with captain Brett Welychka (London, ON) scoring his third goal of the season, Steege adding his second of the game and Brett Gustavsen (Scarborough, ON) adding the final marker on an empty net.

Carleton outshot Concordia by a 43-19 margin with 22 shots coming in the second period.

Source: Carleton Ravens


Nipissing 2 UOIT 1

More shots and more power plays weren't enough to give the UOIT men's hockey team a victory on Friday night at home as they fell 2-1 to the Nipissing Lakers in overtime.
The Ridgebacks have bounced back and forth this season, never going on a winning or losing streak. They were coming off a comeback victory over the Toronto Varsity Blues on Friday, but were unable to hold on after Mike Robinson (Stouffville, Ont.) opened the scoring on the power play 13:04 into the second period.
He was assisted by captain Danny Elser (Hopewell Juncton, N.Y.) and fellow assistant captain Ben Blasko (Kingston, Ont.).
"You have to give your opposition credit," said head coach Curtis Hodgins. "It was a hardworking game. We didn't give them much and didn't have a ton ourselves. It comes down to three-on-three hockey where we had a two-on-one at one end – muffed it up a little bit – and they came back down and scored, but that's three-on-three hockey. We'll take the point, but we've had better efforts."
The Ridgebacks held their 1-0 lead after two periods and were outshooting their opponents 21-15, but Harrison Harper knocked the goose egg off the scoreboard for Nipissing just 3:35 into the third. 

There were numerous chances for both teams during the remainder of regulation, especially a power play for UOIT after the Lakers took a too-many-men penalty with 7:45 left on the clock.
In the three-on-three overtime the first rush was for the Ridgebacks, but a turnover at the hash marks had them on their heels as the Lakers were on a two-on-one break. After Brody Morris got the puck to Danny Desrochers he held on and beat Brendan O'Neill (Ilderton, Ont.) glove side to end the game and take the two points.
Brent Moran made 30 saves in the win for Nipissing, while O'Neill made 22 in the loss.


Source: UOIT Ridgebacks


McGill 3 Queen’s 2

The Queen's Gaels (3-0-2) fell 3-2 in overtime to the No.5 ranked McGill Redmen (6-1-0) on Friday night in Kingston. Dominic Talbot-Tassi scored the game winning goal at 2:56 of overtime to give the Redmen the 3-2 decision. The game was a tight checking affair that saw both teams register 34 shots apiece.
McGill was able to get the game's first goal at 5:01 of the first period when Jan Kaminsky shot a rebound past Queen's goaltender Jake Brennan (Halifax) to put the Redmen up 1-0. Slater Doggett(Oakville, Ont.) had the Gaels best chance to tie the game late in the period when he redirected a Spencer Abraham (Campbellville, Ont.) point shot just wide of the Redmen net. The Gaels would head into the intermission trailing by one goal.
In the second period, the Redmen went to the power play early but were unable to extend their lead as Brennan came up huge with several crucial saves for the Gaels. Queen's would make a late push but were unable to tie the game before period's end.
The Gaels were able to even the score at 4:50 when Jaden Lindo (Brampton, Ont.) was able to find the puck in a mad scramble in front of the McGill net and bang home his second of the season. The Redmen answered back shortly after at 6:23 to regain the lead on a nifty backhander in tight by Quinn Syrydiuk.
In a thrilling finish, Darcy Greenaway (Wilton, Ont.) tied the game late in the third period on a beautiful tip in front of the net to beat Redmen goalie Louis-Philip Guindon and send the game to overtime.
In the extra frame, both teams traded chances in some exciting 3-on-3 action before Talbot-Tassi wired a one timer from just inside the circle past Brennan to give the Redmen the 3-2 overtime win.
Guindon picked up the win in net for McGill with 32 saves while Brennan was extremely solid in posting 31 saves in a losing effort.

Source: Queen's Gaels


UQTR 7 Laurentian 3

On Friday night, the Voyageurs men's hockey team was overcome 7-3 by the UQTR Patriotes. 

Gabriel Slight opened the scoring early in the first when he beat Joel Vienneau at 2:53 of the first period to give UQTR a 1-0 lead.  

The Vees tied the game shortly after when Khadyn Butterfly scored at 4:45, on a play assisted by Richard Therrien and Nicolas Dionne

 UQTR jumped back out to the lead when Olivier Caouette scored at 8:41, giving the Patriotes a 2-1 lead. 

 The second period took a while for the scoring action to resume, but Andrew Tessier tied the game on the power play at 16:13. Xavier Couture and Luke McCaw picked up the assists on the play. 

 Jason Lavallee would again restore the two goal lead for UQTR, scoring late in the second period at 19:44. 

 Jacob Smith opening the scoring early in the third when he brought the Vees within one at 2:34 of the third period. 

 Mathieu Lemieux again answered for UQTR, giving the Patriotes a 4-3 lead. 

The Patriotes would add 3 more goals for a final score of 7-3, handing the Vees their fourth loss of the season. The Vees are back in action tomorrow night versus UQTR for the second time in as many nights.


Source: Laurentian Voyageurs


October 28, 2017

Lakehead 3 Waterloo 2

The Lakehead Thunderwolves came from behind to defeat the Waterloo Warriors 3-2 in an overtime shootout at the Columbia Ice Field in Waterloo on Saturday evening, earning the Wolves a weekend sweep of the Warriors.

Just like in the Friday game, the Thunderwolves came out with a lot of jump and dominated the play in a fast-paced but scoreless first period.

Each team started a new goaltender from the night before, and both Devin Green for Lakehead and Trevor Martin for Waterloo were sharp throughout the contest.

The tide turned to Waterloo in the second period as the Warriors controlled the puck for much of the middle frame and took a 2-0 lead.

Keigan Goetz slammed home a rebound after Green made a nice initial save on a wrap-around attempt to get Waterloo on the board at 6:59.

Later in the period, Joey Champigny scored from his knees, beating Green on the glove side from right in front of the net after a flurry of action in the Lakehead zone.

The momentum quickly swung back to Lakehead in the third when Daniel Del Paggio scored from a sharp angle after taking a nice cross-ice pass from Jonathon Masters at the 3:45 mark. Jake Ringuette was credited with the second assist.

The Thundewolves tied the game at 10:59 when Devin Fullum fired a rocket past Martin, right after a face-off in the Waterloo zone was won cleanly by Austin McDonald.

Lakehead controlled the play and had several chances to end the game in the five-minute overtime session, but were unable to convert and the match would be decided in a shootout.

Grant Valiquette and Sam Schutt both missed for the Wolves, but Dylan Butler bounced one of the post and into the net. That was all Lakehead would need as Devin Green stopped all three Warrior shooters to seal the game for the Thundewolves.

Total shots on goal in the game were 42-22 for the Thunderwolves.

Neither team was able to score on the power play, with Lakehead having seven attempts compared to four for Waterloo.

With the win, Lakehead improves its OUA record to 2-3-1 and to 4-5-1 overall

Source:Lakehead Thunderwolves


Nipissing 5 RMC 4


Ryerson 1 York 4

The No. 7 nationally-ranked York University Lions men's hockey team welcomed the No. 10 Ryerson Rams to Canlan Ice Sports Saturday night and earned their sixth straight victory, a 4-1 result.
Colton Vannucci scored the first goal of the game, and was assisted by Derek Sheppard. This was the only goal until the second period, when fellow Lion Stefano Pezzetta scored unassisted. Alex Mowbray added to the Lions' lead in the third period with a goal assisted by Sheppard.
Sadly, the Lions could not keep the Rams from scoring. Ram Alex Leader scored in the sixth minute of the third, assisted by teammates Vince Figliomeni and Aaron Armstrong.
The Lions regained control of the puck, and Trevor Petersen added one last goal for the Lions on an empty net in the last minute of the game. His goal was assisted by Vannucci and Sheppard.
The Lions now have a 6-0-0 season record and sit alone atop the OUA West standings with 12 points.


Source: York Lions


Laurier 3 Toronto 1

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's hockey team continued their strong start to the season as they knocked off the Toronto Varsity Blues 3-1 on Saturday night at Varsity Arena.

Trevor Sauder (Tavistock, Ont.) led the way offensively for the purple and gold as he posted his second consecutive two-point effort, finish the night with a goal and an assist.

Erik Pushka (Dugald, Man.) had the other goal for Laurier as they ran their record to 4-1-1 on the season, giving them their best start to a campaign since the 2009-10 season.

In goal, Chris Festarini (Oakville, Ont.) remained unbeaten on the season as he turned aside 29 shots to improve to 4-0-0.

Justin Brand (Scarborough, Ont.) replied with a shorthanded tally for the Varsity Blues late in the third period, spolining Festarini's shutout bid, while Michael Nishi (Toronto) stopped 17 shots in the loss.


Source:Laurier Golden Hawks


McGill 3 Ottawa 6

Kevin Domingue’s hot start to the season continues as his league-leading seventh goal paced the Ottawa offence to a 6-3 win over the OUA East-leading McGill Redmen on October 28 at the Minto Sports Complex. The win saw the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees men’s hockey team improve its record to 4-1-1.

Ottawa scored early and often in the game. Mathieu Newcomb emphatically tore the monkey off his back in celebration following his first goal of the season. Domingue, Connor Sills and Médric Mercier also scored to give the Gee-Gees a commanding lead 4-0.

The offensive outburst from Ottawa forced McGill to burn their timeout just 13 minutes into the contest and yank their starting goaltender just three minutes into the second period. Early in the third, the Redmen scored their first of the night while shorthanded. The goal snapped goaltender Graham Hunt’s shutout streak at just over 100 minutes.

Another penalty against McGill moments later gave the Gee-Gees a brief five-on-three, which prompted Grandmaître to call a timeout and draw up a play, though the power play was ultimately unsuccessful. The Gee-Gees’ penalty kill has steadily improved as the season progresses, and managed to kill off all five infractions they incurred against McGill.

McGill pulled their goaltender with over five minutes remaining in regulation, and tallied one late, but empty net goals from Brendan Jacome and Marc Beckstead clinched the victory for the Garnet and Grey.

Source: Ottawa Gee-Gees


UOIT 1 Carleton 3

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team defeated the visiting University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) Ridgebacks 3-1 at the Ice House on Saturday night.


The Ravens opened the scoring when Jared Steege (Cobden, ON) burst around the UOIT defence and rifled a backhand into the back of the net on the power play.

The first period ended with the Ravens being outshot 8-7.

With Carleton forward Brett Gustavsen (Scarborough, ON) in the penalty box for tripping, Wyatt Noskey (High Prairie, AB) and Alexandre Boivin (Ottawa, ON) made tic-tack-toe passes on a two on one with Boivin finishing the play on a wide-open net to put the Ravens up 2-0.

The Ridgebacks scored under 40 seconds later after Jesse Baird fired a point shot that Loren Ulett tipped past Ravens net minder Francois Brassard (Gatineau, QC) to make it 2-1.

Carleton extended the lead to 3-1 when forward Fabian Walsh took a pass from line mate Adam Chapman (Barrie, ON), snuck by a UOIT defender and wired a shot into the top corner.

With four minutes remaining in the second period Gustavsen was injured on a hit, high to the head, behind the Ravens net. UOIT forward Danny Elser was given a 5 minute major for checking to the head and a game misconduct sending the Ravens to the power play.

The Ravens outshot the Ridgebacks 14-7 in the second period.

Despite having five minutes to work with the power play was unable to convert keeping the game close.

The Ravens were able to close out the game, killing off a 5 on 3 penalty and Brassard preventing any chance of a comeback.

Ravens head coach Shaun Van Allen wasn’t entirely pleased with the effort but happy to get the win.

I didn’t think we were very good tonight, said Van Allen. “I thought we found a way to win. We looked tired at times and we made some poor decisions with the puck but, the power play and penalty kill came through for us.

Source: Carleton Ravens


Western 2 Brock 5

The Brock University men's hockey team scored four goals in the third period to defeat the Western Mustangs by the score of 5-2 Saturday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre.

After a scoreless opening 20 minutes, Western took a 1-0 lead two minutes into the second as David Eccles setup Kolyen Olynek for his third goal of the season. The Badgers would tie the game 1-1 just four minutes later as Mack Lemmon recorded his second goal of the campaign with assists going to Brandon O'Quinn and Jeff Corbett. The Mustangs would regain the one goal lead at the eight minute mark as Matt Watson beat Brock goaltender Clint Windsor.

In the third period, it was all Brock, as they answered with four straight goals for their second consecutive home victory. Scoring for the Badgers were Corbett and Matt MacLeod, who both added power play markers. In the final minute, Brock would get empty netters from Brayden Stortz and Lemmon, his second goal of the night.

In goal, Windsor recorded 36 saves for the victory while Western starter Dan Davies collected 35 saves in the loss. 


Source: Brock Badgers


Concordia 4 Queen’s 3

The Queen's Gaels (3-0-3) fell in overtime for the second time in as many nights as they lost 4-3 to the Concordia Stingers (4-1-1) on Saturday night. Stingers defenceman Carl Neill ended the game just one minute into the extra frame with a back hander that beat Gaels goaltender Jacob Brennan(Halifax) to send Concordia home with the road victory.
In a game of two teams battling in the OUA East standings, the first period was predictably close. The Gaels top line of Slater Doggett(Oakville, Ont.), Eric Ming (Williamstown, Ont.) and Ryan Bloom(Calgary) came out firing and were rewarded when a Ming slapshot created a juicy rebound that Bloom was able to put home for his first of the season at 4:54. Queen's would suffer a tough break at 13:11 of the period when the Stingers were able to take advantage of a clearing attempt that turned into a breakaway for Anthony Beauregard. Beauregard made a nice move to beat Brennan under his blocker with a backhander. Despite a 12-3 shot advantage in favour of Queen's, the game would head into the first intermission tied 1-1.
Queen's got off to a slow start in the second frame as the Stingers took control of the game with a power play opportunity at 8:16 when Dominic Beauchemin tipped home a point shot to beat Brennan and take a 2-1 lead. The Gaels did not fold under the pressure, however, as Doggett buried a rebound at 16:15 to tie the game. Doggett would add his second of the night a few minutes later on a power play to take a 3-2 lead as he received a crisp cross-ice pass from Bloom and made no mistake with a nice deke and finish.
The Stingers were able to bounce back in the third period as Beauchemin finished off a beautiful tic-tac-toe play at 8:58 to tie the game 3-3 with his second of the night. The teams would trade chances for the remainder of the period before heading to overtime.
Concordia dominated the short extra frame as they took the action to Queen's before Neill ended things at the 1:00 mark after skating out from the corner and finishing a back handed shot past Brennan.
Antoine Dagenais picked up the victory in net for Concordia while Brennan was charged with the loss for Queen's, making 24 saves of his own.


Source: Queen's Gaels


Windsor 5 Guelph 3

Saturday night on home ice, the Gryphons men's hockey team suffered a 5-3 loss versus the visiting Windsor Lancers. After trailing 4-1 early in the 3rd, the Gryphons would mount a comeback with a pair of goals from Cody Thompson. The Lancers however would add an empty netter late to seal the win. With the result, both teams now sit at 2-3-1 on the season.
Gryphons rookie goalie Andrew Masters made several big saves in the opening period of play, but wasn't able to do anything about a one-timer from Windsor's Brennan Feasey late in the 1st as the Lancers took a 1-0 lead to the 2nd. After Gryphon forward J.P. Villeneuve was robbed on a breakaway attempt by Windsor goalie Jonathan Reinhart, the Lancers would strike at the other end with two goals less than a minute apart to make it a 3-0 game.
With the score 4-1 Windsor in the 3rd, the Gryphons would fight their way back into the game when Captain Scott Simmonds set up Cody Thompson for his first of two on the night. Thompson's second would come on a wrap-around attempt, as the Gryphs suddenly found themselves within a goal, trailing 4-3 with just under nine minutes remaining.
Despite controlling play late, the tying goal would never come for the Gryphons in what was a fast-paced, physical affair.


Source: Guelph Gryphons


UQTR 2 Laurentian 0

 On Saturday night, the Voyageurs men's hockey team was shutout by the visiting UQTR Patriotes 2-0 in a tough battle against one of the top teams in the conference. 

Neither team was able to get on the board in the first period as both teams battled through an equally matched 20 minutes, The Vees were just barely outshot in the first period 10-9.

UQTR got on the board nearly halfway through the second period and broke the scoreless drought. Pierre-Maxime Poudrier found a way to get one by Joel Vienneau to give the Patriotes a one goal advantage.

The Vees tried to fight back in the third period, outshooting UQTR 15-8. Despite the effort, the Voyageurs were unable to solve Sebastien Auger who stopped all 34 shots he faced on the night.

The Patriotes would add an empty-netter in the dying mintues of the period, earning them a final score of 2-0. 


Source: Laurentian Voyageurs